rhys

Default Best 34 foot blue water cruiser

On 26 Mar 2004 11:53:18 -0800, (Frank Maier) wrote:

Sorry to be late in responding, I just "discovered" your post in the
confusion of this complex thread.

Well,. that's understandable. In my news reader, I try to spot a flash
of red (unread) among hordes of black (read or ignored) type.

My only response is that I think the OP is really getting his money's
worth out of this one. Your opinions and experience are certainly as
vaild as mine and now the OP has pretty much a full spectrum of
opinions and commentary to pick through.

Ah, the beauty of Usenet. Loads of information and critical thought
and none of it paid for.

I certainly agree that sailing *anything* is better than sitting home
not sailing.

I once heard a similar justification for sleeping with ugly, stupid
people. Sometimes sitting at home is better than going out with loud
morons who haven't a clue and let the hoses rot off the rusted open
thru-hulls. But that's, thankfully, the exception.

Even after all my pro-sloop ranting, I do still include
the Freedom 39 cat-schooner on my short list. Wouldn't it be amusing
if, after all my sloop propagandizing, I wound up with a *schooner* as
my next boat.

Hey, if I find a deal I won't quibble G I might very well change my
thinking, particularly if I decide I want to circumnavigate east to
west G But a ketch still has, in my mind, some advantages,
particularly with a hefty inner forestay and a functional staysail. I
mean, I have a sloop, but one of my favourite points of sail is a beam
reach using a No. 3 on a pendant and my barely used, wire luff "genoa
staysail", a big light thing the original owner evidently couldn't
figure out. I had to reference a brilliant 1975 book called "Sail
Power" by Wally Ross to learn how to set the thing. (It involved the
toerails!)

But in ten knots, that amount of sail will trounce even the biggest
No. 1 and mainsail combo. Anyway, I still have some things to learn
about sloops, so I hope I live long enough to master the ketch. When I
SEE a cat-schooner, I'll try to hitch a ride. I think I saw exactly
one here in Toronto...at a distance. It seemed to move fine G

R.
Frank Maier

Default No Flame War here

"Jeff Morris" wrote:
You buy paper towels that have a centerfold?

"JAXAshby" wrote:
...also a centerfold from Viva

(Frank Maier) wrote:
Ewwww, gross, Jeff. Now I'll never again be able to buy (or use) Viva paper towels!

rhys wrote:
I believe Jax finds them more effective than Kleenex when typing
one-handed to boating newsgroups. Perhaps that's because he once faced
a 'mutiny' on the Bounty. G I believe he's considers himself the
"quicker picker upper" in any case

....snip...

Snort! Keyboard!

Man this is getting to be an expensive thread. First, I need a new
keyboard and now there are *two* brands of paper towels I'll never
again be able to use.
JAXAshby

Man this is getting to be an expensive thread. First, I need a new
keyboard and now there are *two* brands of paper towels I'll never
again be able to use.

you are easily influenced by outside sources. buy another talisman, and put
over your head another double layer of aluminum foil.
Frank Maier

rhys wrote:
...snip... When I
SEE a cat-schooner, I'll try to hitch a ride. I think I saw exactly
one here in Toronto...at a distance. It seemed to move fine G

AFAIK, only the F39 is scoonerish. The F40, F44, and F33 are all
cat-ketches; and an occasional other size of Freedom is set up as a
cat-ketch. The masts are approximately equal or the forward mast is
taller. But for the F39, the forward mast is distinctly shorter. That
particular boat also comes in a pilothouse and non-pilothouse version.
Another of my prejudices is that I don't wanna have a pilothouse out
on the deep blue; so, I'd be looking for a non-pilothouse version.

Frank
Parallax

(JAXAshby) wrote in message ...
congrats, steve.

From:
(Steven Shelikoff)
Date: 3/25/2004 7:26 PM Eastern Standard Time
On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 19:18:48 GMT, Rosalie B.
wrote:

x-no-archive:yes

(JAXAshby) wrote:

grandma, I thought the context was that 200 miles were typical, average and
could be planned on. sorry that I didn't include that in the statement.

Yes,
high mileage days can be had, but are not typical.

I'm saying that in any kind of speedy boat that they ARE pretty
average. Yes sometimes you don't have any wind and you won't be able
to do that much. LIke in our case in a non-speedy boat, we did only
about 160 nm but without much if any wind. And sometimes you'll have
a contrary wind and sometimes too much wind.

We did 60 some nm coming up from Marathon Monday in 13 hours coming
against a contrary wind - mostly about 30 degrees from our heading.
This is way more than we usually do because we mostly travel during
daylight hours and not offshore. OTOH we did 92 nm from West End to
Ft. Pierce in about the same length of time.

So for OUR boat, 200 nm days would not be average or typical. But for
most of the boats that you guys are advocating whilst kind of looking
down your noses at how slow our fat old tub is - I think 200 nm is
kind of a nice easy way to calculate your projected trip.

With my boat, which isn't particularly fast, when planning a trip I
usually use a 5 knot speed of advance toward the destination which takes
into account windy days, calm days, good direction and bad. For the
trips I've done, that's worked out to be a very good average estimate.

That's 120nm for a 24 hour day for the math challenged.

Steve4

Earlier someone reccomended a Freedom 33 Cat-Ketch. I once chartered
one and found it to be seriously difficult to sail. This may have
been due to poor maintenance but raising sails was so bad that we
decided not to sail in light wind. The Centerboard was absurdly
difficult to raise and lower.
Frank Maier

rhys wrote:
A reasonable fascimile of the JAXAshby family crest is thus achieved:
a skipper's cap, argent, with fuzzy dice rampant.

"Nemo surdior est quam is qui non audiet" is the motto below, I
believe.

My mother, good Southern girl that she was (God rest her soul!),
always used to say, "You can't hear with your mouth open."
rhys

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 05:24:21 GMT, "Matt/Meribeth Pedersen"
wrote:

But, if you have good sails that are easy to change you stay
involved in the sailing side and work your way through the
variable winds.

Amen, brother. I use the engine to get out and in of the basin and if
the angle's right, not until I have to turn that first 90 around the
docks.

Motorsailing's fine when necessary, but a lot of people have a funny
idea to my mind of what "necessary" means. Think of it this way.
Today, you are sailing. All day, and maybe into the evening. You may
or may not have a destination. Turn off the cell phone and engine and
just...sail....Better than a session in the hot tub to my mind,
although coming back from the boat TO a hot tub would be kingly
indeed.

R.

Water systems on my boat - need suggestions, please. Adam Boat Building 10 May 10th 04 03:53 PM
Harry's lobster boat? Gould 0738 General 3 December 23rd 03 07:24 AM
Where to find ramp stories? designo General 15 December 9th 03 09:57 PM
Fresh Water Tank Lou Cragin Cruising 6 December 8th 03 09:23 AM
Hot Water Dispenser Conor Crowley Cruising 11 October 28th 03 08:42 PM