Default steel hulls?

Anyone owned a steel hulled sailboat in the 40 foot range and have
some advice on what to look for when buying one? Thanks as always.

ray lunder wrote:
Anyone owned a steel hulled sailboat in the 40 foot range and have
some advice on what to look for when buying one? Thanks as always.

Ray,

Are you looking new or used??

Howard

"ray lunder" wrote in message
Anyone owned a steel hulled sailboat in the 40 foot range and have
some advice on what to look for when buying one? Thanks as always.

The word I'd be worried about :: Rust...

There is a metal [ not sure if it is steel ] sail, yacht, near me in the
boatyard.

There are holes large enough to put your hand through on the bottom of the
hull.

On Mar 6, 4:11*pm, wrote:
On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 00:01:18 -0800, ray lunder
wrote:

Anyone owned a steel hulled sailboat in the 40 foot range and have
some advice on what to look for when buying one? Thanks as always.

Make sure the steering quadrant can't fail and sink the boat by poking
holes in the hull.

For that size and weight of boat; lots of money! Health and fitness
and a certain amount of strength. Also probably some crew, unless it
is fitted with fairly elaborate gear.
Good luck.

ray lunder wrote:
Anyone owned a steel hulled sailboat in the 40 foot range and have
some advice on what to look for when buying one? Thanks as always.

I've seen some power boats less than 50' which are steel, but not, IIRC,
sailboats. Anyway, I helped in a survey of a steel hulled boat mostly to
learn what there is to learn about them. The surveyor had a great deal
of experience with these. Mostly I learned that if I ever bought one,
I'd insist that the survey be done by a surveyor with specific steel
hull experience.

-paul

On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 00:01:18 -0800, ray lunder wrote:

Anyone owned a steel hulled sailboat in the 40 foot range and have some
advice on what to look for when buying one? Thanks as always.

My wife and I own a 40' steel hulled sailboat, homebuilt in 1985, that we
bought in 2007. It is the only kind of sailboat we even considered once
we decided to buy. All materials have some problems, be it wood,
fiberglass, steel or cement. The obvious problem with steel is rust. The
obvious advantage is strenght. Do have any boat you are considering
purchase surveyed unless you are very knowledgeable about all aspects of
sailboats. We intend to live on the boat most of our retired life (now)
and wanted a boat we could be confident would not sink if we should
accidently hit a rock or coral reef. Rust is not easy to detect as it
will start on the inside of the boat and work it's way out. You have to
diligently inspect the areas of the boat that are difficult to see, both
before purchase and periodically as long as you own it. THERE SHOULD BE
MANY AREAS IN THE BOAT WHERE YOU CAN GAIN ACCESS TO THE HULL FOR A VISUAL
INSPECTION. My wife has owned 3 previous sailboats, 1 wood and 2
fiberglass and would never own anything but steel now. Feel free to
contact us at our e=mail address if you would like to discuss any other
points or to just start up an ongoing dialogue of mutual experiences
sailing. Ken and Diana

Ray,
First I have a real problem with anyone responding to queries when they have
no experience or specific knowledge of the subject and yet it happens all
the time in these use groups. Out of all the responders to your query only
Ken Marino should have responded.

For the benefit of all, steel boats offer the most for the least. The very
best yachts are made from steel. There are many good reasons why that is so.
However, they do have a poor reputation with the uninformed for a few
reasons. The first is that steel boats are virtual stones and cannot get out
of their own way and that can be true IF the boat was built from a design
not specific for steel. The second is that rust is a killer and the risk
cannot be economically mitigated. This is patently untrue. It is a risk, but
very easily prevented and most importantly, very inexpensive to deal with if
it should occur. The last is ugly, yes, they can be, but they don't have to
be. Did you ever see an ugly Super yacht?

Steel boats go away from the inside. Condensation is the killer. Stop
condensation and they will last forever. I had a freind that built a 28'
steel sloop and lived on it as a university student. He had no money and
couldn't afford paint. When he graduated he sold the badly rusted boat, but
the bottom of the boat was still shiney steel. No bottom rust in 4 years in
salt water. The inside of the hull must be sprayed with insulation material.
There are a few materials that work, but not many. The first is polyurethane
foam, another is special cork based materials. All others are suspect and
due dilligence and scrutany is required. Another problem area is teak decks.
I could write a book on that subject alone. The last area to be mindful of
is dissimilar materials, potential electrolysis and the electrical wiring
system. The hull must never be electrically connected to the wiring system
in any capacity, even earth. If any of these situations are discovered
during an initial inspection, a very serious survey should be undertaken.
Hulls that have not violated these very basic rules will outlive you.
Steve

"ray lunder" wrote in message
Anyone owned a steel hulled sailboat in the 40 foot range and have
some advice on what to look for when buying one? Thanks as always.

Why buy one? Just get a good side scan sonar and do a search of the Gulf of
Mexico from zero to 20 miles downwind from where "Red Cloud" was prematurely
abandoned and left to her own devices and was, consequently, lost because of
a frightened, unskilled and unseamanlike captain and crew. If you can't
afford side scan sonar then look for the coffee colored water.
Bwahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahhah!

Greg Hall

Steve Lusardi wrote:
Ray,
First I have a real problem with anyone responding to queries when they have
no experience or specific knowledge of the subject and yet it happens all
the time in these use groups.

Ignore this fool's post. He clearly has no idea what he's talking about.

"Paul Cassel" skrev i en meddelelse
. ..
Steve Lusardi wrote:
Ray,
First I have a real problem with anyone responding to queries when they
have no experience or specific knowledge of the subject and yet it
happens all the time in these use groups.

Ignore this fool's post. He clearly has no idea what he's talking about.

Such arrogance- had it occured to you that he might actually know what he`s
talking about?
Clue.... what he says is correct, so what does that make you?
Bob Larder