Steve

Default Berthing a single engine cruiser in reverse

"Ghoti" wrote in message
Installing a bow thruster can help immensely if you find you can't "get

it."
Ghoti

I have a small single engine inboard/outboard cruiser which is

As may be seen the OP is in regards to a 'small I/O cruiser..

It would be inappropriate and impactical to put a bow thruster on such a
shallow draft boat..

IMHO, as bow thruster is to compensate for poor boat handling skills.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Ghoti

If everyone had the attitude that you do, we wouldn't have GPS (for those
who can't navigate well enough) sounders (for those who can't throw a
tallow-filled leadline well enough) or hydraulic steering (for those too
weak to turn the wheel). I disagree totally that a bow thruster can't be
used on a small I/O. There are currently units available to fit virtually
any sized boat. They are relatively easy to retrofit, too.

"Steve" wrote in message

"Ghoti" wrote in message
Installing a bow thruster can help immensely if you find you can't "get

it."
Ghoti

I have a small single engine inboard/outboard cruiser which is

As may be seen the OP is in regards to a 'small I/O cruiser..

It would be inappropriate and impactical to put a bow thruster on such a
shallow draft boat..

IMHO, as bow thruster is to compensate for poor boat handling skills.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

---

Steve

"Ghoti" wrote in message
If everyone had the attitude that you do, we wouldn't have GPS (for those

Lighten up.. It was a friendly 'rib' I have used since I was in the navy.. I
just forgot to put the 'winking smiley face'..

Back ground: In the '70s the navy started putting bow thrusters on many
single screw combatant ships (frigates,etc). I was from the old navy where
such things were unheard of.. However by that time I was nearing retirement
and working in shipyards and especially dry docks. The ships liaison was
usually an ensign or jg and they would ask, on a daily basis, about the
progress on their bow thruster.. Hense the remark about 'ship handling
skills'.

Again, sorry if I offended.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

otnmbrd

Steve wrote:
"Ghoti" wrote in message

If everyone had the attitude that you do, we wouldn't have GPS (for those

Lighten up.. It was a friendly 'rib' I have used since I was in the navy.. I
just forgot to put the 'winking smiley face'..

Back ground: In the '70s the navy started putting bow thrusters on many
single screw combatant ships (frigates,etc). I was from the old navy where
such things were unheard of.. However by that time I was nearing retirement
and working in shipyards and especially dry docks. The ships liaison was
usually an ensign or jg and they would ask, on a daily basis, about the
progress on their bow thruster.. Hense the remark about 'ship handling
skills'.

Again, sorry if I offended.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

G Frigates don't have bow thrusters, they have APU's, which makes for
some good/bad/screwy ideas, as to how to use them.

Steve

"otnmbrd" wrote in message news:ipmNb.9658

G Frigates don't have bow thrusters, they have APU's, which makes for
some good/bad/screwy ideas, as to how to use them.

Your right with the APU (auxiliary propulsion unit). I racked my brain
trying to remember that acronym.. Been 25 years..

The were lowered down for use and retracted up into the bottom with a
fairing plate so they wouldn't effect the ships speed.. An idea worth
consider for pleasure boats.. Those bow thruster holes must cost a knot or
so in speed. I have a friend who dives down and installs plug in his when he
is headed off shore for a long passage. Makes a big difference, I'm told.

I still think for the OP he should consentrate on improving his boat
handling skills. Especially since a I/O should be easy to manouver, relative
to a prop/rudder boat.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions