WRH

Default Operator's Card: What's a "motor"?

I agree with you Don, at least that is what I was taught many years ago. But
then "ain't" wasn't considered a word back then. I guess I'm showing my age.

"Don Dando" wrote in message
If anyone really cares....

I collect and restore outboard motors. But I think "motor" has become a
misused word as has engine. Here's my cut at it: A motor is powered buy
electricity and an engine is the result of combustion.

Hence my 220 volt powered table saw has a motor on it rather than an

engine.
Also It may be more accurate to say I collect outboard engines. However,
since my auto is not propelled with a battery powered motor, I don't have

car motor I have a car engine. Locomotives used to have steam engines

(ever
hear of a "Steam Motor"), hummm now they have diesel powered electric
motors! Commercial airliners don't seem to contain jet motors, they seem

contain jet engines. Etc-ad inifinitum, ad nausaum.

But who cares? (I do, I've wanted to correct the world on that for over

50
years! That's my position and I'm stickin' by it ) !

Don Dando

"Lloyd Sumpter" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 19:53:23 +0000, BinaryBillTheSailo wrote:

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 19:21:04 GMT, Rick
wrote:

SNIP

An outboard motor is not an engine

Both contain engines.

The people who work with them are Engineers, not Motorers.

Actually, the term "Engineer" comes from the latin "ingenieur", which
is the same root as the work "ingenious" . However, after I looked

this
up in my Funk'n'Dictionary, I found that it's also the root for the word
"engine" so you're kinda right after all.

Oh, and most "Engineers" don't work on engines - mechanics do.

Amazing the arkane trivia you learn from reading rec.boats! (Is this
considered "Off-Topic"?)

Lloyd Sumpter, P.Eng.