Peter Bennett

Default Canadian buying an American Boat

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 03:44:16 GMT, Rosalie B.
wrote:

x-no-archive:yes

Ante Topic Mimara ] wrote:

Rosalie B. wrote:

Ed McDermott wrote:

I'm a Canadian planning to buy an American boat, but I'm
NOT planning to bring it back into Canada.

Where can I register it?

Why register it? Why not just document it in Canada?
Do you have to take it to Canada to do that?

If you are going to take it down to the Caribbean or something,
wouldn't documentation be better than registration anyway?

What means this "Documentation" as opposed to "Registration" ?

Can somebody please explain what these things are?

There are essentially two ways vessel ownership in the U.S. is done,
and I think it is similar in Canada:

Through State Registration including a title. State laws obviously
vary from state to state, but usually the state issues a number to a
boat which is displayed on the bow.

There is a small source of confusion here...

In Canada, "registration" is the more formal process, required of
larger vessels (over 20 register tons for pleasure boats, I think),
and is similar to the US "documentation".

The Canadian process that is vaguely similar to US state registration
is called "licensing" (but it is still a federal matter).

In Canada, we don't have any provincial paperwork or taxes regarding
boats (except sales tax on the initial purchase).

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb (at) interchange.ubc.ca
Rodney Myrvaagnes

On 13 Feb 2004 00:25:34 -0000, Ante Topic Mimara
] wrote:

Rosalie B. wrote:

Ed McDermott wrote:

I'm a Canadian planning to buy an American boat, but I'm
NOT planning to bring it back into Canada.

Where can I register it?

Why register it? Why not just document it in Canada?
Do you have to take it to Canada to do that?

If you are going to take it down to the Caribbean or something,
wouldn't documentation be better than registration anyway?

What means this "Documentation" as opposed to "Registration" ?

Can somebody please explain what these things are?

The other replies covered most of it. US Documented vessels have some
restrictions on them. They cannot be owned by or chartered to
noncitizens.

Ergo, a Canadian could not document a vessel in the US, and Canada may
require the import taxes to document it there, even if it won't ever
go there. I don't know how they would treat that.

If that is a problem, state registration somewhere in the US is
probably the easiest solution.
-
Topic-Mimara
Unique in the World!
---

-=-
This message was posted via two or more anonymous remailing services.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

"That idiot Leibniz, who wants to teach me about the infinitesimally small! Has he therefore forgotten that I am the wife of Frederick I? How can he imagine that I am unacquainted with my own husband?"

Jean Dufour

Peter Bennett wrote:

In Canada, "registration" is the more formal process, required of
larger vessels (over 20 register tons for pleasure boats, I think),
and is similar to the US "documentation".

FYI, it is 15 register tons now.

Jean
Montreal, Qc

Rick Itenson

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 19:32:09 -0500, Ed McDermott
wrote:

I'm a Canadian planning to buy an American boat, but I'm NOT planning to
bring it back into Canada.

Where can I register it?

Ed

The simple answer is that you can register (what our American friends
call "document") the vessel in Canada. Go to
http://www.tc.gc.ca/MarineSafety/TP/Tp13414/menu.htm
for the instructions. The vessel does not have to be in Canada or
ever come to Canada to be registered. If it's under 40 ft. (12
metres) you don't even need a tonnage survey. You cannot license (u.s.
equivalent state registration, in Canada federal jurisdiction only)
the vessel unless the vessel is in Canada with all the various taxes
and duty paid.

Rick

Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes

Peter Bennett wrote:

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 03:44:16 GMT, Rosalie B.
wrote:

snip
What means this "Documentation" as opposed to "Registration" ?

Can somebody please explain what these things are?

There are essentially two ways vessel ownership in the U.S. is done,
and I think it is similar in Canada:

Through State Registration including a title. State laws obviously
vary from state to state, but usually the state issues a number to a
boat which is displayed on the bow.

There is a small source of confusion here...

In Canada, "registration" is the more formal process, required of
larger vessels (over 20 register tons for pleasure boats, I think),
and is similar to the US "documentation".

The Canadian process that is vaguely similar to US state registration
is called "licensing" (but it is still a federal matter).

In Canada, we don't have any provincial paperwork or taxes regarding
boats (except sales tax on the initial purchase).

That's good to know. I didn't realize that.

Incidentally, I'm hiding this at the bottom of this thread, but in
the 8 hours last night I got 75 spam emails and that was a light
night. so for the first time in a long time, I've munged my reply to
address, so if you want to email me directly, you'll have to get my
actual address from a post sometime in 2003 or prior, and then wait
for me to OK the address.

You don't need to put in a request for me to do it - I go to the ISP
web site at least 3 times a day to check for real emails. But DO put
some subject in the subject line that will give me a clue that you are
a real person.

grandma Rosalie

WRC

What are the Canadian tax implications for a Canadian purchasing:
(a) a Canadian registered vessel
(b) a non-Canadian registered vessel

Assume that the vessel will reside in Canadian waters and the vessel
owner is a Canadian resident (for tax purposes).

I'd appreciate the benefit of the experience of others who have had to
face the RevCan (CCRA) challenges. Is there a web address that might
summarize the various scenarios?

Thanks in advance,
WRC

A Commodores Meanderings RGrew176 General 1 July 22nd 04 10:47 AM
Boat fell off trailer bb General 31 January 27th 04 09:22 PM
Looking for information when buying a boat D.Newton General 0 January 2nd 04 06:10 PM