Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Pilothouse Sailboats Offer Superior Cruising

After several years of cruising with pilothouse and without I've
concluded that pilothouse sailing offers tremendous advantages over
sailing in the raw. Here is what I have found:

1. Much less cockpit glare in a pilothouse - less fatigue, less
sunburn, better visibility.

2. Better environment temperature and sun wise. Can sail for much
longer periods comfortably.

3. Higher position allows for much better visibility.

4. Higher position allows for much greater "feel" of the boat. I can
sail much better from a pilothouse. The sailtrim is easier to get
right and its easier to detect wind and current changes.

5. Access to instrumentation is far superior, no clouded plexiglass
covers.

6. Better airflow through the cockpit of a pilothouse.

7. No wacky tiller to deal with. The wife can't handle a tiller but is
a champ on the wheel.

8. Great view of things going on up on the foredeck. You can see
everything, rather than being down in a "hole".

9. Stuff can be stored out of the weather in the pilothouse.

10. Pets less likely to be washed overboard.

11. Greater protection in strong seas.

12. Excellent for entertaining and getting out of the bugs.

I find a pilothouse sailboat just can't be beat for cruising and would
encourage any serious cruiser to look at them before commiting to a
cockpit boat.

Ron Heron
S/V Seven C's
Biloxi, MS

27 Foot cruising sailboats [email protected] Cruising 44 January 19th 08 01:25 AM
FS: 47' SYMBOL Cruising Pilothouse in NY Capt. Rob Marketplace 0 November 13th 06 02:51 AM
OCEAN CRUISING SAILBOATS MUST BE LARGER THAN 60 FEET Mic Cruising 1 July 10th 05 04:02 PM
Metal sailboats are superior Joe ASA 11 April 4th 05 01:43 AM
Offer in. Clams Canino General 4 August 9th 03 09:14 PM