Default Repower engine :: Phasor .. ever hear of it?

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 09:09:17 +0700, Bruce in Bangkok
wrote:

The robin may be a Subaru brand but as I stated they look exactly like
a Honda 5 HP air cooled single cylinder "lawn mower" engine. I doubt
that they are used in home built aircraft.

Bruce-in-Bangkok

5 HP may be suitable for large models, but is low for man rated
aircraft. 1 c.c. model diesels could put out 1 HP at high revs.

Think 60 HP on up.... (Come to think of it though,
the VW was rated 28 HP at some build state...)

Brian W

wrote:

The robin may be a Subaru brand but as I stated they look exactly like
a Honda 5 HP air cooled single cylinder "lawn mower" engine. I doubt
that they are used in home built aircraft.

Bruce-in-Bangkok

5 HP may be suitable for large models, but is low for man rated
aircraft. 1 c.c. model diesels could put out 1 HP at high revs.

Think 60 HP on up.... (Come to think of it though,
the VW was rated 28 HP at some build state...)

Brian W

True, but the original post was about seeing a Robin and a Honda in a
shop. The inference was (I thought) that we were talking about low
horsepower as the previous discussion that led to this post was
regarding 1 - 3 KW generators which equates to 1 - 5 HP engines.

At one time I did a fair amount of work on VW engines and I frankly
never thought much of them. Given that they were originally designed
to be installed in a car that sold for a few hundred dollars they were
probably suitable but I always wondered about putting them in an
airplane as the "thrust bearing" was the rear flange of the rear main
bearing and play was adjusted by placing shims between the flywheel
and its mounting flange.

I assume that when they were installed in a home built they must have
had some additional thrust bearing added.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(Note:remove underscores
from address for reply)

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 12:46:23 +0700, Bruce in Bangkok
wrote:

I assume that when they (VWs) were installed in a
home built they must have
had some additional thrust bearing added.

Bruce-in-Bangkok

Some do, but more don't, it appears.

Brian W

Outboard repower RCE General 6 April 5th 06 07:21 AM
repower P 4-154 Skip Gundlach Boat Building 6 January 21st 04 09:10 PM
repower P 4-154 Skip Gundlach Cruising 12 January 21st 04 09:10 PM
Repower I/O wgsant Cruising 14 January 15th 04 02:51 PM
Need advice on repower........... JOLOBSTER General 0 July 19th 03 07:13 AM