Dave

Default Refrigerator Fan

"Rick & Linda Bernard" wrote in message ...
Anyone use a small fan in their fridge to help stabilize the temperatures.
I have seen a battery powered one. Any comment on their effectiveness.

I have a small fan that lasts a month (continuous duty) on one D-cell
battery. I bought it for $12 from an on-line store that caters to the
RV crowd. I can't recall the name of the store. This is so cheap and
easy that you could try it and, if you don't like the battery option,
at least you would know how it worked before going through the effort
to wire it. For us, the battery power was not an issue and the
results were well worth the cost.

Dave
Ken Heaton

Comments Below:

"Rick & Linda Bernard" wrote in message
Anyone use a small fan in their fridge to help stabilize the temperatures.
I have seen a battery powered one. Any comment on their effectiveness.

Practical Sailor did a review of a rather expensive (to me) fridge fan (Tube
Fan, US$135.00) in the January 15th, 2004 (Vol. 30, #2). It draws only 1.2
amps at 12 volts. Stainless steel fasteners, non corrosive construction.
They found it to be very effective, evening out internal temperatures and
increasing the efficiency of the system (in this case a thermoelectric
unit). http://www.offshoresystems.us/fan2.htm
--
Ken Heaton & Anne Tobin
Cape Breton Island, Canada

Argonauta

Seal any holes with a shot of urathane foam. You can buy it at any
hardware or home improver supply store.

Dick Locke wrote:
On 21 Feb 2004 06:28:15 -0800, (Richard
Kollmann) wrote:

"Rick & Linda Bernard" wrote in message ...

Anyone use a small fan in their fridge to help stabilize the temperatures.
I have seen a battery powered one. Any comment on their effectiveness.

Installation of a small fan to tumble the air around the inside of the
refrigerator box can greatly improve the efficiency of your
refrigerator, for details on fan and installation; see FAQ #30 on my
web site.
http://www.kollmann-marine.com

I have been thinking about doing that but have been putting it off due
to concerns about drilling a hole through the foam insulation to get
the wires in. Any words of wisdom on an easy way to do it?

kre

seal the hole with a little bit of white caulking which you probably
already have - forget the foam - it's messy and hard to control for a
small hole - like a 1/8" diameter which is all you'll need for 2 small
wires and some protective insulation tubing.

Kollmann) wrote:

"Rick & Linda Bernard" wrote in message ...

Anyone use a small fan in their fridge to help stabilize the temperatures.
I have seen a battery powered one. Any comment on their effectiveness.

Installation of a small fan to tumble the air around the inside of the
refrigerator box can greatly improve the efficiency of your
refrigerator, for details on fan and installation; see FAQ #30 on my
web site.
http://www.kollmann-marine.com

I have been thinking about doing that but have been putting it off due
to concerns about drilling a hole through the foam insulation to get
the wires in. Any words of wisdom on an easy way to do it?

kre

Jesus - $135.00 ?? Was this for the space station.

I bought a small 12 vdc fan (1.5" square) from a computer parts place
- ball bearings, rated at 50,000 hours life, uses 0.08 amps - for
$1.99. That's 1.92 AH for 24 hours.

For the $133 I didn't waste - we (couple) can go out to dinner in
mexico 19 times - that's something like 3 chicken enchiladas, rice,
beans, chips, and a beer for 33 pesos - $3.00 US each - plus $1 tip -
$7 total x 19 nights = $133

What's wrong with those idiots at "Practical" Sailor - 19 years ago
when I was a novice cruiser - they were idiots even then.

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 11:50:24 -0400, "Ken Heaton"
wrote:

Comments Below:

"Rick & Linda Bernard" wrote in message
Anyone use a small fan in their fridge to help stabilize the temperatures.
I have seen a battery powered one. Any comment on their effectiveness.

Practical Sailor did a review of a rather expensive (to me) fridge fan (Tube
Fan, US$135.00) in the January 15th, 2004 (Vol. 30, #2). It draws only 1.2
amps at 12 volts. Stainless steel fasteners, non corrosive construction.
They found it to be very effective, evening out internal temperatures and
increasing the efficiency of the system (in this case a thermoelectric
unit). http://www.offshoresystems.us/fan2.htm

Richard Kollmann

Kollmann) wrote:

"Rick & Linda Bernard" wrote in message ...
Anyone use a small fan in their fridge to help stabilize the temperatures.
I have seen a battery powered one. Any comment on their effectiveness.

Installation of a small fan to tumble the air around the inside of the
refrigerator box can greatly improve the efficiency of your
refrigerator, for details on fan and installation; see FAQ #30 on my
web site.
http://www.kollmann-marine.com

I have been thinking about doing that but have been putting it off due
to concerns about drilling a hole through the foam insulation to get
the wires in. Any words of wisdom on an easy way to do it?

The easiest way to run the small fan wires through the box wall is to
use the same hole that the refrigeration tubing runs through.
Use a blunt tool to open up a small hole adjacent to the existing
tubing, be careful not to scratch the tubing or vacuum panel
insulation if so equipped. Do not drill holes through box or
insulation if the box has vacuum panels insulation. If, it is not
possible to follow the existing tubing select an area inside and
outside the box, free of other tubing and electrical, that is
convenient with good access. Then using a 1/8 inch drill-bit, drill a
hole through the box's liner and insulation. Normally a standard drill
will not be long enough but it will start the access hole. If you do
not have a long drill-bit to complete the hole cut a straight section
of a wire coat hanger with wire cutters. The sharp end left by the
wire cutters will act as a cutting edge to complete the hole even if
there is a wood bulkhead to cut through. Once the 1/8 in. pilot hole
is open at both ends, a drill slightly larger than the wires can be
used to increase the hole size. Silicone sealant can be used to fill
and seal the hole after the wire is installed.
When refrigerator or iceboxes are to be constructed I always recommend
that the builder consider installing an access tube through the
insulation for future wires.
There are several reasons you might want or need a small fan in a
refrigerator to:
Tumble the air when there is insufficient natural air movement.
Achieve a forced air spillover dual temperature box with a separate
thermostat.
Lower the temperature of a shelf located above the evaporator cooling
coil or to move the warm air in a long shallow box to the evaporator.
Increase the overall efficiency of an incorrectly sized evaporator by
changing part of it from a static to a forced air heat exchange.

From the author of books on boat refrigeration
http://www.kollmann-marine.com