Default Sailing Books

Hello, what would be a good starting book to learn about sailing, marine
nav. and the like ? Thanks
Keith Harris

I have 3 that cover pretty much everything you would need - the first is
Chapman Piloting by Elbert Maloney. It has everything from laws and regs to
basic seamanship as well as sections on weather/tides and communications.
Sail Power by Wallace Ross is everything from how sails work, design and
construction to trim and tuning by type of sail. Finally, the Handbook of
Sailing by Bob Bond is just what it says - how to choose a boat, rigging,
anchoring, techniques, navigation and safety. It's a slightly (352 pages)
more compact version of Chapman (652 pages). Good luck and happy sailing!

wrote in message
Hello, what would be a good starting book to learn about sailing, marine
nav. and the like ? Thanks

rotoryracer

I am a beginner myself. I went to a sailing seminar run by the local
sailing club to get the basics (good enough to start solo sailing on the
local lake). I have also found the book "Modern Seamanship" by Don Dodds,
Grammercy Books (randomhouse.com) very helpful. The book has a glossary and
index, which are very helpful to educate yourself in 'buffet style'.
C1995 ISBN 0-517-16252-0
best wishes,
wrote in message
Hello, what would be a good starting book to learn about sailing, marine
nav. and the like ? Thanks

MM

Ditto on "Chapman Piloting - Seamanship & Small Boat Handling" A great
resource. I also use "The Complete Sailing Manual" by Steve Sleight (DK
Publishing Inc. www.dk.com) as a good reference tool.

wrote:
Hello, what would be a good starting book to learn about sailing, marine
nav. and the like ? Thanks

Jack Dale

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 21:01:47 -0700, "Keith Harris"
wrote:

I have 3 that cover pretty much everything you would need - the first is
Chapman Piloting by Elbert Maloney. It has everything from laws and regs to
basic seamanship as well as sections on weather/tides and communications.
Sail Power by Wallace Ross is everything from how sails work, design and
construction to trim and tuning by type of sail. Finally, the Handbook of
Sailing by Bob Bond is just what it says - how to choose a boat, rigging,
anchoring, techniques, navigation and safety. It's a slightly (352 pages)
more compact version of Chapman (652 pages). Good luck and happy sailing!

Three GREAT books.

I might add
The Annapolis Book of Seamanship by John Rousmaniere

If you wish to choose one, my vote is with the Handbook of Sailing, an
easier read for beginners.

Jack

Jack Dale
Swiftsure Sailing Academy
Director/ISPA and CYA Instructor
http://www.swiftsuresailing.com
Phone: 1 (877) 470-SAIL (toll free)

FS: 39 Sailing Books, in Portland, OR Over40pirate Marketplace 0 June 18th 04 05:26 PM
History of the American Sailing Navy - 1949 - Chapelle DuLaze Boat Building 0 June 17th 04 04:10 PM
Motor Boat Sailing Oke Fami Boat Building 4 April 21st 04 08:45 PM
Two free books Gould 0738 General 1 November 14th 03 07:11 PM
I'am seeking for sailing or a sailcourse optionsailer General 0 July 12th 03 02:28 PM