Default re Titanic ceremony in Halifax

Yyesterday, 18 members of the US Coast Guard International Ice Patrol,
attended a ceremony at the Titanic victims gravesite in Halifax re 96th
anniversary.
http://www.thechronicleherald.ca/Metro/1049961.html

Don White wrote:
Yyesterday, 18 members of the US Coast Guard International Ice Patrol,
attended a ceremony at the Titanic victims gravesite in Halifax re 96th
anniversary.
http://www.thechronicleherald.ca/Metro/1049961.html

I served in the USCG from 1972 to 1976 in the aviation unit out of
Elizabeth City, that did the Ice Patrol.

Every year we would outfit a plane and send it up to St. John's to fly
Ice Patrol. They were about a month long. I went on one of these
missions myself.

Just as I was leaving we got a brand new C-130, #1504.

Last year while I was rounding the Northern Peninsula of Newfoundland I
heard the #1504 call for assistance for anyone on the surface to report
the position of bergs.

31 years later and that plane is still in service.

"hpeer" wrote in message
m...
Don White wrote:
Yyesterday, 18 members of the US Coast Guard International Ice Patrol,
attended a ceremony at the Titanic victims gravesite in Halifax re 96th
anniversary.
http://www.thechronicleherald.ca/Metro/1049961.html

I served in the USCG from 1972 to 1976 in the aviation unit out of
Elizabeth City, that did the Ice Patrol.

Every year we would outfit a plane and send it up to St. John's to fly Ice
Patrol. They were about a month long. I went on one of these missions
myself.

Just as I was leaving we got a brand new C-130, #1504.

Last year while I was rounding the Northern Peninsula of Newfoundland I
heard the #1504 call for assistance for anyone on the surface to report
the position of bergs.

31 years later and that plane is still in service.

The plane must think it's in the Canadian military by now. We like it when
the plane is much older than the crews flying it.
(re Sea King helicopters)

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 09:41:38 -0300, "Don White"
wrote:

"hpeer" wrote in message
om...
Don White wrote:
[...]

When I was in Viet Nam I worked on a DC-3 gunship that was built the
year I was born. and still flying combat missions.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(correct email address for reply)

Don White wrote:

The plane must think it's in the Canadian military by now. We like it when
the plane is much older than the crews flying it.
(re Sea King helicopters)

When I first started my professional career I worked a solid state
replacement for some of the vacuum tube stuff in the Sea King radar
altimeter. That was 1979 and the things were already older than I; have
we yet retired the last one?

Cheers
Marty

In article ,
Bruce in Bangkok wrote:

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 09:41:38 -0300, "Don White"
wrote:

"hpeer" wrote in message
om...
Don White wrote:
[...]

When I joined the Army in 1962, I was issued (new) woolen skivvies and
undershirts with labels stating they were made in Australia in 1941.

They were returned to Her Majesty, unused, in 1973. I wonder where they
are now?

:-)

--
Molesworth

"Martin Baxter" wrote in message
Don White wrote:

The plane must think it's in the Canadian military by now. We like it
when the plane is much older than the crews flying it.
(re Sea King helicopters)

When I first started my professional career I worked a solid state
replacement for some of the vacuum tube stuff in the Sea King radar
altimeter. That was 1979 and the things were already older than I; have we
yet retired the last one?

Cheers
Marty

Our current batch of Sea Kings were bought between 1963 & 1969.
If you have any used ones for sale, let us know.

Don White wrote:
The plane must think it's in the Canadian military by now. We like it
when the plane is much older than the crews flying it.
(re Sea King helicopters)

When I first started my professional career I worked a solid state
replacement for some of the vacuum tube stuff in the Sea King radar
altimeter. That was 1979 and the things were already older than I; have we
yet retired the last one?

Cheers
Marty

Our current batch of Sea Kings were bought between 1963 & 1969.
If you have any used ones for sale, let us know.

I used to say, "If it's good enough for the President, well it ought be
good enough for our lads to crash in." But now the Pres. has a new
machine, a VH-71, I think, nice bird, so I guess it's time for something
new.

Cheers
Marty

Molesworth a écrit :

When I joined the Army in 1962, I was issued (new) woolen skivvies and
undershirts with labels stating they were made in Australia in 1941.

In 1972, doing my compulsory 12 month military stint in France, I was
issued a (brand-new)1951 Jeep(mph and gallons !). As we were granted a
24h furlough every time we had driven 1000 kilometers, I had to convince
my (not too bright) company's quarter-master (?) I was entitled to one
even though the odometer had only registered 625 more units (and that
the tank was full when the fuel meter read 20!)
There was a rack at the back where we fitted a lamp radio set with a 120
V battery (same model as used in D-day)...

--
http://francois.lonchamp.free.fr
Un doigt de linguistique ... et un soupçon de voile

On 2008-04-17 07:05:19 -0400, hpeer said:

Just as I was leaving we got a brand new C-130, #1504.

Last year while I was rounding the Northern Peninsula of Newfoundland I
heard the #1504 call for assistance for anyone on the surface to report
the position of bergs.

31 years later and that plane is still in service.

They definitely were built to last in an environment far more
unforgiving than the sea.

But having an idea of their service schedules, is it possible that very
little of what rolled off the assembly line is still in the plane?

I used to watch them doing touch-and-goes at Willow Grove. Their
ugly-duckling profile definitely grew on me as I watched them
transition between their natural element and the ground. (The warthogs
impressed me even more.)

--
Jere Lull

Titanic Roger Long Cruising 5 April 2nd 07 09:32 PM
Next Titanic show Roger Long Cruising 4 March 23rd 07 05:58 PM
Titanic Scott Vernon ASA 119 October 29th 04 08:31 PM
Commissioning vs launching ceremony/party Glenn Ashmore Boat Building 5 December 14th 03 04:16 PM