Bobsprit

Default Do I really have to get a HAM license?

My friend told me I need to learn morse code, radio theory, rules and
regulations in order to pass the Ham license test. Why can't I just operate
without a license? Who will know?

RB

Bobsprit

My friend told me I need to learn morse code, radio theory, rules and
regulations in order to pass the Ham license test. Why can't I just operate
without a license? Who will know?

RB

Well, there are many pirate/fake call sign operators out there, but legit
operators may not want to talk to you if you can't give a valid call sign.
Also, in the rare case that the FCC catches you, they can lay a big fine on you
and block you from getting a license in the future.
I heard of some people who carry ham radios with no license aboard as a safety
item and to simply monitor. I'm sure someone has the specifics on all of this.

RB
Wally

Bobsprit wrote:

My friend told me I need to learn morse code,

I thought there were classes of licence where morse wasn't needed. (There's
been a non-morse class in the UK for years.)

radio theory, rules and regulations

To be an uncaught and unlicenced operator, you'd have to know enough of the
rules and regs to know what to avoid, and enough about radio theory to be
able to avoid them. IOW, you could be caught if you operate the set and
cause interference to others. Since you have to know stuff, you might as
well do the test and get the ticket.

in order to pass the Ham license test.

I did the novice test in the UK years ago - it was more technical than the
marine VHF one, but I wouldn't say it was hard. I do have some background in
electronics, which probably helped, but ISTR it was basic stuff like ohms
law.

--
Wally
www.artbywally.com

Bobsprit

My friend says the no-code license is for VHF wavelengths and shorter. To
use the HF SSB portion a code test is required. I figured I would use my CB
radio handle and the 10 code to blend right in. Today's electronic equipment
is so sophisticated I don't really have to know how to work the radio.
That's a big 10-4, if you know what I mean!

RB

"Wally" wrote in message
Bobsprit wrote:

[...]

Bobsprit

Today's electronic equipment
is so sophisticated I don't really have to know how to work the radio.
That's a big 10-4, if you know what I mean!

That one was a dud. Should have stopped while you had some laughs.

RB

Wally

A Bobsprit imposter wrote:

I would use my CB radio handle ...

Is that "Faker"? (Damn...)

--
Wally
www.artbywally.com

Jonathan Ganz

No, it would be "loser."

"Wally" wrote in message
A Bobsprit imposter wrote:

I would use my CB radio handle ...

Is that "Faker"? (Damn...)

--
Wally
www.artbywally.com

Maxprop

"Bobsprit" wrote in message

My friend told me I need to learn morse code, radio theory, rules and
regulations in order to pass the Ham license test. Why can't I just

operate
without a license? Who will know?

Stick to 11M if you want to operate outlaw. You'll have to give a call sign
on ham, and many hams check out those calls with the ARRL database. If your
call comes up bogus, just about any ham will turn your butt in to the FCC.
Hams police their own bands--always have, always will.

Max

Bobsprit

I do have a legitimate Ham radio license. My call sign is K7UGA.

RB