Molesworth Molesworth is offline

Default re Titanic ceremony in Halifax

In article ,
Bruce in Bangkok wrote:

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 09:41:38 -0300, "Don White"
wrote:

"hpeer" wrote in message
om...
Don White wrote:
Yyesterday, 18 members of the US Coast Guard International Ice Patrol,
attended a ceremony at the Titanic victims gravesite in Halifax re 96th
anniversary.
http://www.thechronicleherald.ca/Metro/1049961.html
I served in the USCG from 1972 to 1976 in the aviation unit out of
Elizabeth City, that did the Ice Patrol.

Every year we would outfit a plane and send it up to St. John's to fly Ice
Patrol. They were about a month long. I went on one of these missions
myself.

Just as I was leaving we got a brand new C-130, #1504.

Last year while I was rounding the Northern Peninsula of Newfoundland I
heard the #1504 call for assistance for anyone on the surface to report
the position of bergs.

31 years later and that plane is still in service.

The plane must think it's in the Canadian military by now. We like it when
the plane is much older than the crews flying it.
(re Sea King helicopters)

When I was in Viet Nam I worked on a DC-3 gunship that was built the
year I was born. and still flying combat missions.

When I joined the Army in 1962, I was issued (new) woolen skivvies and
undershirts with labels stating they were made in Australia in 1941.

They were returned to Her Majesty, unused, in 1973. I wonder where they
are now?

:-)

--
Molesworth