Default planning a single handed trans atlantic west to east

i am 22yr old very keen sailer, and am planning a single handed trip
america to england, the northern route. the boat is a bristol 27.

i am after any advice on the route and the boat. i am not familiar
with this boat yet at all but have heard good things about it.

any help would be much appreciated

rergards

Jade

On 2007-10-03 10:12:55 -0400, said:

i am 22yr old very keen sailer, and am planning a single handed trip
america to england, the northern route. the boat is a bristol 27.

i am after any advice on the route and the boat. i am not familiar
with this boat yet at all but have heard good things about it.

any help would be much appreciated

Why, except to say you done it -- IF you finish?

You'll be new to the boat, her problems likely undiscovered, doing
something you've never done before. Bad combination.

But if you're determined: I forget the name of the rally that does that,
and doubt you'd be big enough or have enough crew to formally enter, but
the organizers and participants would be who I would ask for advise.

Oh gosh, as I thought about it, a video came to mind that was
circulating a year or so ago: Single-hander's video camera was found
onboard a boat drifting near England with him not on it. Anyone know
where that is?

Wasn't that the guy who was trying to "kite" across from St. Johns?

They picked him off abandoning the yellow plastic washing machine/coffin
like contraption after it rolled a bunch of times?

The gizmo was indestructible, the contents was not.

I can't remember where it was but there maybe there is enough here for a
dedicated Googler to find it.

On 2007-10-04 22:38:46 -0400, jfr said:

It was the adventurer Dom Mee. He was rescued after activating his
EPIRB, I believe. But the camera and video were found in the boat when
it washed ashore. Hopefully this link will work:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...064863848092&q

That's the one. I didn't know he'd been rescued, which made it even scarier.

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD

On Oct 3, 10:12 am, wrote:
i am 22yr old very keen sailer, and am planning a single handed trip
america to england, the northern route. the boat is a bristol 27.

i am after any advice on the route and the boat. i am not familiar
with this boat yet at all but have heard good things about it.

any help would be much appreciated

rergards

Jade

Good boat but get a back up auxiliary rudder you can mount on the
stern. If you lose steerage, well you know.
Safety in redundancy. I've seen many boats lose a rudder for various
reasons.

On Oct 3, 9:12 am, wrote:
i am 22yr old very keen sailer, and am planning a single handed trip
america to england, the northern route. the boat is a bristol 27.

i am after any advice on the route and the boat. i am not familiar
with this boat yet at all but have heard good things about it.

any help would be much appreciated

rergards

Jade

Jade: Many years ago I owned a Bristol 27 (hull # 265). I discovered,
luckily in time, that the water tank was not secured. I was located
under the V-berth and began to bang violently against the hull while I
was crossing a very rough Anagada Passage toward St. Maartin. I let a
friend take the helm while I went below to investigate. The water tank
got "air borne" when the boat plunged down into a trough, then when
the boat came up--wham--against the falling water tank--about 140
pounds of weight. So All I could do at the time was wedge my rubber
swim fins under the tank when it lifted. This worked, and we got to
St. Maartin safely; made the trip again the next year. Later I put
some better foam blocks under the tank, and that took care of it for
the next 5-6 thousand miles of sailing I did in the Caribbean and then
lastly, to Florida.
Also, as mentioned, my rudder was developing some play--on the trip to
the states, which I attribitued to the weight I had on board, strained
or sprung it some...the shaft in the rudder was beginning to rotate
and I worried about this, but it never got worse...although by this
point the wind was behind us, mostly.

I always figured a speed of 5. knots, and was usually correct by the
day''s end. It was a great boat for me, I lived aboard for about 4
years. Good luck and don't underestimate the Sea.
Steve

Single handed docking Bart ASA 25 July 25th 07 11:25 PM
Single Handed Anchoring off the bow Harlan Lachman Cruising 42 February 27th 07 03:35 AM
Recommend a low priced single handed dinghy ? Mike Mc ASA 6 August 3rd 04 04:37 PM
Single Handed Lock Working Jon Masterson UK Power Boats 2 July 27th 04 07:02 AM
Single Handed Flag?? Steve Cruising 32 January 8th 04 05:06 PM