Glenn Ashmore

Default Commissioning vs launching ceremony/party

I have set a goal of the end of September 2004 for the launching of
Rutu. I have no idea if I will make it but it will be sometime around
that. SWMBO has gotten enthusiastic about planning a party for the
occasion. I think more for getting the damned thing out of the back
yard than getting into the water but the result is the same.

This is no small thing. My pastor wants to deliver a blessing and there
is a fair size local following of fans and volunteers who want to be
there. Not to mention any of you guys and web site followers that want
to attend.

The question is when to have the party. The actual launching is likely
to be a long drawn out process with at least half dozen things going
wrong. Rigging a travellift is not the same as sliding the hull down
the ways. I am thinking a "commissioning party' a couple of weeks later
might work out better. OTOH standing around a boat in a slip is not
quite the same as seeing a new hull break the water for the first time.

I would be interested in hearing what some of you have done or may be
planning.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com