Default Books on Sailing?

Is there a good book out there, that a beginner can read to learn
basic sailing terminology and methods??

Thanks,

Andy

wrote:
Is there a good book out there, that a beginner can read to learn
basic sailing terminology and methods??

Thanks,

Andy

http://www.paracay.com/Merchant2/mer...ory_Code =BAS

I think Colgate's is one of the better starters.

Find an old copy of Chapman Piloting and Seamanship for a little wider
exposure.

Richard

wrote:

Is there a good book out there, that a beginner can read to learn
basic sailing terminology and methods??

Sailing: A Sailor's Dictionary

Beard & McKie

ISBN: 0-89480-144-9

Have fun.

Lew

cavelamb himself wrote:

wrote:
Is there a good book out there, that a beginner can read to learn
basic sailing terminology and methods??

Thanks,

Andy

I'd recommend the Annapolis Sailing School textbook, or perhaps the
one used by the Coast Guard Auxiliary for their Basic Sailing Course.
Otherwise you will be looking at the equivalent of a dictionary
combined with an encyclopedia - something that you use to find the
answer to a question rather than a textbook for instruction.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Is there a good book out there, that a beginner can read to learn
basic sailing terminology and methods??

Thanks,

Andy

I'd second Richard's (cavelamb) suggestion. USSailing uses the Basic
Keelboat book. It's not bad, but has some basic errors/omissions in it.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Capt. JG" wrote
I'd second Richard's (cavelamb) suggestion. USSailing uses the Basic
Keelboat book. It's not bad, but has some basic errors/omissions in it.

I'm thinking about getting myself a copy of BK. What should I look out for,
error-wise?

"Ernest Scribbler" wrote in message
et...
"Capt. JG" wrote
I'd second Richard's (cavelamb) suggestion. USSailing uses the Basic
Keelboat book. It's not bad, but has some basic errors/omissions in it.

I'm thinking about getting myself a copy of BK. What should I look out
for, error-wise?

The errors are minor. One omission that I don't understand... not including
how to tie a cleat hitch. The other is the calculation for anchor scope.
They say 7:1 which is correct, but then say the total in 10 feet of water is
70, but that doesn't include the distance from the water to the deck where
the anchor is located. I suppose on a small boat it doesn't matter, but for
larger boats it does matter, especially if you're anchoring with less than
7:1 thinking you need less. I can't think of anything else right off.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Capt. JG wrote:

The errors are minor. One omission that I don't understand... not
including how to tie a cleat hitch. The other is the calculation for
anchor scope. They say 7:1 which is correct ...

There is nothing _wrong_ with 7:1, but at the same time there is nothing I
know of that would lead one to label it "correct." Sometimes it's fine,
sometimes too little, sometimes too much.

I am assuming of course good, heavy, quality mooring gear and more than a
merely nominal amount of chain.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat

"Armond Perretta" wrote in message
. ..
Capt. JG wrote:

The errors are minor. One omission that I don't understand... not
including how to tie a cleat hitch. The other is the calculation for
anchor scope. They say 7:1 which is correct ...

There is nothing _wrong_ with 7:1, but at the same time there is nothing I
know of that would lead one to label it "correct." Sometimes it's fine,
sometimes too little, sometimes too much.

I am assuming of course good, heavy, quality mooring gear and more than a
merely nominal amount of chain.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat
http://home.comcast.net/~kerrydeare

Well, this is a newbie asking, so I don't like to get so complicated. The
version I have doesn't describe the ratio properly. There are lots of
considerations when anchoring. He asked about a book. I answered.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com