Default Pilothouse Sailboats Offer Superior Cruising

After several years of cruising with pilothouse and without I've
concluded that pilothouse sailing offers tremendous advantages over
sailing in the raw. Here is what I have found:

1. Much less cockpit glare in a pilothouse - less fatigue, less
sunburn, better visibility.

2. Better environment temperature and sun wise. Can sail for much
longer periods comfortably.

3. Higher position allows for much better visibility.

4. Higher position allows for much greater "feel" of the boat. I can
sail much better from a pilothouse. The sailtrim is easier to get
right and its easier to detect wind and current changes.

5. Access to instrumentation is far superior, no clouded plexiglass
covers.

6. Better airflow through the cockpit of a pilothouse.

7. No wacky tiller to deal with. The wife can't handle a tiller but is
a champ on the wheel.

8. Great view of things going on up on the foredeck. You can see
everything, rather than being down in a "hole".

9. Stuff can be stored out of the weather in the pilothouse.

10. Pets less likely to be washed overboard.

11. Greater protection in strong seas.

12. Excellent for entertaining and getting out of the bugs.

I find a pilothouse sailboat just can't be beat for cruising and would
encourage any serious cruiser to look at them before commiting to a
cockpit boat.

Ron Heron
S/V Seven C's
Biloxi, MS

"Ron Heron" wrote in message
[...]

Must agree with most of that but I am not sure why you claim the airflow can
be better in a pilothouse than in an open cockpit.
Also, some pilot houses obstruct the view of the mainsail so not all will
allow you to sail better, although you can certainly see how the foresail is
doing.
I have no doubt that Wilbur will shortly come back at you about your no. 11
and tell you what he thinks about pilot houses with their large windows.

"Edgar" wrote in message

"Ron Heron" wrote in message
[...]

What about the issue of big windows with big waves? Seems like they would
blow out; whereas, small portlights wouldn't.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

wrote in message
news
On Wed, 7 May 2008 10:12:26 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

"Edgar" wrote in message

"Ron Heron" wrote in message
[...]

Then again, an open cockpit starts out with even less protection from
the elements.

True, but that's not why I mentioned it. An open cockpit will not stop a
wave, but if a portlight is destroyed, it might be a bigger problem. I'm not
that familiar with pilothouse boats, but I would think that if the
pilothouse section is compromised, there's not much that can be done. If a
cockpit is awash, it'll drain (perhaps minus crew, but that's another
issue).

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On Wed, 7 May 2008 11:13:42 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

What about the issue of big windows with big waves? Seems like they would
blow out; whereas, small portlights wouldn't.

Then again, an open cockpit starts out with even less protection from
the elements.

True, but that's not why I mentioned it. An open cockpit will not stop a
wave, but if a portlight is destroyed, it might be a bigger problem. I'm not
that familiar with pilothouse boats, but I would think that if the
pilothouse section is compromised, there's not much that can be done. If a
cockpit is awash, it'll drain (perhaps minus crew, but that's another
issue).

During WWII the Queen Mary was in a North Atlantic gale with no big
deal 30 to 40 foot waves. A freak wave broke the pilothouse windows 93
feet above sea level, and rolled her almost to the point of no return.
Weak windows should not go far offshore.

Casady

On Wed, 07 May 2008 20:16:23 +0000, Richard Casady wrote:

During WWII the Queen Mary was in a North Atlantic gale with no big deal
30 to 40 foot waves. A freak wave broke the pilothouse windows 93 feet
above sea level, and rolled her almost to the point of no return. Weak
windows should not go far offshore.

Casady

A broken porthole was also what sunk the Ocean Ranger. All hands lost.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_Ranger
Bob Bob is offline

On May 7, 6:37*am, Ron Heron wrote:
After several years of cruising

Ron Heron
S/V Seven C's

Dear Green Heron:

First off its not a Sailing Vessel (S/V) its a RECREATIONAL Yacht.
Dont try to give it any more dignity than it deserves, which is little
in my opinion.

Next, no where in you list did you mention ANY feature that added to
the STABILITY or SEAWORTHNESS of the boat. your list was all about
keeping your lazy fat ass comfortable. Tell me where do you keep your
Lazy Boy reclining chair and 42" flat screen?

If you want a party barge go get one and enjoy yourself but PLEASE do
not decieve yourself in thinking you have a boat capable of "cruising"
or for that matter keeping you safe in anything where I opporate and
we call typical conditions. Go back and review the adventures of RED
CLOUD and how he faired in nothing more than snotty conditions.

Bob

Bob wrote:
[...]

I'm a little disappointed Neil/Wilbur/Greg/......, I was sure you'd pen
at least a dozen paragraphs of cockamamie tripe.

Cheers
Marty

"Ron Heron" wrote

After several years of cruising with pilothouse and without I've
concluded that pilothouse sailing offers tremendous advantages over
sailing in the raw. Here is what I have found:

1. Much less cockpit glare in a pilothouse - less fatigue, less
sunburn, better visibility.

2. Better environment temperature and sun wise. Can sail for much
longer periods comfortably.

3. Higher position allows for much better visibility.

Maybe you should get a flying bridge or tuna tower? Think of the
visibility you'd have then!

4. Higher position allows for much greater "feel" of the boat. I can
sail much better from a pilothouse. The sailtrim is easier to get
right and its easier to detect wind and current changes.

That is actually backwards from the way all the serious sailors in the
world feel on the issue. When you see America's Cup boats putting the
helmsman in raised pilothouses, you'll know that the attitude has
changed.

5. Access to instrumentation is far superior, no clouded plexiglass
covers.

6. Better airflow through the cockpit of a pilothouse.

?? ??

7. No wacky tiller to deal with. The wife can't handle a tiller but is
a champ on the wheel.

That's nice, but has nothing to do with having a pilot house.

8. Great view of things going on up on the foredeck. You can see
everything, rather than being down in a "hole".

Again, nothing to do with the pilot house. There are many boats with
good sight lines from the cockpit & helm. There are many boats with
poor sight lines. Many pilot house vessels have poor sight lines from
the helm. It's a question of choosing a boat that is well designed for
actual use.

9. Stuff can be stored out of the weather in the pilothouse.

10. Pets less likely to be washed overboard.

11. Greater protection in strong seas.

12. Excellent for entertaining and getting out of the bugs.

I find a pilothouse sailboat just can't be beat for cruising and would
encourage any serious cruiser to look at them before commiting to a
cockpit boat.

Sounds good. I wouold encourage anybody u'a serious cruiser to
consider some of the issues you've mentioned.... plus a lot of others.

"Edgar" wrote:
Must agree with most of that but I am not sure why you claim the airflow can
be better in a pilothouse than in an open cockpit.

me too.

Also, some pilot houses obstruct the view of the mainsail so not all will
allow you to sail better

Some biminis & dodgers have the same problem.

I have no doubt that Wilbur will shortly come back at you about your no. 11
and tell you what he thinks about pilot houses with their large windows.

Wait... here he comes now....

On May 7, 11:49 am, Bob wrote:
.... no where in you list did you mention ANY feature that added to
the STABILITY or SEAWORTHNESS of the boat.

You don't consider visibility & protection of helmsman a seaworthiness
issue? My what a narrow view you have.

If you want a party barge go get one and enjoy yourself but PLEASE do
not decieve yourself in thinking you have a boat capable of "cruising"
or for that matter keeping you safe in anything where I opporate and
we call typical conditions.

Must be nice to have been appointed the ultimate authority on how
other people must sail & cruise. Is this an elected position, or did
cronies in high places appoint you?

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

On Wed, 7 May 2008 10:22:58 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Maybe you should get a flying bridge

Now we're talking. :-)

I have actually seen a couple of megayacht sailing machines with
flybridges over the last couple of years.

27 Foot cruising sailboats [email protected] Cruising 44 January 19th 08 01:25 AM
FS: 47' SYMBOL Cruising Pilothouse in NY Capt. Rob Marketplace 0 November 13th 06 02:51 AM
OCEAN CRUISING SAILBOATS MUST BE LARGER THAN 60 FEET Mic Cruising 1 July 10th 05 04:02 PM
Metal sailboats are superior Joe ASA 11 April 4th 05 01:43 AM
Offer in. Clams Canino General 4 August 9th 03 09:14 PM