John Smith

Default Berthing a single engine cruiser in reverse

I have a small single engine inboard/outboard cruiser which is normally kept
on a mooring. I have just spent a few days at a berth and would like some
references for articles on berthing under a range of conditions, to improve
my skills and knowledge of the subject.

Any suggestions on the best source of articles etc?

Thanks in advance

Keith

http://www.his.com/~vann/KrgStuff/Krognidx.htm

Be patient for the pix to load, then scroll down about 3/4 down the page and
in the FAQ you'll find several good articles about handling single screw
vessels.

"John Smith" wrote in message
I have a small single engine inboard/outboard cruiser which is normally

kept
on a mooring. I have just spent a few days at a berth and would like some
references for articles on berthing under a range of conditions, to

improve
my skills and knowledge of the subject.

Any suggestions on the best source of articles etc?

Thanks in advance

Jack Dale

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 09:55:46 GMT, "John Smith"
wrote:

I have a small single engine inboard/outboard cruiser which is normally kept
on a mooring. I have just spent a few days at a berth and would like some
references for articles on berthing under a range of conditions, to improve
my skills and knowledge of the subject.

Any suggestions on the best source of articles etc?

Thanks in advance

So that he does have to "toot his own horn", I would suggest Charles
T. Low.

http://www.boatdocking.com/

Jack

Jack Dale
Swiftsure Sailing Academy
Director/ISPA and CYA Instructor
http://www.swiftsuresailing.com
Phone: 1 (877) 470-SAIL (toll free)

Steve

So far, it appears that both responses have provided links to sites that
'seem' to discribe docking procedures for prop and rudder boats.

However the OP has a I/O.. Although I have operated many single and twin
scew vessels over the years, I have only tried my hand and OB or I/O boats
(excluding dingies) a few times and know that the procedure is different
since the prop is on your 'rudder'. Back and fill doesn't really apply with
the I/O or the OB since you can steer your stern while backing.

I have no specific advice to give here except to practice and you will get
the hang of it..

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Jere Lull

In article ,
"John Smith" wrote:

I have a small single engine inboard/outboard cruiser which is normally kept
on a mooring. I have just spent a few days at a berth and would like some
references for articles on berthing under a range of conditions, to improve
my skills and knowledge of the subject.

Any suggestions on the best source of articles etc?

Over and above anything you read: practice, practice, practice. Every
boat handles differently and the characteristics will change for various
reasons, including your own increased understanding. Of course, practice
is safest against something that won't break, be broken, or wrap around
the prop. (cushions work well and double as crew overboard drill
targets.) And it's not a one-time thing. After nearly 10 years'
ownership by our boat, I discovered how much better the boat backed in
close quarters with *authoritative* use of the throttle: A two-second
burst gets us moving before we "walk" much, giving positive steerage
(even in the "wrong" direction). Low throttle will walk us in to the
dock against a stiff breeze.

--
Jere Lull

Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes

"John Smith" wrote:

I have a small single engine inboard/outboard cruiser which is normally kept
on a mooring. I have just spent a few days at a berth and would like some
references for articles on berthing under a range of conditions, to improve
my skills and knowledge of the subject.

Any suggestions on the best source of articles etc?

Thanks in advance

I think Cruising World had some articles on this - at least I remember
reading about things like using a spring line to warp yourself into a
slip.

If you are going to be going in and out of the same slip frequently,
you can refine your technique. If it is going to be your home slip,
you can leave lines on the pilings to be retrieved as you come in -
this helps a lot.

Otherwise you have to carefully assess the wind and current to
determine the best course of action.

Our experience is with a heavy modified full keel sailboat, which is
very much affected by both wind and current. Without a lot of either
of those she can spin on her mast. With a lot of either, it's a crap
shoot. There are some slips/places that we just can't get into. Fin
keel spade rudder boats handle very differently.

When we first got our boat, I went out and practiced backing around a
'no wake' buoy in fairly calm conditions.

grandma Rosalie