Default Chain hook

Jim has brought up a good point. For those of us who us all chain, how do
you attach your snubber?

Chain hook, how well does it stay?

Carabineer, do you think it is strong enough?

Rolling hitch, how well does it hold on chain?

Any thing else?

Just a question for those who are interested.

Ansley Sawyer
SV Pacem

Bob Bob is offline

On Nov 4, 3:49 pm, "Ansley W. Sawyer" wrote:
Jim has brought up a good point. For those of us who us all chain, how do
you attach your snubber?

Chain hook, how well does it stay?

Okay sorta till the bow starts to jump around

Carabineer, do you think it is strong enough?

NOpe.

Rolling hitch, how well does it hold on chain?

Darn good

Any thing else?

Lots.......... I use a Trawlex chain shackle through a link and then
connect with an eye splice and thimble.
maybe a pelican hook
or there are some special release hardware ya can use. how about a Sea
Catch Toggle Release.
Just got to get out of Westmarine. Pick up a National Fisherman or an
issue of WorkBoat. go online for either. O, another good place for
"real" marine hardware is Boats and Harbors.
Bob

Just a question for those who are interested.

Ansley Sawyer
SV Pacem

On Sun, 4 Nov 2007 18:49:26 -0500, "Ansley W. Sawyer"
wrote:

Jim has brought up a good point. For those of us who us all chain, how do
you attach your snubber?

Chain hook, how well does it stay?

It "stays" very well as long as there is tension on it. I let out a
15 or 20 ft loop of chain after the chain hook to ensure that there is
always a strain on it. That also creates somewhat of a kellet effect
to increase the catenary.
Jim Jim is offline

wrote:

Jim has brought up a good point. For those of us who us all chain, how do
you attach your snubber?

Chain hook, how well does it stay?

It "stays" very well as long as there is tension on it. I let out a
15 or 20 ft loop of chain after the chain hook to ensure that there is
always a strain on it. That also creates somewhat of a kellet effect
to increase the catenary.

Good thought. I always released the tension in the chain but never
really let additional out. So when things got real calm and I drifted
over the anchor, there wasn't any tension or not enough.

Jim.

"Ansley W. Sawyer" wrote in message
Jim has brought up a good point. For those of us who us all chain, how do
you attach your snubber?

Chain hook, how well does it stay?

Carabineer, do you think it is strong enough?

Rolling hitch, how well does it hold on chain?

Any thing else?

Just a question for those who are interested.

Ansley Sawyer
SV Pacem

In another group a fellow suggested using a mainsail reefing hook, the sort
of thing you have fastened at the forward end of your boom. Buy one that
has a good U-shaped curve to it and that will fit through your chain.
Splice some nylon line to it.

"Roger Long" wrote in message
"Gordon Wedman" wrote

In another group a fellow suggested using a mainsail reefing hook, the
sort of thing you have fastened at the forward end of your boom.

Another good example of the advice available in these newsgroups being
worth every penny we pay for membership.

Look at a proper chain hook and then at a mainsail reefing hook. Ponder
the cross sections, the material, the anticiapated loads. You won't sleep
with a reefing hook holding your boat in a blow after that.

--
Roger Long

Well given enough "blow" nothing will survive. Its probably adequate for a
smaller boat that's not contemplating riding out a hurricane. For my 25,000
pound boat I have a proper chain hook.

On Mon, 5 Nov 2007 13:48:47 -0500, "Roger Long"
wrote:

Look at a proper chain hook and then at a mainsail reefing hook. Ponder the
cross sections, the material, the anticiapated loads. You won't sleep with
a reefing hook holding your boat in a blow after that.

Exactly right. The chain hook, shackle and hookline all need to be
sized to approximate the Safe Working Load (SWL) of the chain itself.
You really don't want to be losing your hookline under a heavy strain.

wrote:

Jim has brought up a good point. For those of us who us all chain, how do
you attach your snubber?

Chain hook, how well does it stay?

It "stays" very well as long as there is tension on it. I let out a
15 or 20 ft loop of chain after the chain hook to ensure that there is
always a strain on it. That also creates somewhat of a kellet effect
to increase the catenary.

I've used chain hook and rolling hitch, allways letting out a load of chain
so the rope takes all the strain. Also, I prefer to let out a minimum of 10m
of snubber, often more, to get the elasticity which is essential in really
strong winds (meltemi anchoring in Greece, mainly).

The rolling hitch passed through my hawse, so it could be tied and untied on
deck. It never failed. The chain hook had to be attatched outside the hawse
(fiddly), but was dead easy to drop off when bringing it in. I gave up the
chain hook because, in shallower anchorages, I couldn't use more snubber
line than the depth. If the hook rubbed the ground in light conditions, it
came off - unless I had captured it with some sort of seizing or wiring. And
that was just one more step too fiddly me . . .
--
JimB
Google 'jimb sail' or go www.jimbaerselman.f2s.com

Yo,, Skip .. your off the hook ... NE Sailboat Cruising 2 April 7th 07 03:34 AM
Swinging on a hook Joe ASA 6 March 23rd 07 10:09 PM
Sail hook Frayed Knots Boat Building 3 February 7th 06 08:49 PM
Hook line and Sinker Joe ASA 1 January 20th 06 05:24 PM
Hook flipper JohnH General 1 January 8th 06 03:16 PM