Default New Software Could Warn Sailors of Rogue Waves

http://science.slashdot.org/science/.../2150220.shtml

Bob Bob is offline

On Nov 24, 5:12 pm, wrote:
http://science.slashdot.org/science/.../2150220.shtml

Hello Everyone:

There is no such thing as a sneaker or rogue wave or what every ya
call them. Willburr, will you please explain fundamental ocean
precess to these readers?

Bob
You You is offline

In article
,
Bob wrote:

On Nov 24, 5:12 pm, wrote:
http://science.slashdot.org/science/.../2150220.shtml

Hello Everyone:

There is no such thing as a sneaker or rogue wave or what every ya
call them. Willburr, will you please explain fundamental ocean
precess to these readers?

Bob

Obviously, you have never navigated the Bering Sea in winter........
Bob Bob is offline

On Nov 25, 10:09 am, You wrote:
In article
,

Bob wrote:
On Nov 24, 5:12 pm, wrote:

Obviously, you have never navigated the Bering Sea in winter........

Hello You.................

You are right. Never have "navigated" (plot course) and have not
sailed my Freya up there, but I did stand watch and a bunch of other
stuff. The first time was I set foot on the Bering was December 27,
1983. I spent a week at the Unisea (Dutch) waiting for the weather to
break so the Padilla could get out. Got to do my first at sea transfer
to get on my boat. How to scramble up the side of a boat in 20' seas?
Humm, lets see... hands on the ropes not on the rungs... grab the ladder
and don't stop... If I fall--I am dead. Check....

Try spending Christmas in the Dutch Unisea Inn Lots happened that
season. Probably the worst was when a 300' Japanese F/T T-boned
midships another Jap F/T. It sank in less than 5 minuets (80+/-
crew). So I sat on the bridge listening to the different boats pulling
bodies out of the water on 2182. Granted I only spent 82 days that
winter on a relatively safe 150' longliner. The following summer was a
lot nicer, there I spent 90 something days on a 80' highseas
gillnetter. The fun didn't end there. Took a break in mid 80s then
returned '87-'92. Called it quits and got a nice job on the beach. But
that was just the Bering. Did get to go out as far as Adak and later
Attu......... Uggggg.

And after all that I still stand, with all my fingers, and say there
are no such things as Rogue Waves.......... Uh..... I will agree that Rogue
Beer certainly exists. Heck, im even a card carrying Citizen of the
Rogue Nation. Funny thing is I use to see as many Rogue T-shirts in
the Unisea bar as I did in Newport.

I do agree there are some very big waves out there. But disagree with
the connotation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connotation) of the term
Rogue Wave.

Humbly yours,
Bob

You You is offline

In article
,
Bob wrote:

On Nov 25, 10:09 am, You wrote:
In article
,

Bob wrote:
On Nov 24, 5:12 pm, wrote:

[...]

Bob, spending one trip on the Bering Sea in winter doesn't make you
the Xpert, you portray. Summertime in Bristol Bay doesn't count for
squat. Also sitting in a Bar in Dutch doesn't qualify you as anything
but a Bar Fly, christmas or not. Being a processor on 150' Longliner,
only means your as good as the next Mexican on the slimeline. When you
have 20 years of navigating the Bering in winter, in a Crabber, then come
back and tell us all about, "How there is no such thing as a Rouge Wave".
It happens, not often, but it happens. It is documented on film, in some
of the footage shot, when filming the "Deadliest Catch". Standard Bering
Sea weather, 40 Ft seas, 60 Knot winds, vessel is jogging into the
prevailing sea, just to stay on the gear, and gets "Creamed" by a 80
footer, hitting from the Port Quarter, which rolls the vessel 75 degrees
over and causes the Mains, Aux Gensets, to shut down from Low OIl
Pressure, because the Oil Pickups on the engines are not designed to
to run, when the engines are on their sides. Only one wave hits them on
the Port Quarter, and the rest of the night, Sea State stays near the
same, after the wave. NOW, if that isn't a "Rouge Wave", just what
would you call it? Hmmmm....... The rest of the Story.... the crew spent
the next hour getting the Mains and Aux, restarted, and getting the
vessel back, Jogging into the seas, all the while getting slammed
broadside, by the prevailing Sea. A lot of bruses, and stuff scattered
all over the deck. No Dead, or seriously injured. Lost some Deck Gear,
overboard as it wasn't lashed down with the ChainBinders wired in the
locked position. There is a reason that you don't see many vessels
navigating the Bering Sea in winter, unless they absolutly have to....

Bob Bob is offline

On Nov 26, 10:25 am, You wrote:
In article

Bob, spending one trip on the Bering Sea in winter doesn't make you
the Xpert, you portray.

Hi there You:

A couple things.......

1) It seems my memory is a bit sharper than yours. If you remember
correctly.... Uh, maybe I should say simply say remember, we had this
same conversation a few months ago the last time Rogue Waves surfaced.
You did the same thing then as now: A) started with "if youve ever
been in the Bering...." B) devalue my experience naming me a "bar
fly", C) attempting to build your own credibility with a few sea
stories. Maybe you should simply copy and past. It would be faster.

2) Begging your Saltyness. I'll end and say, to believe a huge
anomalous wave is cast up by the hand of Neptunus Rex to smite hapless
mariners is a somewhat outdated explanation. This simply puts boaters
in the role of victim. A step in a helpful direction requires belief
that a few really big waves are found at the 3rd SD (wings/tails) of
some scatter plot. But that is not adequate either. I ask in all
sincerity, as I did last time;

Please list those items that create/contribute to the likelihood of
"Rogue Waves."

There is finally some really good information available that not only
describe those seldom seen really big wave process, but will actually
PREDICT the likelihood of an event. So my dear Saltyness what are
those conditions and process? Or do you have only criticism and glory
day stories?

Gotta get back to work. My 2 hour library connection is running.

Bob

On Nov 26, 7:18 pm, Bob wrote:

snip

Please list those items that create/contribute to the likelihood of
"Rogue Waves."

There is finally some really good information available that not only
describe those seldom seen really big wave process, but will actually
PREDICT the likelihood of an event.

snip

Bob

Do you believe in these waves or not ? I can't tell.

Todd
You You is offline

In article
,
Bob wrote:

[...]

I am not a Meteriologist, or a Climatologist, or a lot of other
Scientific Ologists, but I have been a Mariner, on the Bering in
winter. I have seen, with my own eyes, and lived to tell the
tale. There are those of my brother Mariners, who have not lived
to tell the tale. Rogue Waves DO exist. They have been documented
on film, AND by Mariners, who have as I have, lived to tell the
tale. You may not believe that they exist, but that doesn't mean they
don't exist, and your experience, or lack thereof, only shows that
you aren't a Creditable Source, of information on the question.
When you see the damage done by this type of wave, like the Northland
Marine Barge that had the first three stacks of containers, on the bow,
Squashed FLAT by a single wave, while navigating between Nome, and
Unalaska, southbound, then you begin to understand just what the issues
are, for the question at hand.

sonny, you have no idea, of what you speak...........
Bob Bob is offline

On Nov 27, 10:45 am, You wrote:

sonny, you have no idea, of what you speak..........

Dear You:

Roger knows what I Im talking about. To be clear........ yes I have
seen some HUGE waves compared to the rest of the sets. Yes, there are
unusually huge waves that are not like the rest at a spot and time.
But there is nothing Roguish about them. THey happen. THey happen in
certain places because of a certain set of events. SO I ask you
again....
You, please list those conditions/events that create the really big
wave that people regretably call Rogue.
1)
2)
3)
4)
5)

Oh, the above is called a fill in the blank........ they are a little
harder than muliple choice. But I think you cna handle it.

bob

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 17:59:38 -0800 (PST), Bob
wrote:

...please list those conditions/events that create the really big
wave that people regretably call Rogue.

bob

Er...that would be a long wind fetch on an adverse current,
I take it?

Or a tsunami, no doubt.

Brian W

Rogue Waves... Short Wave Sportfishing General 8 July 11th 07 02:48 AM
Rogue waves.. Eisboch General 14 September 13th 06 11:52 PM
Rogue waves.. JimH General 0 September 13th 06 10:49 PM
rogue waves Jason Cruising 22 July 18th 06 07:12 AM
Rogue Waves.... Short Wave Sportfishing General 5 August 14th 04 04:54 PM