Default Look Out! (or, night watches)

I gather from catching up on the various digests of this group I
receive that I wasn't clear in my night watch routine.

Every 15 minutes I break and do the full scan. At night, lights
appear considerably closer than they really are, so I can usually see
one well before it's of any interest on a collision level.

OTOH, in the middle of the night, with a sea above several inches,
you're a far better lookout than I if you can see anything smaller
than Wilbur's submarine, if it's not lit and so small as to not show
on the radar.

Our radar will pick up crab pots, unlit day marks, and other such
sized items. I don't use radar as my sole source. Rather I use it to
track objects I can't yet see. The 15 minute (or less - another
inadequately clear number; I have a max of 15, and look whenever I
think of it or something else brings me to that screen) reference was
to radar reference. If there's nothing there, I check it again in 15
(or less).

Meanwhile the visual scan goes on. The chartplotter is turned to zero
illumination (as is the radar, as they share the same screen), which
is plenty (I don't know what they illuminate with, but it's adequate,
but not dark) with full night vision. Much of the time I have a towel
over it to minimize even that, and rely on the red-lit compass to
assure that Otto is still on task. My routine when I do the
chartplotter/radar is to cycle it from max to minimum range, and in
the case of the chartplotter, look forward in small scale along the
route we're on. That's to make sure we're not going to find some rock
that Otto will run right over just because he's going to a waypoint
and it's in between him and the WP. In the case of radar, it's to see
those pots, as well as the container ship that's over the visual
horizon.

Touch typing rules in the dark. I make a few typos but the spell
checker catches them when I review them before I get internet
connectivity (which is why you see posts from me in bunches over some
days, rather than in real time)....

Now, I'm off to the shower, and up anchor (figuratively - we're
casting off) in the morning, up the ICW...

Y'all have at it; I'll not see it for a while :{))

L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
Follow us at http://groups.google.com/group/flyingpiglog and/or

make it
come true. You may have to work for it however."
(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in its
hands.
You seek problems because you need their gifts."
(Richard Bach, in The Reluctant Messiah)

Bob Bob is offline

On Aug 11, 9:03 pm, Skip Gundlach wrote:
I gather from catching up on the various digests of this group I
receive that I wasn't clear in my night watch routine.

Okay, Please elaborate.

Every 15 minutes I break and do the full scan.

Radar only?????????????????????????????????

At night, lights
appear considerably closer than they really are, so I can usually see
one well before it's of any interest on a collision level.

Bull****

OTOH, in the middle of the night, with a sea above several inches,

Thats sea state is called, "smother than a baby's ass" or "flatter
than glass."

you're a far better lookout than I if you can see anything smaller
than Wilbur's submarine, if it's not lit and so small as to not show
on the radar.

Hey................. dont laugh about the submarine story. It happend
to me too. ALso my step dad snaged one while towing for rockfish off
Oregon coast in the late 60s.

You still have not actually told me what you do!

Our radar will pick up crab pots, unlit day marks, and other such
sized items. I don't use radar as my sole source.

Please list the other sourse of Lookout information:

Rather I use it to
track objects I can't yet see.

Oh, so you are testifying that you are on deck conducting line of
sight observations??

The 15 minute (or less - another
inadequately clear number; I have a max of 15, and look whenever I
think of it or something else brings me to that screen) reference was
to radar reference. If there's nothing there, I check it again in 15
(or less).

?????????????? Im confused. Just exactly where are you and what are
you doing?

Meanwhile the visual scan goes on.

Oh, so you are outside on deck, and watching 360 degrees continuasly?
then how the hell do you find time to type these lenghty documents?
that kind of typing takes time..... time you aint on deck. So which is
it: you on deck or you typing?

The chartplotter is turned to zero
illumination (as is the radar, as they share the same screen), which
is plenty (I don't know what they illuminate with, but it's adequate,
but not dark) with full night vision. Much of the time I have a towel
over it to minimize even that, and rely on the red-lit compass to
assure that Otto is still on task. My routine when I do the
chartplotter/radar is to cycle it from max to minimum range, and in
the case of the chartplotter, look forward in small scale along the
route we're on. That's to make sure we're not going to find some rock
that Otto will run right over just because he's going to a waypoint
and it's in between him and the WP. In the case of radar, it's to see
those pots, as well as the container ship that's over the visual
horizon.

I hate to be blunt Skip, but what the **** are you trying to say here?
I want to hear: "I am on deck listening... felling the wind n my face,
searching the darkness with my eyes. **** the gizmos. You are the
LOOKOUT! Not some machine you name Auto.

Touch typing rules in the dark. I make a few typos but the spell
checker catches them when I review them before I get internet
connectivity (which is why you see posts from me in bunches over some
days, rather than in real time)....

Now, I'm off to the shower, and up anchor (figuratively - we're
casting off) in the morning, up the ICW...

SKIP, tie the boat up and go to one of the many schools availible in
that area. GO TO A COURSE CALLED, Rating Forming Part Of A Navigation
Watch (RFPNW).

http://www.mptusa.com/professional/uscg_deck.html#RFPNW

It is designed for thoes who are Able Seaman (AB). A deck grunt (AB)
is to be a LOOKOUT on vessels. The ABs steer ships and stand OUTSIDE
listening and watching as a LOOKOUT. THEY ARE OUTSIDE WITH THE WIND IN
THEIR FACE. Why, cuse the 2M (uhh, second mate) dont want to get put
in jail for lacking a LOOKOUT!!!!
The typical RFPNW lasts ONLY 2-3 days and cost a few hudred bucks.
TAKE IT ............PLEASE ! ! !

ALso another good class to take is "RADAR Observer Unlimited". thats
about 5 days. TAKE IT.......... PLEASE ! ! !

http://www.mptusa.com/courses/radar_...unlimited.html

Skip, you have a 46 foot vessel. For Gods sakes. That comes with a lot
of responsibility. Good ole Auto will put you T-bone to another boat
and, God forbid they die and their survivors take everthig you
have........ Last time it was just a beach. Lucky it did not belong to
the Nature COnvergency. They would have ur ass in court by now if so.
Trusts and Corporations will NOT protect your assetts regardless what
ur attorney says ! Say good bye to ur retirment and 401 and mutual
funds and and CDs, and ROTH and home and and DO YOU GET THE PICTURE
YET ! ! ! !

Bob

"Bob" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I fear you're wasting your time, Bob.

I used to think Skip was just a bit incompetent. Now I know he's totally
incompetent but I've learned something else. He's an arrogant asshole
with a nobody-can-tell-me-anything attitude. One of these days he'll
come to grief and it won't bother me one iota. People like him don't
survive long as boaters. What bothers me is how so many people here seem
to think the way he sails and reports on his ineptitude is just standard
operating procedure. People like Skip do nothing but contribute to
sailing being viewed as just going out there and blundering around.

Wilbur Hubbard

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 14:09:06 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Bob" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Gee, now we got two of 'em on the net...... But one of them has a real
name and a real e-mail address.....
Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)

wrote in message

He's an arrogant asshole with a nobody-can-tell-me-anything attitude.

Gee, now we got two of 'em on the net...... But one of them has a real
name and a real e-mail address.....
Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)

Good point! I misspoke. I should have said, "He's an arrogant 'amateur'
asshole with a nobody-can-tell-me-anything attitude." That little
omitted word, "amateur" is the difference between Skip and I. I have the
knowledge, the experience and the wisdom. It's about impossible for me
to learn anything new from the average run-of-the-mill sailor these
days. I've learned something from you, though. I've learned that it's
kinda sad thinking about how when you get to a certain old age your
dreams and your ability to continue cruising fly right out the window.
But, I suppose Thailand isn't that bad a place to spend your last couple
of years on this planet. But, take my advice. At least get off that
dock. Why slum it like that? What years you have left to you, do them in
style. Anchor or moor out like a real sailor.

Wilbur Hubbard

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 11:24:49 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Willy, any time someone tells me that "It's about impossible for me
to learn anything new from the average run-of-the-mill sailor these
days" is exhibiting an ignorance that is almost unbelievable. Have you
ever heard the expression, "there are old pilots and there are bold
pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots"? Well the same concept
applies to everything in life. Once you get it fixed in your mind that
you can't learn any more then, of course, you can't.

Your statement of "get off the dock" is a perfect example of what I'm
talking about. I'm sure that marinas in America cost a lot of money so
you assume that I must be paying a lot of money to keep the boat in a
marina. But over here marina's are cheaper. I pay less to keep my
sailboat in the marina then I would to rent a room here in Phuket. In
fact probably less then dinghy fuel to go back and forth to the boat
if it was hanging on an anchor. So does it really make me a better
sailor to hang on an anchor and spend money when I can moor alongside
and just step onto the dock, and do it cheaper? Is that your
definition of a sailor -- a poser who does something just so he can
brag that he does it, even though it costs him more money?

I'm still at a loss to understand you statement "I've learned that
it's kinda sad thinking about how when you get to a certain old age
your dreams and your ability to continue cruising fly right out the
window."

We made a trip from Singapore to Phuket in September last year and
will be probably visit the Andaman Islands this year, or maybe cruise
the islands north to the Myanma border, haven't made up our mind yet.
I'm deliberately ignoring the weekend trips to Koh Lanta, Koh Phi Phi,
or just sailing down to Awo Chalong and other weekend trip as they
really can't really be classified as cruising.

Given that I'm willing to talk about where I've sailed while you seem
rather reticent about your "cruising" it makes me wonder about your
"cruising".

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)

wrote in message
On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 11:24:49 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
We made a trip from Singapore to Phuket in September last year and
will be probably visit the Andaman Islands this year, or maybe cruise
the islands north to the Myanma border, haven't made up our mind yet.
I'm deliberately ignoring the weekend trips to Koh Lanta, Koh Phi Phi,
or just sailing down to Awo Chalong and other weekend trip as they
really can't really be classified as cruising.

Given that I'm willing to talk about where I've sailed while you seem
rather reticent about your "cruising" it makes me wonder about your
"cruising".

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)

Bruce, everyone knows that REAL sailors stay the hell out of Thailand. ;-)

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 22:41:33 -0500, "KLC Lewis"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 11:24:49 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
We made a trip from Singapore to Phuket in September last year and
will be probably visit the Andaman Islands this year, or maybe cruise
the islands north to the Myanma border, haven't made up our mind yet.
I'm deliberately ignoring the weekend trips to Koh Lanta, Koh Phi Phi,
or just sailing down to Awo Chalong and other weekend trip as they
really can't really be classified as cruising.

Given that I'm willing to talk about where I've sailed while you seem
rather reticent about your "cruising" it makes me wonder about your
"cruising".

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)

Bruce, everyone knows that REAL sailors stay the hell out of Thailand. ;-)

Say what? More boats coming every year. Wish you would spread the word
around so some of them would stay away.

Was really nice when I first moved the boat here. Marinas only about a
quarter full, the office was a shipping container they were so broke.
Offer to pay in advance and get 30% discount, plus they'd eat the
sales tax. Now we got the tourists and it has all changed.

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)

wrote:
Bruce, everyone knows that REAL sailors stay the hell out of Thailand. ;-)

Say what? More boats coming every year. Wish you would spread the word
around so some of them would stay away.

Was really nice when I first moved the boat here. Marinas only about a
quarter full, the office was a shipping container they were so broke.
Offer to pay in advance and get 30% discount, plus they'd eat the
sales tax. Now we got the tourists and it has all changed.

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)

Your country has been on TV too much. The secret's out. ;-)

Sailing Watches Jack Dale Cruising 12 March 8th 06 05:35 AM
Quick poll-favorite/least favorite watches John Cairns ASA 6 January 23rd 06 04:36 PM
A night before ........... Wm Shakespeare Smithers General 1 December 15th 05 06:20 PM
Night Night, my little fishies! Bobsprit ASA 3 January 27th 04 03:03 AM