Charles T. Low

Default Inboard vs Outboard

OB prop more likely to leave water if pitching in large waves.

====

Charles T. Low
- remove "UN"
www.boatdocking.com/BDPhoto.html - Photo Contest
www.boatdocking.com
www.ctlow.ca/Trojan26 - my boat

====

"engsol" wrote in message
Thanks....you've given me a number of considerations that hadn't occured
to me....fuel storage...theft...etc.
On the other hand, some things aren't a factor, such as a windvane.
Thanks again.
Norm

Gould 0738

An OB will give you a little weight, up atop the transom.

An IB would provide a greater mass, and place it well down in the hull.

It would seem to me that the lower COG would be a benefit, but I guess that
would depend whether the actual mounting is below the current effective COG.

I'd think most NA's would consider the weight and mass of an inboard when
designing a boat, so in some cases it might be foolish to actually remove an
existing inboard when making a swtich to OB power.

Diesel is an option with an inboard, not really so with an outboard. Just the
diesel vs. gas equation should make the inboard more reliable than the
outboard.

rhys

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 22:33:33 -0400, "Ken Heaton"
wrote:

Advantages: ease of access,

Debateable actually, if you're out sailing and the weather is deteriorating,
say it's starting to rain and blow and you are having engine troubles, try
working on that 100 lb outboard while its hanging over the stern in the wind
and the rain. See what I mean? Not too hard to loose some small part or
tool overboard. With an inboard you're down below, probably uncomfortable
and dropping things, but they are still in the boat and you aren't opening
the engine to rain and spray.

I agree...I was referring more to the access while at dock...you can
lash a pram under the transom and with a bucket and small tool kit, do
90% of your maintenance in the nice fresh air and sunshine, instead of
in a dimly lit cave.

more god bits snipped

Man, and I thought crucifixion was nasty...god bits, indeed!

R.

Michael

I use a Yamaha T9.9 four stroke on my 26' sloop. On the second boat 31' LOD
I use an inboard diesel. Both out of PortTownsend. For the San Juans you
definitely need an engine but both will work. Inboard takes up inside space
diesel is safer. Outboard gives you more internal room but gas is more
dangerous. Diesels last at least 10 times as long as outboards in terms of
engine hours. If you go inboard use diesel not gas. If you go outboard use
four stroke with a reduction gear and a long shaft not a two stroke. Both
work fine.

M.

PS You want a ready to go boat or one that needs a bit of work?

"engsol" wrote in message
If this has been beat to death before, my apology.

I'm looking for a boat to enjoy upon retirement this May. Being poor,
I'll have to settle for an older boat, 30-32 feet. I've seen a number of

boats
in my price range on my list, but have rejected the ones with an OB. But
then I got to wondering...should I do so?

The advantage of an OB is cost, doesn't take up interior room, at least
semi-reliable these days. But then I wonder about enough power in a
seaway. The area I plan to sail (San Juan Islands) is quite sheltered....
wind chop, but seldom any significant swells. A safe haven is rarely more
than 4 - 5 hours away.

So what am I missing, or haven't thought of, as regards to OB power?

Thanks,
Norm

engsol

M,
Thanks for the advice. It's right in line with other good responses to my query.
A light-weight OB might be OK as a backup, but I have to admit I like the
safety of diesel.

As to the boat condition, I'm willing to trade my sweat for a lower price. As odd as it may sound,
(I can hear the old-timers groaning), I'm looking forward to working on my boat and learning how
to repair and maintain her.

Have any leads or pointers?
Norm

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 19:34:41 -0800, "Michael" wrote:

I use a Yamaha T9.9 four stroke on my 26' sloop. On the second boat 31' LOD
I use an inboard diesel. Both out of PortTownsend. For the San Juans you
definitely need an engine but both will work. Inboard takes up inside space
diesel is safer. Outboard gives you more internal room but gas is more
dangerous. Diesels last at least 10 times as long as outboards in terms of
engine hours. If you go inboard use diesel not gas. If you go outboard use
four stroke with a reduction gear and a long shaft not a two stroke. Both
work fine.

M.

PS You want a ready to go boat or one that needs a bit of work?

"engsol" wrote in message
.. .
If this has been beat to death before, my apology.

I'm looking for a boat to enjoy upon retirement this May. Being poor,
I'll have to settle for an older boat, 30-32 feet. I've seen a number of

boats
in my price range on my list, but have rejected the ones with an OB. But
then I got to wondering...should I do so?

The advantage of an OB is cost, doesn't take up interior room, at least
semi-reliable these days. But then I wonder about enough power in a
seaway. The area I plan to sail (San Juan Islands) is quite sheltered....
wind chop, but seldom any significant swells. A safe haven is rarely more
than 4 - 5 hours away.

So what am I missing, or haven't thought of, as regards to OB power?

Thanks,
Norm

Dave Richardson

Norm, I know of a boat that you may like at Everett Marina. An older
man own's it and is unable to take it out anymore. He show's up every
summer on weekends to hang-out on it. Told me once he'd probably
almost give it to the right person. Email me for directions. (it has
an inboard)