Gould 0738

Default Canadian buying an American Boat

Why register it? Why not just document it in Canada? Do you have to
take it to Canada to do that?

If you are going to take it down to the Caribbean or something,
wouldn't documentation be better than registration anyway?

grandma Rosalie

Can't speak for all 50 states, but a good many (such as the one where I live)
require
state registration of a documented vessel.

The state is prohibited by law from issuing a "title" to a documented boat. The
state is not prohibited from requiring owners of documented boats to submit to
registration and paying an annual tax. As a result, most states do.

If documentation were a workable scheme around the stae tax collector, I bet
we'd have every single vessel that met the minimum tonnage, etc, documented.
:-)