Bob Bob is offline

Default New Software Could Warn Sailors of Rogue Waves

On Nov 27, 6:04 pm, Brian Whatcott wrote:

Er...that would be a long wind fetch on an adverse current,
I take it?

That certainly does create steep frequent waves. Sorta like a
"washboard road. I think Rogue Waves are a little diffrent in that it
is significanly larger and not seemingly having any predictable
pattern. Thats what freak evevyone out about them.

Or a tsunami, no doubt.

No expert here. Never been in a real big tsunami. I went to a tidal
wave part in the 80s on the Oregon coast. I thing it registerd a
couple inches and the OSU Marine Science Center but what ive heard
is its not noticable at sea. Just at the shore when the water
disaperars, then returns....... Phuket, Cresent City, CA and AK in way
early 1960s

Okay here is one condition that creates Rogues waves.......
take the Pacific. You have a huge Low in the Gulf of Alaska and
another Low 3000 miles to the south and west. Both create long sea
swells of diffrent duration and have thousand of miles to travel
(fetch) untill they get to N 48 : Straights of Juan De****ya. You ve
got local weather/ swells and then thoes swells from the big Lows way
off just seem ot get in sink with a local normal swell all at the
same place and same time that build to make a Hug "rogue wave" They
all sorta stack on each other all at once......... then back to
normal.....

Thats probable the most well know cause. There are a few more. But I
am sure that old salt who posted here named You will add a few more in
the morning..

Bob

Brian W

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 17:59:38 -0800 (PST), Bob
wrote:

On Nov 27, 10:45 am, You wrote:

sonny, you have no idea, of what you speak..........

Dear You:

Roger knows what I Im talking about. To be clear........ yes I have
seen some HUGE waves compared to the rest of the sets. Yes, there are
unusually huge waves that are not like the rest at a spot and time.
But there is nothing Roguish about them. THey happen. THey happen in
certain places because of a certain set of events. SO I ask you
again....
You, please list those conditions/events that create the really big
wave that people regretably call Rogue.
1)
2)
3)
4)
5)

Oh, the above is called a fill in the blank........ they are a little
harder than muliple choice. But I think you cna handle it.

bob

Try http://www.math.uio.no/~karstent/waves/index_en.html
for a scientific discussion of "rogue waves".

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(Note:remove underscores
from address for reply)
Bob Bob is offline

On Nov 28, 12:18 am, Gordon wrote:
Bob wrote:
[...]

Hi the

Nope............ just me. But had finished a few pints of local brew
with a couple OSU oceanography grad students last night. Now there was
a wealth of info. and cheep too. Just add beer! Oh, but it gets
better......... the beer was free! Rogue Brewery had some new Japanese
brew début and was giving free pints away as a taste. ...... A
couple months ago I was yaking with a coastie who drives the local 47'
life boat. He had lots to say too! Lots of excellent ideas.

Information is all over the place. Just got to be in a place that has
an actual working bayfront or what others call a working harbor. Hang
out with nothing but a bunch of sailboat yachties and its kinda of an
incestuous group thing event. Right now every one here is geared up
for the Dungeness crab opener. Lots of forklifts moving pots around. A
few tourist take pictures. I do a few projects on my boat, drink free
brew, and wait.

Bob
PS the bull dogs have rubber teeth, the cops wooden legs, and the
jails are made of tin,....................

Rogue Waves... Short Wave Sportfishing General 8 July 11th 07 02:48 AM
Rogue waves.. Eisboch General 14 September 13th 06 11:52 PM
Rogue waves.. JimH General 0 September 13th 06 10:49 PM
rogue waves Jason Cruising 22 July 18th 06 07:12 AM
Rogue Waves.... Short Wave Sportfishing General 5 August 14th 04 04:54 PM