Maxprop

Default Do I really have to get a HAM license?

"Bobsprit" wrote in message

I do have a legitimate Ham radio license. My call sign is K7UGA.

Believe it or not, that puts you in even more jeopardy if you decide to work
outlaw on the ham bands. Use your call sign, and they know who you are.
Work out of your band privileges, and someone will no doubt remind you
politely. Keep on doing it and that same individual will report you to the
FCC. Repeated offenses can net some healthy fines, such as $8,000 or more.
It ain't worth it.

Max

Bobsprit

Repeated offenses can net some healthy fines, such as $8,000 or more.
It ain't worth it.

Max

Check the name, Max. This is just some loser who has no personality of his
own...so he clings to mine.
Thanks for all the tips. Not sure what I'll do, probably just get the tech
ticket and wait a while. Not sure I want to spend 1-2K installing a radio on my
C&C 32, since we'll be going bigger pretty soon. But I may set up a home
station soon. Meanwhile I'll use the 11M SSB to play around (not quite legal at
50 watts) with and listen in on 10M for now.

Thanks again,

RB
N1EE

(Bobsprit) wrote

Why can't I just operate
without a license? Who will know?

RB

Well, there are many pirate/fake call sign operators out there, but legit
operators may not want to talk to you if you can't give a valid call sign.
Also, in the rare case that the FCC catches you, they can lay a big fine on you
and block you from getting a license in the future.

This is a good comment. Legitimate operators
will spot you if you are a fake. Taking the
short cuts to get on the air illegally will
be obvious. In short, nearly everyone will
know you are a fake.

HAM radio is not CB!

Operating without a license and people won't
talk to you. They will use the perfect filter
--the on/off switch.

There are many call sign databases on CD-ROM
which vary by year. Hams often look up the call
signs of people they are talking to. It is easy
to spot a fake by the lack of knowledge of radio
procedures, or general radio knowledge, location
and personal information, former call signs, etc.

If you are a significant pain, people will file
complaints with the FCC and use direction finding
equipment to track you down, or else give the FCC
enough information to speed up their investigations.

Many Hams record broadcasts that violate the law
and provide these tapes to the FCC. So if you want
to be a bootleg operator, you better know a lot
about radio, and you better make people like you or
else they will turn you in.

Ham Radio has it's share of fools. And there are
lots of tricks to avoid them. Changing bands and
frequences, using directional antennas, and various
power settings are all tools that can be used to
side step such people.

No one will talk to you if you are a bootlegger or
an ass, or if they do, it will be to berate you to
others by "talking over" you with more power. If
you are talking, you won't hear the s******s and
laughter. There will always be a HAM with more
power than you, better antennas and more knowledge.
Some people will just pretend they don't hear you.

Hams often operate several radios at the same time
and monitor multiple frequencies using scanners or
advanced scanning features of certain radios.
Parallel conversations happen all the time. Bad
reputations spread very fast and some people won't
talk to you or listen to you. The will move to other
parts of the band to avoid you, and you will be
clueless.

Most Ham's take pride in having a good reputation.
They treat each other fairly, trading, selling,
and often give away parts and equipment. They are
generally very respectful people--something you
would do well to emulate.

Bart Senior
Jonathan Ganz

It's not bubbles... check the headers.

OzOne wrote in message ...
On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 03:19:54 GMT, "Bobsprit"
scribbled thusly:

I do have a legitimate Ham radio license. My call sign is K7UGA.

RB

In the Matrix Bubbles....

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

Scott Vernon

"Bobsprit" wrote
Not sure I want to spend 1-2K installing a radio on my
C&C 32, since we'll be going no further than 5 miles.

RuBe

Maxprop

"N1EE" wrote in message

It is easy
to spot a fake by the lack of knowledge of radio
procedures, or general radio knowledge, location
and personal information, former call signs, etc.

Sadly this isn't as easy as it once was. With the entire question database
provided at the end of the license manuals, a lot of people are simply
memorizing the questions and answers, and passing the tests. These "hams"
are painfully obvious when working one with the knowledge. But they are,
according to the FCC, legitimate hams, not bootleggers.

Max

Thom Stewart

No need for a natural born "HAM" to get a license. All you need is your
birth Certificate. That is all you need to prove you're a complete
"Pig's Ass"

Your call letters could be "Oink Oink Bah Ha!" That should satisfy the
FCC.

OT