Default What radio operator's license do you have? (US ONLY)

If you're in international waters, what jurisdiction does the FCC have?

-- Geoff

Geoff Schultz wrote in
:

If you're in international waters, what jurisdiction does the FCC have?

-- Geoff

If you are a US Flagged vessel, FCC has worldwide control of your ship
station, its licenses and YOU!

If you are a UK Flagged vessel, another group of post office bureaucrats
have worldwide control of your boat's transmitters.

Larry wrote in
:

Geoff Schultz wrote in
:

If you're in international waters, what jurisdiction does the FCC
have?

-- Geoff

If you are a US Flagged vessel, FCC has worldwide control of your ship
station, its licenses and YOU!

Thanks for making me laugh at the absurdity of the above statement! But
really, what control does the FCC have over a vessel in international
waters?

Many countries have difficulty inforcing their own laws, let alone the US
FCC laws. How many countries do you think have laws even covering this
type of transmission? Are you telling me that when I've been using DSC to
call another boat anchored at an atol off of Belize, that I should have
been worried about a USCG ship pulling up to me and citing me for some FCC
regulation that they claim that I've broken? If so, I laugh in your
general direction!

It seems that no one is enforcing these laws in the US let alone in
international waters. To me it appears that this discussion is much ado
about nothing. It reminds me of an article that I recently saw talking
about jobs that I could legally do in my own house without bringing in a
professional and/or pulling a permit. I was really glad to see that I've
never done any of them! :-)

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org

In article ,
Geoff Schultz wrote:

If you're in international waters, what jurisdiction does the FCC have?

-- Geoff

If your a US Flagged Vessel, they have ALL the jurisdiction.

--
Bruce in alaska
add path after fast to reply

On May 25, 4:51 pm, Larry wrote:
The FCC doesn't give a **** what CG license, if any, you hold. That is
NOT an FCC license, which is required to operate FCC-jurisdiction
equipment, except for the VHF FM inside the USA, license free.

Sorry about the confusion. To be clear I hold both the Marine and
Restricted Radio Operator's Permits and have a ship station for the
boat. Those are FCC grants. I don't have any GMDSS/DSC
endorsements. I take it that means I'm out of compliance if I use a
DSC radio -- I don't yet. Still, I take a little comfort in being
part of a really big class of people who are not in compliance. As
you say, the whole thing is stupid.

-- Tom.