Bob Bob is offline

Default New Software Could Warn Sailors of Rogue Waves

On Nov 25, 10:09 am, You wrote:
In article
,

Bob wrote:
On Nov 24, 5:12 pm, wrote:

Obviously, you have never navigated the Bering Sea in winter........

Hello You.................

You are right. Never have "navigated" (plot course) and have not
sailed my Freya up there, but I did stand watch and a bunch of other
stuff. The first time was I set foot on the Bering was December 27,
1983. I spent a week at the Unisea (Dutch) waiting for the weather to
break so the Padilla could get out. Got to do my first at sea transfer
to get on my boat. How to scramble up the side of a boat in 20' seas?
Humm, lets see... hands on the ropes not on the rungs... grab the ladder
and don't stop... If I fall--I am dead. Check....

Try spending Christmas in the Dutch Unisea Inn Lots happened that
season. Probably the worst was when a 300' Japanese F/T T-boned
midships another Jap F/T. It sank in less than 5 minuets (80+/-
crew). So I sat on the bridge listening to the different boats pulling
bodies out of the water on 2182. Granted I only spent 82 days that
winter on a relatively safe 150' longliner. The following summer was a
lot nicer, there I spent 90 something days on a 80' highseas
gillnetter. The fun didn't end there. Took a break in mid 80s then
returned '87-'92. Called it quits and got a nice job on the beach. But
that was just the Bering. Did get to go out as far as Adak and later
Attu......... Uggggg.

And after all that I still stand, with all my fingers, and say there
are no such things as Rogue Waves.......... Uh..... I will agree that Rogue
Beer certainly exists. Heck, im even a card carrying Citizen of the
Rogue Nation. Funny thing is I use to see as many Rogue T-shirts in
the Unisea bar as I did in Newport.

I do agree there are some very big waves out there. But disagree with
the connotation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connotation) of the term
Rogue Wave.

Humbly yours,
Bob