Rodney Myrvaagnes

Default Canadian buying an American Boat

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 12:49:39 GMT, Rosalie B.
wrote:

x-no-archive:yes

Ed McDermott wrote:

I'm a Canadian planning to buy an American boat, but I'm NOT planning to
bring it back into Canada.

Where can I register it?

Why register it? Why not just document it in Canada? Do you have to
take it to Canada to do that?

Sales Tax. Lots of Canadians keep boats in Lake Champlain and never
cross the border.

If you are going to take it down to the Caribbean or something,
wouldn't documentation be better than registration anyway?

grandma Rosalie

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

"That idiot Leibniz, who wants to teach me about the infinitesimally small! Has he therefore forgotten that I am the wife of Frederick I? How can he imagine that I am unacquainted with my own husband?"
Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes

(Gould 0738) wrote:

Why register it? Why not just document it in Canada? Do you have to
take it to Canada to do that?

If you are going to take it down to the Caribbean or something,
wouldn't documentation be better than registration anyway?

Can't speak for all 50 states, but a good many (such as the one where I live)
require state registration of a documented vessel.

That has nothing to do with the original question which was partly
from another thread from Ed McDermot which said

Now Here's the funny one. If you don't bring the boat into Canada you
don't have to pay GST or PST but you can't register your boat in Canada.
Since I'm not planning to bring my boat back, I don't know how I'm going
to register it.

I'm a Canadian but I may not be able to fly a Canadian Flag on my boat.

So I was answering how he could fly a Canadian flag on his boat
without registering it in Canada. I don't know whether a Canadian
documented boat has to be registered in any state in the US. That's
another question which is too complicated for me.

The state is prohibited by law from issuing a "title" to a documented boat. The
state is not prohibited from requiring owners of documented boats to submit to
registration and paying an annual tax. As a result, most states do.

Again - tax is not the issue. We are talking about a Canadian who
buys an American boat whether he takes it back to Canada or not. I
would think that a Canadian could document a boat in Canada and fly
the Canadian flag - it wouldn't have to be registered in Canada if the
laws in Canada are anything like the US. SOME states in the US do NOT
allow registration of documented boats (Texas for one).

If documentation were a workable scheme around the stae tax collector, I bet
we'd have every single vessel that met the minimum tonnage, etc, documented.
:-)

grandma Rosalie

Ante Topic Mimara

Rosalie B. wrote:

Ed McDermott wrote:

I'm a Canadian planning to buy an American boat, but I'm
NOT planning to bring it back into Canada.

Where can I register it?

Why register it? Why not just document it in Canada?
Do you have to take it to Canada to do that?

If you are going to take it down to the Caribbean or something,
wouldn't documentation be better than registration anyway?

What means this "Documentation" as opposed to "Registration" ?

Can somebody please explain what these things are?

---
-
Topic-Mimara
Unique in the World!
---

-=-
This message was posted via two or more anonymous remailing services.

Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes

Ante Topic Mimara ] wrote:

Rosalie B. wrote:

Ed McDermott wrote:

I'm a Canadian planning to buy an American boat, but I'm
NOT planning to bring it back into Canada.

Where can I register it?

Why register it? Why not just document it in Canada?
Do you have to take it to Canada to do that?

If you are going to take it down to the Caribbean or something,
wouldn't documentation be better than registration anyway?

What means this "Documentation" as opposed to "Registration" ?

Can somebody please explain what these things are?

There are essentially two ways vessel ownership in the U.S. is done,
and I think it is similar in Canada:

Through State Registration including a title. State laws obviously
vary from state to state, but usually the state issues a number to a
boat which is displayed on the bow.

Through the Federal Documentation System - Documentation is the
federal registration of vessels (average of 27’ and over) with the
U.S. Coast Guard. Each vessel is assigned a number, which is
permanently displayed on an interior part of the hull. A certificate
is issued which identifies the owner. If a boat is documented it
doesn't usually have to display the registration numbers on the bow.
Documentation is recognized in international waters and can help ease
port clearances as the boat becomes a US entity. If you plan on doing
foreign cruising, including the Bahamas and the Caribbean, it is
recommended that you document the vessel. Since the CG documentation
system also records liens on the boat, the bank where you get your
loan usually requires that the boat be documented. I think there is
also a provision that in time of war, the CG or Navy can commandeer
the boat for use.

grandma Rosalie

Gould 0738

What means this "Documentation" as opposed to "Registration" ?

Can somebody please explain what these things are?

A document is similar to a certificate of title, (in a very broad sense), but
it is issued by the US Govt. rather than by a state government. It identifies
the vessel and is considered proof of ownership.

Registration is required by most states. It's a fee that is charged to boat
owners for keeping a vessel within the state, regardless of the state or
country where the title or document was issued. (Most states will allow several
months usage without registration to avoid discouraging cruisers and folks
wanting to patronize a repair yard). Registration is usually collected on an
annual basis. It can run from $10 to several thousand, depending on the vessel
and the state.

Most states require boats that have a state title to display a state ID number,
usually well forward on the hull. States cannot require a documented boat to
display ID numbers, but they can require the boat owner to affix a registration
sticker to the hull.

Peter Bennett

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 03:44:16 GMT, Rosalie B.
wrote:

x-no-archive:yes

Ante Topic Mimara ] wrote:

Rosalie B. wrote:

Ed McDermott wrote:

I'm a Canadian planning to buy an American boat, but I'm
NOT planning to bring it back into Canada.

Where can I register it?

Why register it? Why not just document it in Canada?
Do you have to take it to Canada to do that?

If you are going to take it down to the Caribbean or something,
wouldn't documentation be better than registration anyway?

What means this "Documentation" as opposed to "Registration" ?

Can somebody please explain what these things are?

There are essentially two ways vessel ownership in the U.S. is done,
and I think it is similar in Canada:

Through State Registration including a title. State laws obviously
vary from state to state, but usually the state issues a number to a
boat which is displayed on the bow.

There is a small source of confusion here...

In Canada, "registration" is the more formal process, required of
larger vessels (over 20 register tons for pleasure boats, I think),
and is similar to the US "documentation".

The Canadian process that is vaguely similar to US state registration
is called "licensing" (but it is still a federal matter).

In Canada, we don't have any provincial paperwork or taxes regarding
boats (except sales tax on the initial purchase).

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb (at) interchange.ubc.ca

A Commodores Meanderings RGrew176 General 1 July 22nd 04 10:47 AM
Boat fell off trailer bb General 31 January 27th 04 09:22 PM
Looking for information when buying a boat D.Newton General 0 January 2nd 04 06:10 PM