JAXAshby

Default Inboard vs Outboard

Many boaters need their motor for the last bit of their sail to re-enter a
marina, etc. Some things are tricky to do with sails alone, especially if
its blowing and you are short handed.

turn around and go back offshore. If you are having engine problems (unlikely
for most modern outboard engines, but rather more likely with a crudded up
diesel fuel tank) and you manage to get the engine running is STILL far more
likely to have continuing engine problems.

If you are entering a marina in a blow and you are worried about your engine
you used bad judgement. If you used bad judgement, an outboard is more
reliable than your inboard with a precise fuel system with known junk in the
fuel tank.

Lloyd Sumpter

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 10:50:22 +0000, Dave wrote:

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 17:53:23 -0800, "Lloyd Sumpter" said:

- Is raw-water cooled, so even if you flush it after each use, it's not good
for more than 5 years or so in salt water.

Nonsense.

(I replied to this before, but I don't think it got through. Apologies if this
is a duplicate)

That's kind of my experience as well (That they last longer than 5 years), but
the Experts in rec.boats say you need to replace exhaust manifold and riser
every 2-3 years for an raw-water I/O running in salt (even if you flush!). If
this is true, I can't see outboards lasting much longer.

Bottom line in any case: FWC is at least Highly Recommended for salt-water, and
is not available in outboards.

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36

Don White

Dave wrote in message

Trust experience over great thoughts any time, and especially over the
opinions of self-styled experts. I've had several outboards over the

years,
all in salt water service. All lasted well over 10 years, and in fact I

had
two trusty Seagulls that were running strong when I parted with them with
over 20 years of salt water service.

Gotta love those Seagulls.
Mine is 50 years old this year and if it wasn't so stinky and noisy, I'd be
using it on my CL 14 daysailer.