Default Pilothouse Sailboats Offer Superior Cruising

Maybe you should get a flying bridge

Wayne.B wrote:
Now we're talking. :-)

I have actually seen a couple of megayacht sailing machines with
flybridges over the last couple of years.

Heck yeah. When you've got 150'+ of LOA to work with, you can put in
all kind of stuff that won't fit on a smaller boat. It can even look
pretty sleek.

I'd kind of like to have a dinghy garage, with room for at least a
half-dozen Lasers, a couple of Melges 24s, a 25~30' center console
runabout, and a 30' IB commuter gig. Then, a hot tub on the foredeck
(with a pushbutton retractable solid cover, of course). A gimballed
(maybe gyro-stabilized) pool room. A boat with room for all that,
who's gonna notice the flying bridge?

DSK
Bob Bob is offline

On May 8, 2:41*am, wrote:

Yes, most sailors want to be as far away and removed from the water as possible.
Twenty miles inland is their favorite place of all.

You see we do share common gound. I agree completly!

I am amazed at how many (I wont use the wrord "sailor") people on
boats could care less about the water. In fact as the OP here
describes the advantages of insulating the operator from the sea... to
seperate from the sea..

Even the guy on the Red Clown was described in the media as
"...terrified of getting in the water..." It gets better. When I
attended DIvers Institute of Technology (a 6 month comercial diver
school in Seattle) two coonasses from LA couldnt even swim! Now why
are you going to commercial dive school if you CANT SWIM?!?!

So people here fill their boats with electronics and gadgets to
protect themselvs from the sea and shelter them slvs in pilot houses
and build fat bathtub boats for intertaining without regard to
seakeeping ability. Its all about selling/marketing/profit to get
people who dont like the ocean but want to llve the life of the rich
an famos with the MOST important critera for boat selectoin is........
will I look cool drinking and eating. The problme is sometime they go
to sea and get into small craft warnings and:
Blame NOAA weather
Killer storms and howling winds (really 8-12' seas 20-30K wind gusting
to 38K)
Curse e

Do we still agree?
Bob

wrote in message
On Thu, 8 May 2008 09:52:14 -0700 (PDT), Bob
wrote:

On May 8, 2:41 am, wrote:

[...]

NOAA weather predictions in my home waters are worse than useless.

Threshold criteria for Small Craft Warnings (at least around here) are
usually based on 5 foot or greater seas OR steady 25mph wind.

Out here they're great... Small Craft Advisories almost every Summer day!

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Bob Bob is offline

On May 8, 10:49*am, Dave wrote:
On Thu, 8 May 2008 09:52:14 -0700 (PDT), Bob said:

Yes, well I was trained as a diver too. But I try not to brag about it where
it's not relevant to the discussion.

I guess Ive been reading too many of Roger's posts and his constant
self promotion and attempts at building credibility. Still that is no
excuse. I appologize deeply for the reference to DIT.

You are correct any true diver would not have mentioned it. I stand
corrected and ashamed that I stooped so low.
bob

On May 7, 10:49*am, Bob wrote:
On May 7, 6:37*am, Ron Heron wrote:

After several years of cruising
Ron Heron
S/V Seven C's

Dear Green Heron:

First off its not a Sailing Vessel (S/V) its a RECREATIONAL Yacht.
Dont try to give it any more dignity than it deserves, which is little
in my opinion.

Next, no where in you list did you mention ANY feature that added to
the STABILITY or SEAWORTHNESS of the boat. your list was all about
keeping your lazy fat ass comfortable. Tell me where do you keep your
Lazy Boy reclining chair and 42" flat screen?

If you want a party barge go get one and enjoy yourself but PLEASE do
not decieve yourself in thinking you have a boat capable of "cruising"
or for that matter keeping you safe in anything where I opporate and
we call typical conditions. Go back and review the adventures of RED
CLOUD and how he faired in nothing more than snotty conditions.

Bob

Hello Mr B,

Ron's boat is a sailboat named Seven Sea's that is why he called it SV
i think.
Im new here lurking 4 awhile. I have a pilot house boat designed by
Ted Hood.
Do u know more about stability than Ted? What kind of boat do u have?
Do u have any pics on-line? r u just another Wilbur,Greg,Cookla.Fran
and Ollie sock actor this place reeks of.

I read about Red Cloud in Soundings magazine. I use to sail the Great
Lakes and 30-35 ft is a bit more than "snotty conditions". IIRC the
Edmond Fitzgerald sank in less fierce seas. I can not wait to see your
boat that handles closely spaced 30 ft waves with ease, well I can
wait because you like wilbur for odvious reasons will remain hidden in
shame behind your mommies skirt. It seems you and wilbur are self
proclaimed experts, yet neither of you have any credibility at all.
What's with that?

Fred

What do you call a man with no arm and no legs and no boat in the
ocean? Bob

"Ron Heron" wrote in message
After several years of cruising with pilothouse and without I've
concluded that pilothouse sailing offers tremendous advantages over
sailing in the raw. Here is what I have found:

1. Much less cockpit glare in a pilothouse - less fatigue, less
sunburn, better visibility.

2. Better environment temperature and sun wise. Can sail for much
longer periods comfortably.

3. Higher position allows for much better visibility.

4. Higher position allows for much greater "feel" of the boat. I can
sail much better from a pilothouse. The sailtrim is easier to get
right and its easier to detect wind and current changes.

5. Access to instrumentation is far superior, no clouded plexiglass
covers.

6. Better airflow through the cockpit of a pilothouse.

7. No wacky tiller to deal with. The wife can't handle a tiller but is
a champ on the wheel.

8. Great view of things going on up on the foredeck. You can see
everything, rather than being down in a "hole".

9. Stuff can be stored out of the weather in the pilothouse.

10. Pets less likely to be washed overboard.

11. Greater protection in strong seas.

12. Excellent for entertaining and getting out of the bugs.

I find a pilothouse sailboat just can't be beat for cruising and would
encourage any serious cruiser to look at them before commiting to a
cockpit boat.

Ron Heron
S/V Seven C's
Biloxi, MS

Sounds like the same rotten kettle of fish the captain of the ill-fated
ketch, "Red Cloud" tried to sell the group in the months prior to his yacht
being sunk in a Gulf cold front by water finding it's way below through
blown out pilothouse windows.

Wilbur Hubbard

Ron Heron wrote:
[...]

I sail on both a 50-foot Beneteau cruiser/racer, and a 65-foot pilothouse
ketch, and you can keep your pilothouse boat. They are bloody awful to sail.

Slow to respond to the helm, won't point, and require an engine the size of
the QM2's to make any progress thru wind and waves.

They are simply downwind flat-water cruisers with no propensity to
seaworthiness.

Dennis.

On Fri, 9 May 2008 09:24:21 +0100, "Dennis Pogson"
wrote:

I sail on both a 50-foot Beneteau cruiser/racer, and a 65-foot pilothouse
ketch, and you can keep your pilothouse boat. They are bloody awful to sail.

Slow to respond to the helm, won't point, and require an engine the size of
the QM2's to make any progress thru wind and waves.

They are simply downwind flat-water cruisers with no propensity to
seaworthiness.

How exactly does the pilothouse affect all of those characteristics ?

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Heron View Post
[...]

First, I will say I am stunned at the outright disrespect some people feel obligated to dish out over an opinion being expressed with seemingly good intentions here. You know who you are.
Second, I have no dog in this since while I own an open cockpit sailboat, I appreciate the options that wheelhouse or pilothouse boats offer also.
Third, I could see where a Pilothouse could have an "apparent" better airflow since solar gain is eliminated or substantially reduced making the environment seem cooler. Anyone ever sat in the shade?
Fourth, according to the logic offered by some regarding the seaworthiness of a pilothouse, how do you feel about catamarans? Which have numerous large windows and high freeboard? Aren't they also considered "cruisers".
Has anyone seen a Shannon Pilot 43? I think the designers there would assert that they are cruisers? As for Colregs related to hearing? Really? Crack a window....
Ron, I say enjoy your boat, it is yours after all, not Bob's or Willard's or anyone else's for that matter. Thank you for your insights and opinions.

27 Foot cruising sailboats [email protected] Cruising 44 January 19th 08 01:25 AM
FS: 47' SYMBOL Cruising Pilothouse in NY Capt. Rob Marketplace 0 November 13th 06 02:51 AM
OCEAN CRUISING SAILBOATS MUST BE LARGER THAN 60 FEET Mic Cruising 1 July 10th 05 04:02 PM
Metal sailboats are superior Joe ASA 11 April 4th 05 01:43 AM
Offer in. Clams Canino General 4 August 9th 03 09:14 PM