Matt Colie

Default Inboard vs Outboard

Norm,
Let me start by saying that my current boat is a 4600# 26ft Lod center
board sloop. It has a 10Hp long shaft electric start on a movable mount.

I know nothing about your home water.

I never thought I would have and outboard for an auxiliary, but I do now.

The only time it gets bad is when you have to power in an inlet that has
rollers coming out. Other than that I'm usually sailing because I can't
power the much over 6.0 but if it is blowing at all I can make 6.4-5.

Bad things:
The engine is where you don't want weight.
The prop is too close to the surface and all that stuff.
It can be stolen, but a McGard bolt will make that really tough.

Good things:
New outboards are stone reliable (at least as good as an A4 - ever)
(and they can most all be started when your battery is down)
If (when)it needs attention you don't have to try to fit in the little
hole it is crammed into. You can even take it ashore and either fix it
yourself or tell someone "here - fix it, make it all better and give it
back" You even can barrow an engine if needed.
The shaft packing never drips.

Matt Colie A.Sloop "Bonne Ide'e" S2-7.9 #1
Lifelong Waterman, Licensed Mariner and Pathological Sailor

engsol wrote:

If this has been beat to death before, my apology.

I'm looking for a boat to enjoy upon retirement this May. Being poor,
I'll have to settle for an older boat, 30-32 feet. I've seen a number of boats
in my price range on my list, but have rejected the ones with an OB. But
then I got to wondering...should I do so?

The advantage of an OB is cost, doesn't take up interior room, at least
semi-reliable these days. But then I wonder about enough power in a
seaway. The area I plan to sail (San Juan Islands) is quite sheltered....
wind chop, but seldom any significant swells. A safe haven is rarely more
than 4 - 5 hours away.

So what am I missing, or haven't thought of, as regards to OB power?

Thanks,
Norm

rhys

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 20:44:42 GMT, "bowgus" wrote:

Well ... I'm definitely no expert but just had to join in :-). I'd go
outboard in this situation with logic as follows ... safe haven close by,
you can pick up a used outboard for next to nothing and if it was me, that's
what I would do and consider it a throwaway if something goes really wrong.
And if a repair is required, just drop it off and go sailing ... maybe even
beg a loaner off the shop. All they're used for around here is to get out of
the boat basin ... and that doesn't take much hp given a sailboats hull
design and efficiency once it gets moving. Geez ... those things move
forward with a gentle breeze applied to the hull :-)

Well, of course you are right, and until post WWII a lot of smaller
(under 50') boats had no auxiliaries at all, as they were considered
dangerous (paraffin, gas) or balky and too heavy (diesel).

You only need a motor on a sailboat for passagemaking, getting in and
out of confined spots like some wind-locked basins, and to charge
batteries. If you needed to "power" into a basin in heavy weather, for
instance, you might use close to 100% of your available thrust, but
our grandparents used to run or claw offshore or drop anchor. These
days, many of us have to "be somewhere", and the engine helps that
happen.

Maybe the problem is not in our boats, but in ourselves....

R.

Ken Heaton

Comments interspersed throughout:
"rhys" wrote in message
news
OK, I've got an old 33 footer powered by an Atomic 4...currently in
rebuild mode. Trust me...I've thought of this.

I'm looking for a boat to enjoy upon retirement this May. Being poor,
I'll have to settle for an older boat, 30-32 feet. I've seen a number of

boats
in my price range on my list, but have rejected the ones with an OB. But
then I got to wondering...should I do so?

snipped some good bits that were here

Advantages: ease of access,

Debateable actually, if you're out sailing and the weather is deteriorating,
say it's starting to rain and blow and you are having engine troubles, try
working on that 100 lb outboard while its hanging over the stern in the wind
and the rain. See what I mean? Not too hard to loose some small part or
tool overboard. With an inboard you're down below, probably uncomfortable
and dropping things, but they are still in the boat and you aren't opening
the engine to rain and spray.

more god bits snipped

Disadvantages: Easy to steal, easy to swamp in a seaway,

I've been out in a 35 footer (40% ballast ratio) in a lake on days when
occasionally water came over the stern from pitching while motoring into a
strong wind. I have a feeling that would be the end of the OB, especially
with the increased hobbyhorsing you'd get with all that extra weight so far
aft alternately lifting the prop out of the water and then driving it back
in.

more good bits snipped here

"rhys" wrote in message
On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 22:20:52 -0800, engsol
wrote:

Thanks....you've given me a number of considerations that hadn't occured
to me....fuel storage...theft...etc.
On the other hand, some things aren't a factor, such as a windvane.
Thanks again.
Norm

My pleasure. I can't answer my own question as to why boats over 27'
rarely, if ever, feature an outboard, but as I've lost significant
sailing time in the last few years due to mishaps with my inboard
engine, it certainly has occurred to me. In my case, with a pinched
reverse transom IOR-style stern, an outboard and its pivoting mount
would adversely affect its looks, and I like the boat's looks...

Oh, here's another downside: a lot of weight in the stern can affect
the balance of the boat and lead to unnecessary or undesirable
"hobbyhorsing" in certain sea conditions. To a degree, this is offset
by a high ballast ratio which on some older racer-cruisers is 40-50%,
but other models would "feel" 100-120 lbs. off the stern more than
others, just as they would "feel" 200 feet of chain and a 66 lb. Bruce
anchor at the bow.

That's why you'd want to strike a balance between OB power and getting
it off the stern: the trim settings of an OB can mitigate somewhat its
weight, but when it's off and stowed out of the water, it's like
having a woman hanging off the stern rail.

Which may appeal...I dunno...G

R.

Dave Richardson

I had a 7.5 HP and a 3.5 HP outboard(s) on my old 24ft sloop in Puget
Sound and I never had a problem. If it needed work I'd just pull it
off and take it to the shop. Sometimes I would motor for hour's. I
liked it. I got good at docking and having one hand on the engine
throttle and the other on the tiller. After I had motored out of the
marina I would turn off the engine and while laying on my stomach off
the transom and pull the motor bracket to the up position so that the
long shaft lower unit was out of the water for less drag.

But this could be a difficult reach on a 30' boat with more freeboard
as a bigger boat may be higher off the water. Depend's on the boat.

engsol wrote in message . ..
If this has been beat to death before, my apology.

I'm looking for a boat to enjoy upon retirement this May. Being poor,
I'll have to settle for an older boat, 30-32 feet. I've seen a number of boats
in my price range on my list, but have rejected the ones with an OB. But
then I got to wondering...should I do so?

The advantage of an OB is cost, doesn't take up interior room, at least
semi-reliable these days. But then I wonder about enough power in a
seaway. The area I plan to sail (San Juan Islands) is quite sheltered....
wind chop, but seldom any significant swells. A safe haven is rarely more
than 4 - 5 hours away.

So what am I missing, or haven't thought of, as regards to OB power?

Thanks,
Norm

Charles T. Low

OB prop more likely to leave water if pitching in large waves.

====

Charles T. Low
- remove "UN"
www.boatdocking.com/BDPhoto.html - Photo Contest