Default Customs in the San Juans

Anybody have recent experience coming and going thru customs between the San Juans and
Victoria? I'm planning just 7 days and my wife really wants to se Butchart Gardens but
not if it means hours sitting each way...
Don

I have been across the border from Blaine a couple of times recently. I
cleared at the dock in White Rock, called in on a cell phone from the dock
and was cleared in minutes. Coming back was a little more time consuming
because the US Customs department has a new system that required all my
information to be entered into some kind of computer form that had a lot of
pull-down choices that the agent needed to find and relate to my
information. He was not really quick about it but he was friendly and
talkative, and explained why the delay. I had all my information handy -
boat numbers, passport numbers, my annual decal was up to date, etc. I just
called in with a cell phone from my first point of contact in the US, which
was Blaine, my home marina.

I've crossed many times in the last 15 years with hardly any difference
since 9/11, although I think I may be well known (in some database) so that
may make it easier for me. I've never been boarded or greatly questioned.

If you cross into Canada at Bedwell or Sidney you may actually see an agent
in person, which may make it easier even though you may have a longer wait
if there is a lineup at the dock. Coming back into the US you will need to
enter at one of the ports of entry - Blaine, Anacortes, Friday Harbor, Roche
Harbor or some other listed port. Same idea going into Canada, although
there are some ports where you only phone in as I did in White Rock.

Going to Butchart Gardens, if you go straight to Saanich inlet, there is an
authorized Canadian port of entry at Angler's Marina (IIRC) in Brentwood Bay
and you just phone from the dock. It's been a few years since I did that so
make sure you check my facts. Another choice is to enter at Oak Bay, but
Sidney might be more convenient if you want to land before Brentwood Bay.

Have a good trip!

Don
wrote in message
Anybody have recent experience coming and going thru customs between the

San Juans and
Victoria? I'm planning just 7 days and my wife really wants to se

Butchart Gardens but
not if it means hours sitting each way...

Don

Hmm. Just had a look at the Canadian Customs list of entry ports and
Angler's Anchorage in Brentwood Bay is no longer in use. You'll need to
clear at Sidney, Bedwell, or some other port.

Don

wrote in message
Anybody have recent experience coming and going thru customs between the

San Juans and
Victoria? I'm planning just 7 days and my wife really wants to se

Butchart Gardens but
not if it means hours sitting each way...

Jack Dale

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 06:32:39 GMT, "Don"
wrote:

Hmm. Just had a look at the Canadian Customs list of entry ports and
Angler's Anchorage in Brentwood Bay is no longer in use. You'll need to
clear at Sidney, Bedwell, or some other port.

Sidney has two customs docks - Port Sidney and the gas dock at Van
Isle marina in Tsehum Harbour.

Jack

Jack Dale
Swiftsure Sailing Academy
Director/ISPA and CYA Instructor
http://www.swiftsuresailing.com
Phone: 1 (877) 470-SAIL (toll free)
Tom Watson

Hi
we just went for a visit to my cousins on orcas in the san Juan islands
and customs was a unique experience both ways! the sidney customs has a
direct line right on the dock(you have to look for the phone because the
sign is facing the water and you can miss it!...we did) a phone call on
both sides was all that was needed! ....although! I've heard that there
has been smuggling and this is not always the case!!!
Tom