Default Question for Peggie

Peggie

The head on our boat is a 3 year old Wilcox Headmate. Should there be
any recirculation of the bowl contents happening when one flushes this
head? Either I have just noticed it or the recirculation is getting
worse.

I'd be grateful for your comments before I open up the head.

Many thanks

Matt

wrote:
Peggie

The head on our boat is a 3 year old Wilcox Headmate. Should there be
any recirculation of the bowl contents happening when one flushes this
head? Either I have just noticed it or the recirculation is getting
worse.

Unless you're seeing waste coming out of the rim of the bowl (which I
don't THINK is happening), your toilet isn't recirculating, bowl
contents are backing up.

The most likely cause is a blocked tank vent that's pressurized your
holding tank...creating backpressure that's forcing waste back into the
bowl. One way to find out: open the deck pumpout fitting. Do it very
carefully, with a hose at the ready, and hang onto the cap...'cuz if the
tank is pressurized, there'll be an eruption. However, no eruption
doesn't guarantee that the vent isn't blocked...'cuz if the toilet
hasn't been used in a while, the pressure can dissipate through the toilet.

Tank vents 101:
All tank vents--fuel, water and waste--have two main functions: to
provide an escape for air in the tank displaced by incoming waste and to
provide source of air to replace contents as they're removed. If air
can't get out, the tank becomes pressurized, preventing it from being
filled...if no air can get in, the pump will pull a vacuum that prevents
it from pulling contents out. So if your tank vent IS blocked, you won't
be able to pump out the tank either.

99% of tank vent blockages occur in the vent thru-hull and the
connection to the tank--both the vent line fitting and that end of the
hose. Scrape out what you find with a screwdriver blade or anything else
that works...if there's a screen in the thru-hull, knock it out...it's
not serving any useful purpose anyway.

Although a blocked tank vent is the most likely scenario, there are two
other possibilities: a clog in the discharge line (someone flushed
something they shouldn't have) or a buildup of sea water minerals in the
head discharge line that has reduced the diameter enough to create
backpressure when you flush.

So start with the tank vent...and do NOT use the toilet again till
you're sure it's completely open. 'Cuz contining to flush a toilet
against a blocked tank vent can pressurize a tank enough to make it
erupt through the toilet, blow out a fitting or even crack the tank. And
don't try to pump out the tank until you're sure the vent is clear
either...a strong pumpout pulling against a blocked vent can create
enough suction to crack the tank.

--
Peggie
----------

wrote in message
ups.com...
Peggie

The head on our boat is a 3 year old Wilcox Headmate. Should there be
any recirculation of the bowl contents happening when one flushes this
head? Either I have just noticed it or the recirculation is getting
worse.

I'd be grateful for your comments before I open up the head.

Many thanks

Matt

As usual, Peggie tries to act like God Almighty and impress with her
usual line of bull but neglects to answer a simple question. Maybe she
can't read too well.

The answer to your question is NO. There should be no re-circulation of
the waste stream. But it can happen if the pump plunger seal is bad. The
same pump that draws in ambient water also pumps out the sewage. If the
plunger seal is bad there can be mixing of waste and ambient water in
the pump which will result in recirculation.

You need to install a pump rebuild kit. That should take care of your
problem.

Wilbur Hubbard

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 11:38:39 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

There you go again Willie boy, displaying your anti-femail bias. I
warned you in another thread that it might give people odd ideas about
you but you just keep right on doing it.

But then, as Johann Wolfgang von Goethe said, "There is nothing worse
than aggressive stupidity."

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)

wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

It can happen sometimes in still water if the inlet for the pump is
near the outlet.

Peter

wrote in message
On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 11:38:39 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

Peggie a female? Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahhahahahahah! If it looks
like a man, acts like a man and is interested in man things then it's a
man. Get real. I can't think of a single other case where a woman has
proudly set herself up as an authority on everything to do with yacht
sewage. Would any real woman do that, let alone have here entire life
and legacy defined by it?

With so many women these days acting like men you might think my
statements outrageous but try looking at it from a different perspective
and you'll see the logic in it. Try thinking about a man who decided to
set himself up an expert, defines himself by and has his entire life
revolve around something totally female such as being an authority on
breast feeding. See what I mean?

Wilbur Hubbard

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 10:23:41 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 11:38:39 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

wrote in message
groups.com...
[...]

Willie boy, I've noticed you using this phrase before. Is it supposed
to represent you breaking wind or perhaps a belch? Very difficult to
tell from your rather crude spelling attempt.

Regarding women's work and men's work your arguments are about as
stupid as it is possible to be. Why shouldn't a woman become an
authority on sewage systems? You can't possible have lived as long as
you claim to have with out discovering that women actually use
toilets. (And probably clean a hell of a lot more of them then men
do,too).

Willies boy, I'm afraid you are the subject that Martin Luther King,
Jr. was discussing when he said "Nothing in the world is more
dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)

Wilbur,
I take issue with your critisim of Peggy. She is one of the top contributers
to this forum. Her expert advise and her vast experience is of great help to
the readers here and I for on, listen very carefully to everything she says.
In this case, your point is well taken, but it does not negate any of her
response. Your critisism does not elevate your esteem within the group, it
only detracts from it. So, if that was your intent, you have been
successful.
Steve

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...

"Steve Lusardi" wrote in message
Wilbur,
I take issue with your critisim of Peggy. She is one of the top
contributers to this forum. Her expert advise and her vast experience is
of great help to the readers here and I for on, listen very carefully to
everything she says. In this case, your point is well taken, but it does
not negate any of her response. Your critisism does not elevate your
esteem within the group, it only detracts from it. So, if that was your
intent, you have been successful.
Steve

That's the object of all trolls, especially this one. You guys are getting
lead by the nose by Neal, which is exactly what he wants.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Steve Lusardi" wrote in message
Wilbur,
I take issue with your critisim of Peggy. She is one of the top
contributers to this forum. Her expert advise and her vast experience
is of great help to the readers here and I for on, listen very
carefully to everything she says. In this case, your point is well
taken, but it does not negate any of her response. Your critisism does
not elevate your esteem within the group, it only detracts from it.
So, if that was your intent, you have been successful.

I will never accept politically correct speech. My esteem in the eyes of
the group is the least of my worries. Was I not correct in pointing out
how Peggie managed to do everything but answer a simple question? How
good is advice when it's so generic that it doesn't address the issue?
Is it not valid to point out this failing? If she honestly is more
interested in sewage issues than self-image I'm sure even she would
admit I speak truly.

Have you noticed that the art of listening to a question and answering
it simply, directly and honestly is a lost art. If you don't think so
just listen to any politician side-step any question and go off on a
tangent. This is exactly what Peggie has done. Her response did not
answer the question. On the contrary, her response insulted the poster's
intelligence by indicating he did not know the difference between a back
up and waste in the ambient water stream. As a man I find this insulting
to my gender. I see no reason to abide it.

Wilbur Hubbard