Capt. JG Capt. JG is offline

Default Books on Sailing?

"Ernest Scribbler" wrote in message
et...
"Capt. JG" wrote
I'd second Richard's (cavelamb) suggestion. USSailing uses the Basic
Keelboat book. It's not bad, but has some basic errors/omissions in it.

I'm thinking about getting myself a copy of BK. What should I look out
for, error-wise?

The errors are minor. One omission that I don't understand... not including
how to tie a cleat hitch. The other is the calculation for anchor scope.
They say 7:1 which is correct, but then say the total in 10 feet of water is
70, but that doesn't include the distance from the water to the deck where
the anchor is located. I suppose on a small boat it doesn't matter, but for
larger boats it does matter, especially if you're anchoring with less than
7:1 thinking you need less. I can't think of anything else right off.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com