Glenn Ashmore

Default Commissioning vs launching ceremony/party

I have set a goal of the end of September 2004 for the launching of
Rutu. I have no idea if I will make it but it will be sometime around
that. SWMBO has gotten enthusiastic about planning a party for the
occasion. I think more for getting the damned thing out of the back
yard than getting into the water but the result is the same.

This is no small thing. My pastor wants to deliver a blessing and there
is a fair size local following of fans and volunteers who want to be
there. Not to mention any of you guys and web site followers that want
to attend.

The question is when to have the party. The actual launching is likely
to be a long drawn out process with at least half dozen things going
wrong. Rigging a travellift is not the same as sliding the hull down
the ways. I am thinking a "commissioning party' a couple of weeks later
might work out better. OTOH standing around a boat in a slip is not
quite the same as seeing a new hull break the water for the first time.

I would be interested in hearing what some of you have done or may be
planning.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Peggie Hall

Methinks that a christening ceremony and celebration is the event you
should have...complete with videos and stills from all angles of her
splashdown (which means you'll need several photographers on land and in
the water) and of the major commissioning work

The advantage to that is, it gives you time to find and adjust/fix
anything that didn't quite work as well in the water as out...get at
least some of the commissioning work done...give SWMBO time to decorate
the cabin...so that you can really show her off. On the day of the
christening, dress ship with every flag, pennant and light you can
hoist...hide her somewhere out of sight...and make a grand entrance with
everything flying and a brass band playing (or a boombox if you can't
afford to hire one) on her foredeck. I can just about guarantee a
standing ovation as you slide into the slip. From then on, it's
SWMBO's party...enjoy it!

That's how I'd do it, anyway--in fact, how I did it for a friend who'd
bought a new boat a few years ago. Only a few of us--her closest
friends--were there for the splashdown, followed by a short cruise and
cocktails (LOTS of cocktails!)...we had the big christening blowout a
couple of weeks later.

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Steve

I had only two close friends attend when I launched my boat.. I know it was
going to be a long, drawn out process, with the boat mover, the 10 mile trip
to the launch ramp and then just sit there and wait for the tide to lift her
off the boat stands.

None of my own family were able to attend. Out of state..

I just told myself and all my family and friends that I would hold a "Open
House" at the dock when I got the mast in.. That happened in Dec, not the
best time of year for a Open House..

You guessed it, I have never had an official ceremony or christening..

However she is fully commissioned and has a few hundred miles under her
keel..

No bad luck so far!!

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Graham W

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
[...]

I think that whichever option you go for, you owe it to your uncle and your
parents to make it an event to remember - *really* remember - even if you
don't remember it the next day!

Seeing as it's taken pretty much since the age if 12 to realise your dream,
why not have a launch party *and* a commissioning party?

Graham W
UK

Backyard Renegade

"Graham W" wrote in message ...
[...]

Well there you go Glenn. You have worked your butt off, have two
parties.. Or just one reeeeeeeeal loooooong one. Scotty

William R. Watt

this is a job for project management software

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Zodia Launching wheels? GarryG General 1 June 6th 04 03:19 PM
launching and docking tcoop General 12 November 9th 03 05:32 PM