Default Voltage regulator advice needed

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 09:44:06 -0400, "Roger Long"
wrote:

wrote

Ah Roger, you must be one of the younger generation who dosen't
remember "Bendex" starters where rotation of the starter drove a
pinion gear out a spiral shaft to engage the ring gear on the
flywheel.

I sure do. I had just that arrangement on the airplane I took care of and
flew until a couple years ago. Remember, when you fly GA aircraft, you are
trapped in a WWII era technology time warp due to the stifling of innovation
and improvement by FAA paperwork.

I had to go out and lube that Bendix twice a month with silicone spray to be
sure it would disengage because it was right up in front where any rain
drove straight in as the plane flew.

Back in the good old days (automobile days that is) you took a squirt
can of kerosine and squirted the bendix occasionally. Of course, when
one of ours stuck and wouldn't disengaged and started to sound like a
siren we could get out and run....

What is the story on these home built or kit planes? I thought that
they could get, at least little way, away from the FAA.and all of its
guidelines and regulations.

Back when I was in grade school my father belonged to a club that flew
off a grass field. J-3 first and later upgraded to a taylorcraft that
had real adjustable trim tabs. I remember that there were regulations
but I didn't remember all the hoopala that I read about in the flying
magazines today.

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)

wrote:

[...]

Thanks folks for all the input and great suggestions!

I have located a 2nd hand original regulator from a gentleman in the
UK (ain't the net grand!??!). I will, more than likely, take both the
alternator and the starting generator out to have them inspected prior
to installing the new regulator. I truly think that after 35 years,
the regulator had just had enough and it was time to pass on to
greener pastures, but I know not to trust that theory entirely...this
is a boat after all!!! grin

It also looks like I have a few days of pencil and notebook ahead of
me tracing the lines back to create a more "up-to-date" schematic that
even I can understand and see if I can figure out how all this wiring
was done. Eventually I will seek out a re-power, but finances are not
going to allow for that (at least for a few years), so if I can patch
her up enough to get a few more seasons out of her, I will be happy.

Chris

wrote

What is the story on these home built or kit planes? I thought that
they could get, at least little way, away from the FAA.and all of its
guidelines and regulations.

This wasn't a kit plane. It was a 1976 Cessna 172 N, probably the best
behaved aircraft ever designed.

--
Roger Long

wrote:

[...]

Oh...I will also pop the cover off this new unit and check the
contacts there as well. I have been assured that it is in good working
condition, but since I will be cleaning all the other points of
contact prior to reinstalling everything, I may as well check that
too...

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 11:22:47 -0400, "Roger Long"
wrote:

wrote

What is the story on these home built or kit planes? I thought that
they could get, at least little way, away from the FAA.and all of its
guidelines and regulations.

This wasn't a kit plane. It was a 1976 Cessna 172 N, probably the best
behaved aircraft ever designed.

I did a little work on cessna's in Vietnam the two place (I think 170)
model and the later pusher-puller thing with the retractable landing
gear. By the way, they ferried those push-pull airplanes from the
states to Vietnam.

Was your's a tail dragger?

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)

"Roger Long" wrote in
:

Question: Would it be foolish to just swap in another regulator and
see what happens? Judging from the terminals, it's been fairly moist
in it's location. Could it have just gone bad on its own or is there
likely an underlying problem.

Yes, foolish. INTERNAL electronic voltage regulators are thousands of
times more sensitive and better for the batteries, and do not corrode
like buzzers do. It's time to join the 20th....er, ah....21st century.

Skip's 94A beast, made in China of course, has but 3 connections.....

ON - 12V when you want to turn the alternator "on" to make current
Battery - where you send the current to to recharge
Ground - Battery negative hooked to the frame of it.

An AC voltage output is available if you insist on a tach reading.

Dump all the wires to the external mechanical regulator and feed the
engine on switch's output to turn on the regulator. It draws nearly zero
current as it is only a control wire, not providing rotor current which
the regulator steals from the battery post inside the alternator.

It's very simple....

No, tri gear.

--
Roger Long

On 2007-08-16 11:22:47 -0400, "Roger Long" said:

This wasn't a kit plane. It was a 1976 Cessna 172 N, probably the best
behaved aircraft ever designed.

My assessment, as well. There was a reason Cessnas held something like
90% of the trainer market when I did my training.

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD

Was it the alternator or the voltage regulator? [email protected] General 5 December 2nd 06 02:15 PM
Adjustable voltage regulator [email protected] Electronics 0 February 7th 05 02:17 PM
Voltage Regulator. Is it working? Don in Austin Texas General 7 September 21st 04 06:31 PM
voltage regulator SaladinoJA General 0 June 10th 04 12:46 PM
voltage regulator SaladinoJA General 8 June 9th 04 05:54 PM