Rodney Myrvaagnes

Default slip or mooring costs

On 24 Feb 2004 18:17:37 -0600, Dave wrote:

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 14:12:10 -0800, "Steve" said:

I always wondered what boaters paid in and around the Big Apple.

There are places for considerably less on City Island in the Bronx. Around
$23 a foot with launch service. In Jersey City you pay a lot for quick
access from the City. If I remember correctly, hauling in Jersey City runs
about another $50 a foot.

That is a mooring, not a slip. In any case, City Island is a long trip
by public transportation. Taxis would easily eat up the difference in
price, and take a lot longer than the PATH to NJ.

I don't know what hauling in JC costs I take Gjo/a to Mamaroneck for
haulout.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"Never eat more in a single day than your head weighs." --Jim Harrison
Vic Fraenckel

grandma Rosalie wrote:
|We are off the Potomac River in Maryland

What is the name of the marina? I am looking for a place in that area but
have no local knowledge.

Any enlightenment will be appreciated

TIA

Vic

Victor Fraenckel - The Windman
vfraenc1 ATSIGN nycap DOT rr DOTcom
KC2GUI

Home of the WindReader Electronic Theodolite
Read the WIND

"Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long
and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival."
- Winston [Leonard Spencer] Churchill (1874 - 1965)

Dost thou not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?
-Count Oxenstierna (ca 1620) to the young King Gustavus Adolphus

Vic Fraenckel

grandma Rosalie wrote:
|We are off the Potomac River in Maryland

What is the name of the marina? I am looking for a place in that area but
have no local knowledge.

Any enlightenment will be appreciated

TIA

Vic

Victor Fraenckel - The Windman
vfraenc1 ATSIGN nycap DOT rr DOTcom
KC2GUI

Home of the WindReader Electronic Theodolite
Read the WIND

"Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long
and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival."
- Winston [Leonard Spencer] Churchill (1874 - 1965)

Dost thou not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?
-Count Oxenstierna (ca 1620) to the young King Gustavus Adolphus

Don White

Here are fees/membership costs at our home club...

http://www.rnsys.com/Welcome.html

see both page on membership fees and separate page for facilities.

Parallax wrote in message
om...
I am curious about slip or mooring costs around the country. Please
reply telling the costs in your area and whether it is a slip or
mooring and what that provides and if there are any other costs.

Carrabelle, FL
I pay $159/month for a slip at a fixed dock .5 miles from open water.
I have access to power and water. No pump out facility. There are no
other charges. Of course, my boat stays in the slip all year. I am
certain that if I looked nearby I could find a private dock for less
than $100/month but I like being right in Carrabelle.

Dick Locke

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 17:11:30 GMT, Rosalie B.
wrote:

OK forgot to say - fixed docks with short finger piers but our slip
has a full length dock beside it. We have only about 2 foot tides
there though so a fixed dock isn't so bad.

Fixed docks with a 2-foot normal tide are usually OK but I had two
incidents with them...once the tide was so low the boat had grounded
in the slip and I couldn't get from the dock to the deck till the tide
came in.
Then in Mobile, the storm surge from TS Isidore was about three feet
above normal high tide causing all sorts of line adjustment problems
and the docks to go under water for a few hours.

Rosalie B.

Default Fixed docks was slip or mooring costs

x-no-archive:yes

wrote:

OK forgot to say - fixed docks with short finger piers but our slip
has a full length dock beside it. We have only about 2 foot tides
there though so a fixed dock isn't so bad.

Fixed docks with a 2-foot normal tide are usually OK but I had two
incidents with them...once the tide was so low the boat had grounded
in the slip and I couldn't get from the dock to the deck till the tide
came in.

Well what did it hurt to wait? Or just use a gangplank. We've been
on the ground in the slip (not at our home marina, but at Hilton Head
in SC) and had to wait until high tide to leave because the boat
wasn't floating.

Then in Mobile, the storm surge from TS Isidore was about three feet
above normal high tide causing all sorts of line adjustment problems
and the docks to go under water for a few hours.

Did you look at my picture of our boat in the dock after Isabel?
http://photomail.photoworks.com/shar...s/KHX/At3xUbeV

The marina pictures were at LOW tide the next day (Friday).

[The first (1-4) pictures are of Bob on the roof of the porch roof
sweeping the leaves and branches off. Then are some (5-9) pictures
from the upstairs window of the house showing that there wasn't any
damage except leaves and some branches on the ground at our house
although we were without electricity for several days. We live up on
a hill about 1/4 mile above the Potomac.]

Low tide after Isabel off the Potomac River down near the Chesapeake
Bay
#10 - marina from the access road
#11 - haulout slip (under water)
#12 - covered slips
#13 - boardwalk beside covered slips
#14 - Spinnaker's restaurant
#15 and #16 - high tide mark in the yard of the first house on the
road next to the marina (the house is beside where #10 was taken)
#17 and #18 - Gas dock and A dock
#19 steps of marina office (which normally are next to the office)
#20-21 our boat from the docks
#22 - dinghy of next boat from beside our boat. I couldn't get on the
boat because it was too high over the dock.

The tidal surge went up to the top of the pilings - about 5 feet above
the dock, which is normally one or two feet above the water. We had
our boat tied with spring lines in the slip (as did the people that
didn't go to anchor or have their boats hauled) with the lines to the
pilings on the far side of the dock because we only have cleats on our
side.

I took the pictures from partway out the dock because Bob wanted to
know how the boat fared, and he didn't want to wade out there and I
didn't mind. It was difficult because the water was up to my knees
and I had to get over or under all the lines from our side of the dock
to the other side. When I got down there I sat on the steps next to
the boat to rest. That's where the last picture was taken of the
dinghy of our neighbor on top of the dock in the last picture.

In any case - my point is - if you know how to secure a boat to a
fixed dock (and IMHO you SHOULD know) it is perfectly possible to do
so without a problem even with a high tide. All those shrimp boats
in SC and GA and northern FL with 6 to 8 foot tides - most of them are
at fixed docks. We are at a fixed concrete dock here in Marathon with
about a 2 foot normal tide. (I think they have fixed docks here
mostly because of the hurricane season.)

So you should know how to have the boat safely in the slip even in an
extra high or extra low tide. I think that's something that a
sailor/boater should know. If you have a fixed dock and a tide that
isn't too great - that's a good opportunity to practice so that if you
go somewhere and they say - you can stay on the gas dock tonight (gas
docks are often fixed docks), and BTW we have 6.5 foot tides and it's
high tide now (and your boat is about even with the dock at that
point) you have some clue as to how to proceed.

It may be easier to have floating docks (although I always have to
have a step stool on the dock to get off our boat if there are
floating docks), but unless you never intend to go anywhere outside
your own marina (and if that is so - why even have a boat), then you
need to know stuff like how to tie the boat up in a variety of
situations - face dock, or slip with a 4 point tie, floating dock or
fixed dock, cleats or pilings.

grandma Rosalie

warping, tight slip, adverse wind Charles T. Low General 8 February 15th 04 11:29 PM
mooring anchors Parallax General 5 October 14th 03 05:05 PM
soft, spongy cored decks - repair method and costs? [email protected] Cruising 12 September 30th 03 06:01 PM
Boat slip (townhouse included) Charlie Judice General 0 August 4th 03 08:41 PM