Default Rogue waves..

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 23:00:36 GMT, Shortwave Sportfishing
wrote:

Tonight on the History Channel.

8 PM.

Consult your local listings.

Wow- very cool.

Good show.

Kinda put our friend from Down Under in the waste basket.

It really was a good show. Thanks for the heads up or I would have missed
it.
It must be something to be out on the ocean in perfectly calm seas and look
up and see one of those things coming at you.

Eisboch

My Dad and his XO often told the story of a rogue that hit their DE
while on North Atlantic Convoy duty just prior to WWII. They often
laughed about being underwater for about two minutes before the DE
popped back up to the surface.

It was their favorite story while fishing - I never tired of hearing
it. :)

Having had two tours on DEs during my Navy experience, I can appreciate the
story without even hearing it.

Eisboch

Eisboch wrote:
My Dad and his XO often told the story of a rogue that hit their DE
while on North Atlantic Convoy duty just prior to WWII. They often
laughed about being underwater for about two minutes before the DE
popped back up to the surface.

It was their favorite story while fishing - I never tired of hearing
it. :)

Having had two tours on DEs during my Navy experience, I can appreciate the
story without even hearing it.

What ships did you serve on?

My dad commanded the USS Camp DE 251 in the late around 69 to 71.

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 07:12:20 -0400, "Eisboch"
wrote:

Having had two tours on DEs during my Navy experience, I can appreciate
the
story without even hearing it.

I bet you can.

Those were amazing little warships.

I remember the chow line to the little mess hall used to extend out one of
the side door hatches and down the exterior of the ship. Welded to the
outside overhead were rails spaced about 2 feet apart. It was more common
than not to be standing in line, shooting the **** with one hand holding one
of the overhead rails. Every couple of minutes everyone would have to grab
the rail with their other hand as well and do a pull-up to avoid getting
soaked from a greenie washing down the side of the ship.

It's comical to think about it now ... nobody really took notice of the
technique unless it was a particularly big greenie and they never
interrupted the conversations.

Eisboch

"Bert Robbins" wrote in message
. ..

Eisboch wrote:
My Dad and his XO often told the story of a rogue that hit their DE
while on North Atlantic Convoy duty just prior to WWII. They often
laughed about being underwater for about two minutes before the DE
popped back up to the surface.

It was their favorite story while fishing - I never tired of hearing
it. :)

Having had two tours on DEs during my Navy experience, I can appreciate
the story without even hearing it.

What ships did you serve on?

My dad commanded the USS Camp DE 251 in the late around 69 to 71.

I was on the USS Lester (DE-1022) and USS VanVoorhis (DE-1028). Both were
built and commissioned in the mid 1950s.

The USS Camp was one of the few WWII vintage DEs that continued in service
thru the 60s. It was reclassified and recommisioned as DER-251, a radar
picket ship.

Eisboch (full of useless information)

Eisboch wrote:
My Dad and his XO often told the story of a rogue that hit their DE
while on North Atlantic Convoy duty just prior to WWII. They often
laughed about being underwater for about two minutes before the DE
popped back up to the surface.

It was their favorite story while fishing - I never tired of hearing
it. :)
Having had two tours on DEs during my Navy experience, I can appreciate
the story without even hearing it.

What ships did you serve on?

My dad commanded the USS Camp DE 251 in the late around 69 to 71.

I was on the USS Lester (DE-1022) and USS VanVoorhis (DE-1028). Both were
built and commissioned in the mid 1950s.

The USS Camp was one of the few WWII vintage DEs that continued in service
thru the 60s. It was reclassified and recommisioned as DER-251, a radar
picket ship.

The USS Camp was also transfered, decommissioned from the US Navy and
commissioned in the South Vietnamese Navy, to the South Vietnamese Navy
as the Tran Hung Dou(?) HQ-1 commanded by Captain. Tran Van Triet. Vice
Adm. Chon SVN was at the ceremony and he listed to port due to the 30
odd medals on his left breast.

There were many types and configurations of destroyers and frigates at
the destroyer docks in Pearl Harbor in the late 60's and early 70's. I
was able to go on many tours of destroyers, frigates and submarines due
to my father being a CO and his USNA brotherhood.

Also, I watched the filming of many of the scenes in Pearl Harbor for
Tora, Tora, Tora.

"Bert Robbins" wrote in message

There were many types and configurations of destroyers and frigates at the
destroyer docks in Pearl Harbor in the late 60's and early 70's. I was
able to go on many tours of destroyers, frigates and submarines due to my
father being a CO and his USNA brotherhood.

Navy ships, particularly the smaller ones hold a certain facination on me.
Check out some of the new, "stealthy" frigate, destroyer and cruiser designs
being commissioned now-a-days. Beautiful and deadly looking.

Eisboch

http://www.navsource.org/archives/06/251.htm

Eisboch wrote:
"Bert Robbins" wrote in message

There were many types and configurations of destroyers and frigates at the
destroyer docks in Pearl Harbor in the late 60's and early 70's. I was
able to go on many tours of destroyers, frigates and submarines due to my
father being a CO and his USNA brotherhood.

Navy ships, particularly the smaller ones hold a certain facination on me.
Check out some of the new, "stealthy" frigate, destroyer and cruiser designs
being commissioned now-a-days. Beautiful and deadly looking.

Eisboch

Destroyer Escorts were like luxury cruise ships compared to the
Corvettes used by Canada in WW2. Those things rolled, pitched & yawed in
the least bit of swell and two of my uncles and the wife's father sailed
on them. In fact, the wife's father sailed on this one...
http://www.hmcssackville-cnmt.ns.ca/history.html

wrote in message

All you Navy guys were sissies. The Coast Guard bounced around the
same water in AVPs (311ft) "Secretary" cutters (327 ft) and the WPG
(255ft).

By the mid 60s the "weather patrols" were pretty much a navy operation
anyway in white ships. I figued it was just a way to hide DoD expenses
in the Treasury and later DoT budget. We were quietly transformed into
ASW platforms. I was in the ordinance department and still never had a
clue ablut our SONAR equipment and I was in charge of the ASW
torpedos. They did assure me they could hear anything the ruskies had
and I knew if they gave me good "prersets" I could kill them. The
problem was they would kill us too.

The DEs I served on were only 315' LOA. In 1970 several of these DEs were
equipped with a then experimental system called "ITASS" (Interim Towed Array
Surveillance System). It was a towed, passive sonar system similar in
concept to an operational stationary system called "SOSUS" and consisted of
an extremely sensitive hydrophone array towed behind the ship. With three
ships operating reasonably close together (hundreds of miles) Soviet
submarines were detected and located by triangulation. Over time each
sub's (or surface vessel for that matter) unique characteristic sound was
recorded and stored in a signature library in the system computer.
Subsequent detection of the same ship or sub would also yield it's type and
eventually, its identity by name. (As depicted in Tom Clancy's "Hunt for Red
October").

The USS Van Voorhis was the first ship that had the experimental system
retrofitted and my job was that of being was part of the ITASS project team
that tweaked and peaked it to make it work. When the equipment was
eventually transferred over to the USS Lester in Naples, Italy, I went
along with the gear which is why I ended up on two of those DEs.

Now-a-days almost all of the smaller Navy surface ships has a mature version
of this system, now called "Tactical Towed Array Sonar. Subs also have a
similar system.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita.../an-sqr-19.htm

To give you an idea of how sensitive this stuff is .... back in the 60s the
stationary SOSUS grid in Bermuda could detect and identify a Soviet sub
passing through the Straits of Gibraltar.

Eisboch

rogue waves Jason Cruising 22 July 18th 06 07:12 AM
Mayday off coast of Mexico-rescued from catamaran Mic Cruising 78 February 8th 06 05:53 PM
Rogue Waves.... Short Wave Sportfishing General 5 August 14th 04 04:54 PM
Rogue Waves - Reuters Bob Crantz ASA 12 July 27th 04 12:45 AM
Monster waves Rick ASA 58 December 6th 03 12:20 AM