Default Standing rigging Tune up

I went sailing on a friend's Helms 24 recently. I'm fairly sure that the
rigging has not been tuned up recently. I've never done this but am
reasonably handy. Does any one have info on the Helms 24? Does anyone want
to suggest a good site with some suggestions or tips on doing this?

Thanks,
Dave M.

On 2007-09-21 15:50:46 -0400, "David Martel" said:

I went sailing on a friend's Helms 24 recently. I'm fairly sure that
the rigging has not been tuned up recently. I've never done this but am
reasonably handy. Does any one have info on the Helms 24? Does anyone
want to suggest a good site with some suggestions or tips on doing this?

I didn't find a guide specific to the Helms, but did find one which is
a pretty good starter, pretty much what I do with Xan:
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33204

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD

Jere,

Thanks. This fellow sets the headstay (fore stay) hand tight and then
devotes a lot of time to the shrouds. I follow that but then he announces
that he's done. I don't follow that. He's backed off the head and aft stays
till their loose and then tightened the head stay hand tight. He doesn't
tighten the aft stays at all and doesn't tune the stays to attain any sort
of rake. Hasn't he left out 1/2 the tune up. He's only done the shrouds.
Also, is a Loos gauge a good thing to have. Would a rental center near
the marina be a place to rent one.

Dave M.

On 2007-09-25 20:10:10 -0400, "David Martel" said:

Jere,

Thanks. This fellow sets the headstay (fore stay) hand tight and then
devotes a lot of time to the shrouds. I follow that but then he
announces that he's done. I don't follow that. He's backed off the head
and aft stays till their loose and then tightened the head stay hand
tight. He doesn't tighten the aft stays at all and doesn't tune the
stays to attain any sort of rake. Hasn't he left out 1/2 the tune up.
He's only done the shrouds.

Oh yeah, that tuning is less than half the job. Keeps the mast up,
somewhat, but the jib's going to be so baggy that you will have all
sorts of problems.

Our forestay is somewhat more tensioned than the side stays, as I
recall. (Our starting numbers are marked right on the gauge, so I can
and do check the tension a couple of times a season without having to
remember anything. That check caught a crumbling bulkhead a couple of
seasons ago.)

If he didn't sail the boat in moderate air to check the lee shrouds,
that "tuning" might be worse than none at all.

It's even worse if the shrouds are aft of the mast. Gets complicated
then, but it's still possible to do it right.

Also, is a Loos gauge a good thing to have. Would a rental center near
the marina be a place to rent one.

I keep one on board, right by the companionway for ready use. They
saved me money the first time I didn't call on the rigger. Too loose
rigging will break a mast sooner than too tight.

I forget if it's your boat, but they're GREAT gifts for any owner.

For a quick check, ask around the dock. Mine's always available for
loan. [Just leave it somewhere I can find it, please.]

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD
Xan's new pages: http://web.mac.com/jerelull/iWeb/Xan/
Our BVI pages: http://homepage.mac.com/jerelull/BVI/

Inspecting Standing Rigging Chris Boat Building 23 June 8th 06 07:44 AM
Inspecting Standing Rigging Chris Cruising 22 June 8th 06 07:44 AM
standing rigging prodigal1 Cruising 33 January 5th 06 10:10 PM
rigging tune question Dave Royer General 3 April 26th 05 12:21 AM
STANDING RIGGING...to ground or not? JAD Electronics 2 October 9th 03 01:31 AM