Default Annapolis Sailmakers

We need a new Main - and will be in Annapolis for the show.

Who's got a recommendation based on personal use, for a sailmaker in
the Annapolis area?

Thanks.

L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
Follow us at http://groups.google.com/group/flyingpiglog and/or

"You are never given a wish without also being given the power
to make it come true. You may have to work for it however."
(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in
its hands. You seek problems because you need their gifts."
(Richard Bach, in The Reluctant Messiah)

For cruising boat sails I have used Bacon & Associates 410-263-4880. Bacon
is an established consignment shop, been around for years and years. They
have hardware and sails. Their used sail inventory is impressive and well
cataloged. Take measurements of your main and give them a call or go to
their web site http://www.baconsails.com/

Stu

"Skip Gundlach" wrote in message
ups.com...
We need a new Main - and will be in Annapolis for the show.

Who's got a recommendation based on personal use, for a sailmaker in
the Annapolis area?

Thanks.

L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
Follow us at http://groups.google.com/group/flyingpiglog and/or

"You are never given a wish without also being given the power
to make it come true. You may have to work for it however."
(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in
its hands. You seek problems because you need their gifts."
(Richard Bach, in The Reluctant Messiah)

Skip:

I strongly endorse the Quantum loft here. I had new sails made
before we left TX ( 2+ years ago).
Due to time constraints, was not able to try them prior to departure.
I was not thrilled with the shape of the main, so when
we arrived here, I called them. The service manager came out, hoisted
the main, and agreed with me. Leech was too tight.
Removed the sail, took it back to the loft and repaired it. Out of
warranty, NO CHARGE! That's what I call customer service.

Hi Skip!

I have sailed and raced with employees and customers of both the North
and Quantum lofts here in Annapolis. Based on all the stories I have
heard I have a slight leaning toward Quantum, but I think either would
be a good choice.

On Aug 28, 10:17 pm, Skip Gundlach wrote:
We need a new Main - and will be in Annapolis for the show.

Who's got a recommendation based on personal use, for a sailmaker in
the Annapolis area?

Thanks.

L8R

Skip

Skip I had a mainsail built by Doyle Sailmakers, Scott Allen if I
remember in Eastport...used the stack pack, one of the first ever and
never looked back. Mainsail carried me many years and half way around
without a problem..

On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 10:30:26 -0700, Chris
wrote:

Skip I had a mainsail built by Doyle Sailmakers, Scott Allen if I
remember in Eastport...used the stack pack, one of the first ever and
never looked back. Mainsail carried me many years and half way around
without a problem..

I had a friend with a Doyle stack pack main and he was very happy with
it.

On 2007-08-28 22:17:34 -0400, Skip Gundlach said:

Who's got a recommendation based on personal use, for a sailmaker in
the Annapolis area?

I don't believe there's a *bad* sail loft in Annapolis, just the one
who builds the right sail for you for the right price.

If you're in a hurry to replace that jib, hit Bacon's for used to get
you by quickly, and don't bypass the high-tech racers' cast-offs. Your
jib will give you most of your power as you go south, and getting that
few degrees closer to the wind can make a world of difference some
times.

We had great experiences with North, who we chose because Tanzers seem
to work better with a "racing" cut. They refused to accept my
measurements, but drove 2 hours each way as part of the service. Going
out with you to see if it came out right is part of the standard
service, or used to be.

You might also check out Meade Breeze in Rock Hall, who has an excellent rep.

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD

Thanks to all who have responded. Currently I'm in contact with
several of the makers; some have not responded to my mail at all
(including Bacon's, despite the direct reference there by a customer).

Most seem similar in pricing, so as is my custom, I'm likely to go
with the most responsive. That, currently, is Neil Pryde, Bruce Empey.
Scott Allen (UK) has responded to me as has Max Skelly (Ullmann-
Skelly), North, Quantum and Doyle, as well as the maker of our current
sail, Omar in BeaufortNC. FWIW, we have a MackPack cover, which works
well, but is on its last legs. Likely we'll sew a new one once we get
the new sail, unless we get lucky and the new one fits into it without
alteration.

We're currently in Sheepshead Bay but are headed to the 79th Street
Boat Basin today to catch up with our Kiwi cruising buddies who left 4
months earlier than we did, and do another couple of days of cruising
around the Manhattan area before heading back to Sandy Hook to pick up
some shipments which have come to my brother's, thence to head south
to Annapolis and environs.

After half a dozen realignments, the alternator finally seems to be in
the right position, as the belt is lasting without fraying - the most
recent one was starting to fray, and had wear patterns on one side; I
suspect the "winds it up" adventure was an exploding fan belt, rather
than a chance bounce putting the vent hose into the belt path.

All is well aboard Flying Pig; Lydia's mom is loving every minute of
it, and our first sail, over from Sandy Hook to Sheepshead Bay, was
very nice. Forecasts of yesterday have it nearly ideal for the trip
today; I've not yet checked today's. No log entries, yet, as it's all
about trips ashore and shopping and runs to West, hardware stores,
NAPA and Best Buy (still yet to come, as I have to replace the
wireless keyboard, but really want to replace the computer, too)...

Skip Gundlach wrote:

Thanks to all who have responded. Currently I'm in contact with
several of the makers; some have not responded to my mail at all
(including Bacon's, despite the direct reference there by a customer).

We've used Bacons, but IME you have to go there. They don't do much
off site stuff. Same as the Sailor's Exchange in St. Augustine and
other resale places.

sailmakers Gordon Cruising 5 August 27th 05 09:18 PM
Annapolis Schools etc. Michael ASA 1 August 26th 04 04:39 AM
Annapolis NOODS SAIL LOCO ASA 9 May 4th 04 02:07 AM
FS: NEW Raymarine 215 VHF in Annapolis Peter Kennedy Marketplace 0 December 29th 03 06:22 PM
Annapolis 44 felton ASA 1 June 24th 03 01:53 PM