Default A suggestion

I would like to make the suggestion that individuals who pose
questions, especially complex questions like the recent Yanmar
governor problem, be encouraged to post the results. What did he/she
do and what was the result.

We all learn from experience, whether our own or others and I feel
that a follow up post telling the group what was done and what was the
result would be beneficial to all readers.

I still don't know if the guy fixed his governor and what he did to
repair it. If the guy down the dock has the same problem how will I be
able play expert and tell him how to fix it :-)

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(correct email address for reply)

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in message

I would like to make the suggestion that individuals who pose
questions, especially complex questions like the recent Yanmar
governor problem, be encouraged to post the results. What did he/she
do and what was the result.

We all learn from experience, whether our own or others and I feel
that a follow up post telling the group what was done and what was the
result would be beneficial to all readers.

I still don't know if the guy fixed his governor and what he did to
repair it. If the guy down the dock has the same problem how will I be
able play expert and tell him how to fix it :-)

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(correct email address for reply)

I certainly intend to document my light upgrade to LEDs, as well as a few
other electical upgrades. I like to have a photo history of what I did, not
to mention a maintenance record.

Obviously, Roger photo-documents his boat changes. Do others? I find them
interesting and informative in and of themselves.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

It would be nice Bruce but if someone actually posted an authoritative
solution here that from their experience worked there would be at least 3 or
4 people who would accuse him of being full of crap or being to complex or
worse.

I was an active participant here for over 7 years and the old AOL OLYC
before that. I learned a lot and occasionally contributed a bit but with
the influx of people more interested in shooting their mouths off about
subjects they know little about and flaming anyone who challenged them we
lost several very helpful vendors, at least 3 well known naval architects
and engineers and two popular yachting authors. I don't know how a gracious
lady like Peggy who, with a wealth of knowledge and no longer any financial
interest puts up with the rancor and personal insults.

I stopped participating over a year ago because it became a waste of my time
and only checked in recently to see how a few of my friends like Wayne,
Skip, Lew and even Larry were getting along. It has not taken long to see
that the situation has gotten far worse.

With that I will bid you gentlemen adieu. I will send invitations to the
launching party privately.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

On Apr 3, 3:24 pm, Bruce in Bangkok wrote:
I would like to make the suggestion that individuals who pose
questions, especially complex questions like the recent Yanmar
governor problem, be encouraged to post the results. What did he/she
do and what was the result.

Sorry not to report back. I certainly would have posted with glee if
I had fixed it. All I ended up doing was taking a small access port
off that though which I could see, but not remove and measure the
springs on the throttle side of the assembly. It all looked lovely in
there but there was a little stiffness on the throttle crank itself.
So I lubed its axle and worked it a bit. I got one disconcerting
"thunk" out of the mechanism, put it all back together and ran it and
got the same failure then ran it again and it worked fine... By
looking at it I did convince myself that the fault was not in the
setting of the torque limiter. The current plan is to take off the
gear casing next time I pull the motor and inspect the bushings and
springs... Meanwhile I will continue to work around it. Many thanks
for your help and mea culpa for my silence.

Cheers,

-- Tom.

On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 22:36:04 -0400, "Glenn Ashmore"
wrote:

With that I will bid you gentlemen adieu. I will send invitations to the
launching party privately.

I look forward to that and will surely attend if at all possible.

Unfortunatlely "r.b.c" seems to have acquired a lot of the old "asa"
crowd who were never well known for good manners.

Glenn Ashmore wrote:

[...]

Man, Talk about photo docunentation!

Nice work.

Richard
--
(remove the X to email)

Now just why the HELL do I have to press 1 for English?
John Wayne

wrote:

With that I will bid you gentlemen adieu. I will send invitations to the
launching party privately.

I look forward to that and will surely attend if at all possible.

Unfortunatlely "r.b.c" seems to have acquired a lot of the old "asa"
crowd who were never well known for good manners.

I think asa was originally, and for some decent period, an ok place to chat.
I recall when even some of the more strident people, some of whom have
turned into deranged people, could actually have a sailing conversation. I
began posting here on rbc back in 1996... I believe that was around the time
I started posting to asa also. While certainly not one of the first here on
rbc, I recall Glenn and others from that time. I also recall that there were
some who didn't exactly qualify as having good manner then either.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 20:00:58 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

[...]

I wasn't "pin pointing" you, sorry if it sounded as though I was,
simply using your problem as an example of something that I'd like to
learn more about as there are zillions of Yanmar engines and I'd like
to know how to fix that problem.

I read a reference to one of your posts, quoted in part by Roger, that
sounded as though the RPM was only unstable at low RPM, I remember
something about 1,000 RPM.

wrote:

[...]

I tend to agree with you. In fact any post that starts out, "It stands
to reason", gets an immediate thump on the delete button - if it
"stood to reason" I'd have fixed it already.

But I still think that if one actually solves a problem it is worth
while to post the solution. Your exertions in casting the ballast keel
is worth reading if one plans on doing a similar job, for example.

There was a post about epoxying a depth sounder into a glass hull, for
example. I did this 10 or more years ago but some people seemed to
find it a new technique so perhaps it helped someone.

I also find that my kill filing the more rabid denizens in the group I
miss nothing and the whole group takes on a more rational appearance.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(correct email address for reply)

On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 18:50:25 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

There is a chap down the dock that has just converted his complete
lighting system to LED both house and navigation lighting. I have a
standing invitation to drop by any evening and see how it looks but
haven't made it yet. He is working on running the entire boat on three
solar panels.