Default US Customs Decals

"Larry" wrote in message
"KLC Lewis" wrote in
et:

Or the IRS. They'll give you faulty information and then fine you for
following it.

And, the truth is, they have no LAW to base their charges on...

Drop by youtube and do a search for Aaron Russo, who produced major
hollywood movies like The Rose with Bette Midler, etc. Russo made a
documentary about our money system and it's an amazing piece of work.
IRS cops even tried to tell him he could not film the building in DC.
What he found is most amazing, indeed.....

Larry
--
103F in South Carolina, now....and rising.
Hope the heat and load don't melt the power grid....

Yes, I know. And I believe it to be the truth. But they have many more guns
than I do.

KLC Lewis wrote:
: My diesel genset is in standby...(c;

:Yes, I know. And I believe it to be the truth. But they have many more guns
:than I do.

And a better grip on reality, too.

On Aug 7, 3:39 pm, "Roger Long" wrote:
I read either on a web site or in the cruising guide (brain fade) a couple
weeks ago that you need to get a decal from US Customs to facilitate
re-entry on return from Canada. It's looking up for my fall trip to Saint
John so I called Customs here in Portland to ask if the decal was something
I could get just by stopping in. The fellow who answered the phone groaned
and said something like, "Some magazine printed that a while back and it
just won't die. There is no decal. We had something like that years ago for
the Great Lakes where people go back and forth a lot but so many people
thought it meant they didn't need to clear Customs that we discontinued it."

I asked him if there was anything I could or should do before departing for
Canada to make the clearance back easier and he said, "No".

--
Roger Long

Yes, you have to have a customs sticker. All boats entering US waters
from abraod, US or foreign registry must obtain the sticker. Cost is
$25. No, you can't just drop into the office, but I think you might
be able to pay the fee and apply at the port of entry. It would
probably significantly complicate your reentry. It certainly did for
us in Puerto Rico. Much easier to apply on line--they respond very
fast according to my personal experience. Go to
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/pl..._fee_decal.xml

Peter
s/v Now or Never!

On Aug 7, 4:39 pm, "Roger Long" wrote:
I read either on a web site or in the cruising guide (brain fade) a couple
weeks ago that you need to get a decal from US Customs to facilitate
re-entry on return from Canada. It's looking up for my fall trip to Saint
John so I called Customs here in Portland to ask if the decal was something
I could get just by stopping in. The fellow who answered the phone groaned
and said something like, "Some magazine printed that a while back and it
just won't die. There is no decal. We had something like that years ago for
the Great Lakes where people go back and forth a lot but so many people
thought it meant they didn't need to clear Customs that we discontinued it."

I asked him if there was anything I could or should do before departing for
Canada to make the clearance back easier and he said, "No".

--
Roger Long

Roger,

I got the decal over the web and it was useful last summer coming back
from New Brunswick (actually the agent didn't look at the decal
itself but he did refer to the paper form that came with the
sticker). For the money, I also wish the government could come up with
a more impressive design. Just a number. No eagle or flag or anything.

Also, despite what the customs web site says, do not try to clear in
Jonesport. This seemed like a smart idea to avoid the Eastport tides
or a long sail to Bar Harbor but the customs agent had to drive from
Bar Harbor and it took about three hours. Said he'd never been to
Jonesport all summer - and this was August 15. He apologized for
keeping us waiting and was friendly and efficient. Driving to
Jonesport was probably the most interesting thing he'd done all week.

Carl

Roger,

A few more "lessons learned" going to Canada:

Canada really cares about how much booze you bring in. Here's from
their web site:

You are allowed to import only one of the following amounts of alcohol
free of duty and taxes:

1.5 litres (53 imperial ounces) of wine;
1.14 litres (40 ounces) of liquor;
a total of 1.14 litres (40 ounces) of wine and liquor; or
24 x 355 millilitre (12 ounces) cans or bottles (maximum of 8.5
litres) of beer or ale.

The mistake I made was assuming each line above ended with an "AND"
rather than the "OR". Luckily someone set me straight before I
arrived. There are stories of Canadian customs making examples of
cruising folks. In my case, I decided to give a case of beer and a
bottle of single malt Scotch to a most surprised lobsterman off
Cutler.

Canada offers a really handy 800 number to call on your cell phone
when you enter. What they don't like (don't ask me how I know) is for
someone to say that they anchored for the night in Canada - staying
aboard - and called the 800 number first thing in the morning. I guess
I was supposed to call the moment my bow crosses into their
territorial waters.

Carl

Peter wrote:

[...]

WRONG - only boats over 30 feet have to have a sticker. My SILs boat
which is 27 feet doesn't have one and can't get one.

I'm not sure that foreign boats can get the sticker.

$25. No, you can't just drop into the office, but I think you might
be able to pay the fee and apply at the port of entry. It would

It is now $27.50. We got our first one when we came back to the US
for the first time - just went to the office at the port and filled
out the application and paid. Just like we did when we entered the
Bahamas - went up to the customs office and paid.

probably significantly complicate your reentry. It certainly did for
us in Puerto Rico. Much easier to apply on line--they respond very
fast according to my personal experience. Go to
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/pl..._fee_decal.xml

Peter
s/v Now or Never!

Ryk Ryk is offline

On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 11:09:03 -0400, in message

Rosalie B. wrote:

I'm not sure that foreign boats can get the sticker.

My Canadian boat has a decal. I've entered the US (on Lake Ontario and
the St. Lawrence) both with and without a valid decal and have never
been asked for the number.

Ryk

Rosalie B. wrote:

I'm not sure that foreign boats can get the sticker.

My Canadian boat has a decal. I've entered the US (on Lake Ontario and
the St. Lawrence) both with and without a valid decal and have never
been asked for the number.

Ryk

http://boating.ncf.ca/usborder.html The decal issue and others are
covered.

Wilbur Hubbard

Joe Joe is offline

Rosalie B. wrote:

I'm not sure that foreign boats can get the sticker.

My Canadian boat has a decal. I've entered the US (on Lake Ontario and
the St. Lawrence) both with and without a valid decal and have never
been asked for the number.

Ryk

http://boating.ncf.ca/usborder.html The decal issue and others are
covered.

Wilbur Hubbard

Decals..decals..more decals
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/pl..._fee_decal.xml

Joe

Australian customs flaw JohnM Cruising 20 December 29th 06 01:21 PM
BVI customs fees krj Cruising 8 June 29th 06 12:36 AM
USVI customs krj Cruising 3 August 7th 05 12:58 AM
US Customs & Imagration border changes!! Steve Cruising 11 April 22nd 05 08:54 PM
Customs in the San Juans [email protected] General 5 July 27th 04 05:19 PM