Pat Fusk

Default Operator's Card: What's a "motor"?

According to Transport Canada, a boat is a boat, take it from there.

Lloyd Sumpter wrote:

Hi,

For the Operator's Card requirement, does an electric trolling-motor
count as a "motor"? The reason I ask is that Near Cove (8ft Walker Bay) is
often fitted with a Minn Kota 30-lb electric, but never a gas outboard.
Does my Lady have to have an Operator's Card to run it? ( I have a card,
but she doesn't) I've looked at the CG website, even the actual
regulations, but can't find a definition of "motor".

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36

Short Wave Sportfishing

Lloyd Sumpter wrote:

For the Operator's Card requirement, does an electric trolling-motor
count as a "motor"? The reason I ask is that Near Cove (8ft Walker Bay) is
often fitted with a Minn Kota 30-lb electric, but never a gas outboard.
Does my Lady have to have an Operator's Card to run it? ( I have a card,
but she doesn't) I've looked at the CG website, even the actual
regulations, but can't find a definition of "motor".

It does if you live in Connecticut. And you have to have the boat
registered to boot.

As to definition:

Engine: A machine that converts energy into mechanical force or
motion. Such a machine distinguished from an electric, spring-driven,
or hydraulic motor by its use of a fuel.

Motor: Something, such as a machine or an engine, that produces or
imparts motion.

A device that converts any form of energy into mechanical energy,
especially an internal-combustion engine or an arrangement of coils
and magnets that converts electric current into mechanical power.

A motor vehicle, especially an automobile: "It was a night of lovers.
All along the highway... motors were parked and dim figures were
clasped in revery" (Sinclair Lewis).

So, an engine is defined as exclusive from a motor by it's use of
energy transfer, but a motor is defined as encompassing all methods of
emparting energy into mechanical power for motion.

And to tell the truth, I have been misusing those terms for years.

I'll be damned.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------
"My rod and my reel - they comfort me."

St. Pete, 12 Lb. Test

Clams Canino

You guys are both right. You're arguing oranges and tangarines.

-W

wrote in message
On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 19:21:04 GMT, Rick

That would be a motorship powered by a diesel ENGINE. Regulators and
Engineers have made mistakes before, and they will again.

Bavarian Motor Works makes motorcars.

A motorcar is not an engine

Yamaha makes nice outboard motors.

An outboard motor is not an engine

Both contain engines.

The people who work with them are Engineers, not Motorers.

BB

Lloyd Sumpter

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 14:14:05 +0000, BinaryBillTheSailo wrote:

Lloyd Sumpter wrote:

Hi,

For the Operator's Card requirement, does an electric trolling-motor
count as a "motor"? The reason I ask is that Near Cove (8ft Walker Bay) is
often fitted with a Minn Kota 30-lb electric, but never a gas outboard.
Does my Lady have to have an Operator's Card to run it? ( I have a card,
but she doesn't) I've looked at the CG website, even the actual
regulations, but can't find a definition of "motor".

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36

Motor=Mechanical Propulsion

If you want to get picky, internal or external combustion "motors" are
correctly called engines, not motors.

BB

Actually, I didn't want to get picky, or know the "definition" of motor
(vs Engine, etc). I need to know what Transport Canada regards a "motor"
because that's the cornerstone of the Operator's Card requirement: that
the boat have a "motor". And as we all know, the LEGAL definition of a
word is not necessarily the "common" definition (eg "consideration").

I'd like to get my Lady to get her Card anyway, so she can legally operate
the Tin Boat, or Far Cove. But she LIKES running Near Cove with the
electric, so she's more likely to get one if it's required for that. She
clearly does NOT need one to paddle Miss Lily.

Lloyd Sumpter - Operator Card #0150026627

Don White

She should have one anyway...unless you plan to retire from boating by 2009.
I would bet money that your electric outboard is considered a motor for the
'cards' purpose.
If I could find my phamplet, I'd look it up.

news

Lloyd Sumpter wrote:

[...]

surfnturf

wrote in message
On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 23:12:47 GMT, "Don White"

wrote:
snip "motor", they describe it as being either 10 H.P. or 7.5 KW in size.

Which perhaps explains the popularity of the 9.9 HP designation.

surfnturf

is electric, gasoline or diesel, it doesn't count unless it is over 10 HP

or 7.5
KW in size. That also seems to indicate that Canada considers any type of

power
to be a "motor", but motors of any kind under a certain size don't count

any
way.

Karl Pollak

x-no-archive: yes
"surfnturf" wrote:

snip "motor", they describe it as being either 10 H.P. or 7.5 KW in size.

Which perhaps explains the popularity of the 9.9 HP designation.

There is no "perhaps" about that. That is exactly the reason. Just as
with 48 and 49 ccm motorcycles. In most jurisdictions, you can drive
motorcycles with engines "less than 50 ccm" without motorcycle
endorsememtnt on your drivers licence.

--
Greetings from Lotusland