Ed McDermott

Default Canadian buying an American Boat

I'm a Canadian planning to buy an American boat, but I'm NOT planning to
bring it back into Canada.

Where can I register it?

Ed

Gould 0738

It is typical for a state to require you to register a vessel that remains in
state waters beyond a statuatory period of time.
90-days is a common time frame.

You can probably show your Canadian address on the registration. The tax man's
issue is "where's the boat?" not "where's the owner?"

Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes

Ed McDermott wrote:

I'm a Canadian planning to buy an American boat, but I'm NOT planning to
bring it back into Canada.

Where can I register it?

Why register it? Why not just document it in Canada? Do you have to
take it to Canada to do that?

If you are going to take it down to the Caribbean or something,
wouldn't documentation be better than registration anyway?

grandma Rosalie

Gould 0738

Why register it? Why not just document it in Canada? Do you have to
take it to Canada to do that?

If you are going to take it down to the Caribbean or something,
wouldn't documentation be better than registration anyway?

grandma Rosalie

Can't speak for all 50 states, but a good many (such as the one where I live)
require
state registration of a documented vessel.

The state is prohibited by law from issuing a "title" to a documented boat. The
state is not prohibited from requiring owners of documented boats to submit to
registration and paying an annual tax. As a result, most states do.

If documentation were a workable scheme around the stae tax collector, I bet
we'd have every single vessel that met the minimum tonnage, etc, documented.
:-)

Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 19:32:09 -0500, Ed McDermott
wrote:

I'm a Canadian planning to buy an American boat, but I'm NOT planning to
bring it back into Canada.

Where can I register it?

If you plan to keep it in the US, you can register it in a state, but
not document it in the US. You could do that anyway, but having it
documented might matter in some other countries.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

"That idiot Leibniz, who wants to teach me about the infinitesimally small! Has he therefore forgotten that I am the wife of Frederick I? How can he imagine that I am unacquainted with my own husband?"

Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 12:49:39 GMT, Rosalie B.
wrote:

x-no-archive:yes

Ed McDermott wrote:

I'm a Canadian planning to buy an American boat, but I'm NOT planning to
bring it back into Canada.

Where can I register it?

Why register it? Why not just document it in Canada? Do you have to
take it to Canada to do that?

Sales Tax. Lots of Canadians keep boats in Lake Champlain and never
cross the border.

If you are going to take it down to the Caribbean or something,
wouldn't documentation be better than registration anyway?

grandma Rosalie

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

"That idiot Leibniz, who wants to teach me about the infinitesimally small! Has he therefore forgotten that I am the wife of Frederick I? How can he imagine that I am unacquainted with my own husband?"

A Commodores Meanderings RGrew176 General 1 July 22nd 04 10:47 AM
Boat fell off trailer bb General 31 January 27th 04 09:22 PM
Looking for information when buying a boat D.Newton General 0 January 2nd 04 06:10 PM