krj

Default USVI customs

With all the changes in customs/immigration, no more phone in, everyone
has to go to immigration in person etc., does anyone know if a US
documented vessel sailing directly from a port in the US to the US
Virgin Islands has to clear customs there?
krj
Glenn Ashmore

Yes you do have to clear in but it only takes about 10 minutes. You can
clear at the ferry dock in Charlotte Amalie or Cruz Bay. Hours are 8 to 5
with an hour off at noon. There is no fee except for overtime on Sunday. If
you check in on Sunday you will be billed several weeks later for a prorata
share depending on how many boats clear that day. ($25 max ) All crew
members have to be present and after December all must have passports. It
is very rare for a boat to make the run down without stopping so you might
want to bring along your log book to show your last port.

You can anchor out by Hassel Island and dinghy over to the CA Ferry Terminal
or Caneel Bay and dinghy around to Cruz Bay. They occasionally require the
boat to be presented for inspection so I find it easier to either tie up
warfside about 100 yards east of the terminal at CA or go into the creek at
Cruz Bay. You may have to hold position for half hour or so in the creek if
a BVI ferry is clearing in.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"krj" wrote in message
With all the changes in customs/immigration, no more phone in, everyone
has to go to immigration in person etc., does anyone know if a US
documented vessel sailing directly from a port in the US to the US Virgin
Islands has to clear customs there?
krj

Steve

I can't answer your specific question, however, regarding "phone in" US
customs clearance;

I just returned from Canada and did the "Phone In" and my only problem was
my lack of the $25 US Customs decal for the current year. They were glad to
clear me in if I would provide a Credit Card Number so they could issue the
Decal (mail it to my home address).

Before departing, I went through the hassle of getting I-68 forms for myself
and crew (at about $30 each plus $15 for passport photos) and never had to
produce these for anyone. When I phoned in, they were only interested in the
Customs Decal number.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions
"krj" wrote in message
With all the changes in customs/immigration, no more phone in, everyone
has to go to immigration in person etc., does anyone know if a US
documented vessel sailing directly from a port in the US to the US Virgin
Islands has to clear customs there?
krj

krj

I guess they have different rules for different locations. Here in Ft.
Lauderdale and Miami, you have to have the $25 sticker and you still
have to have all persons on board report IN PERSON to immigration. This
means getting a car and driving to immigration at the airport. Depending
on where you put in, this could be 50-60 miles round trip. I bet the
illegals don't check in.
krj