Default A suggestion

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote:

read a reference to one of your posts, quoted in part by Roger, that
sounded as though the RPM was only unstable at low RPM, I remember
something about 1,000 RPM.

Most diesels need to idle in the 1300-1500 RPM area in order to
generate enough waste heat to prevent
"wet-stacking" which will cause glazing of the cylinder walls,
creating a VERY expensive repair.

Lew

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in message
On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 18:50:25 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in message
. ..

I would like to make the suggestion that individuals who pose
questions, especially complex questions like the recent Yanmar
governor problem, be encouraged to post the results. What did he/she
do and what was the result.

We all learn from experience, whether our own or others and I feel
that a follow up post telling the group what was done and what was the
result would be beneficial to all readers.

I still don't know if the guy fixed his governor and what he did to
repair it. If the guy down the dock has the same problem how will I be
able play expert and tell him how to fix it :-)

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(correct email address for reply)

I certainly intend to document my light upgrade to LEDs, as well as a few
other electical upgrades. I like to have a photo history of what I did,
not
to mention a maintenance record.

Obviously, Roger photo-documents his boat changes. Do others? I find them
interesting and informative in and of themselves.

There is a chap down the dock that has just converted his complete
lighting system to LED both house and navigation lighting. I have a
standing invitation to drop by any evening and see how it looks but
haven't made it yet. He is working on running the entire boat on three
solar panels.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(correct email address for reply)

Wow... I guess you could do that or at least get close. I don't think I'll
have that extreme need or desire, but you never know. LOL

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Glenn:

Like TV, if you can wade through the BS, there's an occasional gem to
be found here that makes checking in from time-to-time worthwhile.

Your recent sewing machine thread (!) is a fine example, and the
replies to same seem to prove that there are many who visit here that
have a lot to contribute

Would hate to see you vanish...

MW
Los Angeles

On Apr 3, 7:56 pm, Bruce in Bangkok wrote:
...there are zillions of Yanmar engines and I'd like
to know how to fix that problem.

Me, too!

I read a reference to one of your posts, quoted in part by Roger, that
sounded as though the RPM was only unstable at low RPM, I remember
something about 1,000 RPM.

No, it is generally stable at low to medium rpms (say ~850-1100). It
may hunt and/or loses power at higher rpms when loaded... Typically
it get progressively better as it gets warmer. I think everyone has
had a couple of swings at this and I'm not sure if there is much to be
gained by going over it all again. But I am listening. And, I will
be sure to report back if I fix it.

-- Tom.

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote:

read a reference to one of your posts, quoted in part by Roger, that
sounded as though the RPM was only unstable at low RPM, I remember
something about 1,000 RPM.

Most diesels need to idle in the 1300-1500 RPM area in order to generate
enough waste heat to prevent
"wet-stacking" which will cause glazing of the cylinder walls, creating a
VERY expensive repair.

Much better to cut out prolonged idling and get some load on sooner.
Start up, and by the time you have checked the exhaust for cooling water,
gone forward and cast off the mooring ropes the engine is ready to go.
In other words, just long enough to spread some oil around inside the
engine.
If you cannot get load on for some time then stop the engine until you are
ready.

On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 06:19:58 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote:

read a reference to one of your posts, quoted in part by Roger, that
sounded as though the RPM was only unstable at low RPM, I remember
something about 1,000 RPM.

Most diesels need to idle in the 1300-1500 RPM area in order to
generate enough waste heat to prevent
"wet-stacking" which will cause glazing of the cylinder walls,
creating a VERY expensive repair.

Lew

And most boat engines need to idle down to about 700 - 800 RPM when
shifting to prevent imposing too large a load on the gearbox.

By the way, while I was in Singapore I adjusted the governor on a
Gardner 6 cyl. engine - 1.500 RPM full throttle. Idle at about 600
RPM.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(correct email address for reply)

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote:

read a reference to one of your posts, quoted in part by Roger, that
sounded as though the RPM was only unstable at low RPM, I remember
something about 1,000 RPM.

Most diesels need to idle in the 1300-1500 RPM area in order to generate
enough waste heat to prevent
"wet-stacking" which will cause glazing of the cylinder walls, creating a
VERY expensive repair.

Much better to cut out prolonged idling and get some load on sooner.
Start up, and by the time you have checked the exhaust for cooling water,
gone forward and cast off the mooring ropes the engine is ready to go.
In other words, just long enough to spread some oil around inside the
engine.
If you cannot get load on for some time then stop the engine until you are
ready.

Actually diesel engines aren't that sensitive. Certainly one should
not idle them for long periods - hours, but it does no damage to let
an engine idle while you are clearing up the lines or what ever. Ever
been into a truck stop on a winter morning and seen the lines of
Peterbilt's sitting there idling while the driver is in having
breakfast.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(correct email address for reply)

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in message

I would like to make the suggestion that individuals who pose
questions, especially complex questions like the recent Yanmar
governor problem, be encouraged to post the results. What did he/she
do and what was the result.

We all learn from experience, whether our own or others and I feel
that a follow up post telling the group what was done and what was the
result would be beneficial to all readers.

I still don't know if the guy fixed his governor and what he did to
repair it. If the guy down the dock has the same problem how will I be
able play expert and tell him how to fix it :-)

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(correct email address for reply)

I agree.

I'd like to know about that bloke with the off-Compass but he hasn't posted
back as far as I can see.
Hoges in WA

On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 10:16:46 GMT, "Hoges in WA"
wrote:

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in message
.. .

I would like to make the suggestion that individuals who pose
questions, especially complex questions like the recent Yanmar
governor problem, be encouraged to post the results. What did he/she
do and what was the result.

We all learn from experience, whether our own or others and I feel
that a follow up post telling the group what was done and what was the
result would be beneficial to all readers.

I still don't know if the guy fixed his governor and what he did to
repair it. If the guy down the dock has the same problem how will I be
able play expert and tell him how to fix it :-)

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(correct email address for reply)

I agree.

I'd like to know about that bloke with the off-Compass but he hasn't posted
back as far as I can see.
Hoges in WA

Bruce is right, but IMO boat group posters are more likely to post
solutions than auto group posters. Can't count how many "hit-and-run"
seekers of help I've seen on the auto groups. They'll provide problem
symptoms, get multiple possible solutions, then disappear without ever
revealing the fix. I've run into many such dead ends that way.
I mentioned here a case of a bad resistor that fixed one fellow's
stalling problem. He had taken it to e-mail. A couple weeks later I
realized the fix wasn't in the group so I posted our correspondence
there after removing his email adder. Maybe it helped somebody.
The computer hardware groups are subject to this too, but not as much
as the auto groups.
Though the Yanmars are fairly common, the hunting problem (if that's
what it is) apparently isn't.
Having had a couple "almost impossible to diagnose" auto problems
that were tangentially related to heat, that's where I'd concentrate
the premise of the diagnostic approach.
Even knowing nothing of diesel throttle regulation, I assume the fuel
pressure/flow inputs and outputs of the governor can be measured,
though it might entail some effort and expense to set up the gauges.
What controls the governor rpm setting? Electrical tach? Vacuum?
Fuel pressure?
Too much I don't know about it. I'm a bit surprised that a good
Yanmar mechanic hasn't solved the problem, but suspect that one has
never been present when the problem occurred.

--Vic

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote:

[...]

I've had them idle all night... not sure what the idle speed was... wasn't
in charge, just a passenger.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com