Richard Kollmann

Default Refrigerator Fan

Dick Locke wrote in message . ..
On 21 Feb 2004 06:28:15 -0800, (Richard
Kollmann) wrote:

"Rick & Linda Bernard" wrote in message ...
Anyone use a small fan in their fridge to help stabilize the temperatures.
I have seen a battery powered one. Any comment on their effectiveness.

Installation of a small fan to tumble the air around the inside of the
refrigerator box can greatly improve the efficiency of your
refrigerator, for details on fan and installation; see FAQ #30 on my
web site.
http://www.kollmann-marine.com

I have been thinking about doing that but have been putting it off due
to concerns about drilling a hole through the foam insulation to get
the wires in. Any words of wisdom on an easy way to do it?

The easiest way to run the small fan wires through the box wall is to
use the same hole that the refrigeration tubing runs through.
Use a blunt tool to open up a small hole adjacent to the existing
tubing, be careful not to scratch the tubing or vacuum panel
insulation if so equipped. Do not drill holes through box or
insulation if the box has vacuum panels insulation. If, it is not
possible to follow the existing tubing select an area inside and
outside the box, free of other tubing and electrical, that is
convenient with good access. Then using a 1/8 inch drill-bit, drill a
hole through the box's liner and insulation. Normally a standard drill
will not be long enough but it will start the access hole. If you do
not have a long drill-bit to complete the hole cut a straight section
of a wire coat hanger with wire cutters. The sharp end left by the
wire cutters will act as a cutting edge to complete the hole even if
there is a wood bulkhead to cut through. Once the 1/8 in. pilot hole
is open at both ends, a drill slightly larger than the wires can be
used to increase the hole size. Silicone sealant can be used to fill
and seal the hole after the wire is installed.
When refrigerator or iceboxes are to be constructed I always recommend
that the builder consider installing an access tube through the
insulation for future wires.
There are several reasons you might want or need a small fan in a
refrigerator to:
Tumble the air when there is insufficient natural air movement.
Achieve a forced air spillover dual temperature box with a separate
thermostat.
Lower the temperature of a shelf located above the evaporator cooling
coil or to move the warm air in a long shallow box to the evaporator.
Increase the overall efficiency of an incorrectly sized evaporator by
changing part of it from a static to a forced air heat exchange.

From the author of books on boat refrigeration
http://www.kollmann-marine.com
Dick Locke

On 23 Feb 2004 08:04:52 -0800, (Richard
Kollmann) wrote:

[...]

Thanks, that's very helpful.

I've also got a drain hole in the bottom that I think is the most
accesible place. The refrig lines are a bit hard to get to. Looking at
it, I also found that the drain line goes into the bilge. Arrgh. I
guess I'm looking at installing a foot pump to pump into the galley
sink or its drain.
When refrigerator or iceboxes are to be constructed I always recommend
that the builder consider installing an access tube through the
insulation for future wires.
There are several reasons you might want or need a small fan in a
refrigerator to:
Tumble the air when there is insufficient natural air movement.
Achieve a forced air spillover dual temperature box with a separate
thermostat.
Lower the temperature of a shelf located above the evaporator cooling
coil or to move the warm air in a long shallow box to the evaporator.
Increase the overall efficiency of an incorrectly sized evaporator by
changing part of it from a static to a forced air heat exchange.

From the author of books on boat refrigeration
http://www.kollmann-marine.com

Dick Locke

Kollmann) wrote:

[...]

From the author of books on boat refrigeration
http://www.kollmann-marine.com

Keith

My cold plate system uses a little 3" box fan to move cold air from the
freezer side to the fridge side. You can pick one up for about $3 at any
electronics place.

--

Keith
__
Subject: Refrigerator Fan
From: "Rick & Linda Bernard"

Anyone use a small fan in their fridge to help stabilize the

temperatures.

Yes.

I have seen a battery powered one. Any comment on their effectiveness.

They work. But I would use a 12v hard wired one.

Capt. Bill

Keith

You can use such tiny wire, that you should be able to just run it through
the seal of the door, if you don't mind the looks.

--

Keith
__
Kollmann) wrote:

"Rick & Linda Bernard" wrote in message

Anyone use a small fan in their fridge to help stabilize the

temperatures.
I have seen a battery powered one. Any comment on their effectiveness.

Installation of a small fan to tumble the air around the inside of the
refrigerator box can greatly improve the efficiency of your
refrigerator, for details on fan and installation; see FAQ #30 on my
web site.
http://www.kollmann-marine.com

I have been thinking about doing that but have been putting it off due
to concerns about drilling a hole through the foam insulation to get
the wires in. Any words of wisdom on an easy way to do it?

Jere Lull

In article ,
Dick Locke wrote:

I've also got a drain hole in the bottom that I think is the most
accesible place. The refrig lines are a bit hard to get to. Looking at
it, I also found that the drain line goes into the bilge. Arrgh. I
guess I'm looking at installing a foot pump to pump into the galley
sink or its drain.

I'd lose that drain fast. Lots of cold leaks out there.

--
Jere Lull