Default US Customs Decals

I read either on a web site or in the cruising guide (brain fade) a couple
weeks ago that you need to get a decal from US Customs to facilitate
re-entry on return from Canada. It's looking up for my fall trip to Saint
John so I called Customs here in Portland to ask if the decal was something
I could get just by stopping in. The fellow who answered the phone groaned
and said something like, "Some magazine printed that a while back and it
just won't die. There is no decal. We had something like that years ago for
the Great Lakes where people go back and forth a lot but so many people
thought it meant they didn't need to clear Customs that we discontinued it."

I asked him if there was anything I could or should do before departing for
Canada to make the clearance back easier and he said, "No".

--
Roger Long

I'm not sure the info you got is accurate. I have a "customs &
border patrol" decal that must be renewed each year ($25.), It says
"aircraft/vessel" on it. If this is what you're referring to, I think
you need one.

wrote

I'm not sure the info you got is accurate. I have a "customs &
border patrol" decal that must be renewed each year ($25.), It says
"aircraft/vessel" on it. If this is what you're referring to, I think
you need one.

Well, it was the fellow who answered the phone when I called the Customs
number here in Portland, Maine. I can believe that any US agency could be
so screwed up that they would give out such rank information but, do you
think so?

Can anyone else shed any light? If Customs doesn't know, who does?

Where are you located BTW? Maybe they do it differently in different
regions. He said it was originally a Great Lakes program.

--
Roger Long

"Roger Long" wrote:

wrote

I'm not sure the info you got is accurate. I have a "customs &
border patrol" decal that must be renewed each year ($25.), It says
"aircraft/vessel" on it. If this is what you're referring to, I think
you need one.

Well, it was the fellow who answered the phone when I called the Customs
number here in Portland, Maine. I can believe that any US agency could be
so screwed up that they would give out such rank information but, do you
think so?

Can anyone else shed any light? If Customs doesn't know, who does?

Where are you located BTW? Maybe they do it differently in different
regions. He said it was originally a Great Lakes program.

It wasn't. He may be thinking of another program which WAS a Great
Lakes program for people who go back and forth frequently. (Was it the
I-68 Form?)

Customs and INS POE "local rules": Both Customs and INS POEs have "local" rules, which are communicated through locally produced flyers and boater word-of-mouth communications. Neither Customs nor INS has a " Central Office" that can speak on the many Great Lakes POE "local" rules.

....Customs requires that all boats 30 feet and more display an annual $25 Vessel User Fee Decal.

We had to get the decal when we came back from the Bahamas in 2000. We
had to go to the Customs Office in Miami to get it. I got a renewal
the following year by mail.

This is what the
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/pl..._fee_decal.xml
US Customs website says:

On April 7, 1986, President Ronald Reagan signed the Consolidate Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1985 (COBRA) (P.L. 99-272), which authorizes the U.S. Customs Service to collect user fees for various services. The law, initially established processing fees for air and sea passengers, commercial trucks, rail cars, private vessels, dutiable mail packages, and Customs broker permits. The collection of the COBRA fees for Customs services began on July 7, 1986.

The User Fee was established to offset inspection costs that were previously funded solely by general taxpayer revenue.

User Fee Payment Required
Payment of the User Fee is required if:

* You operate a vehicle for commercial purposes that enters the United States.
* You operate a private vessel that is 30 feet or more in length that enters the United States.
* In order to qualify as a private vessel requiring a decal, the vessel cannot carry passengers who pay a fare.
* You operate an aircraft, which is non-commercial and enters the United States.

There is more detailed information related to the requirements of the User Fee in the Code of Federal Regulations: 19 CFR 24.22.

Cost of Annual User Fee
2007 costs of the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) User Fees are as follows:

* Private Aircraft Decal: $27.50 (U.S.) per calendar year*
* Private Vessel Decal (30 feet or more in length): $27.50 (U.S.) per calendar year*
* Commercial Vehicle User Fee – $100.00 – U.S. CBP, $105.00 – Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS)
o Canadian Border – $205.00 (U.S.) per calendar year
o Mexican Border – $205.00 (U.S.) per calendar year

Note the price has gone up to $27.50

Decal Information
Decals are stickers that are placed on all private aircraft and private vessels (30 feet or more in length) as proof that the User Fee for entry into the U.S. has been paid for the calendar year. If a vessel or aircraft does not have a decal upon entering the U.S., an application must be completed and a User Fee purchased when reporting to CBP. The decal will be mailed from the processing center.

Hey, what do you know. It says right here

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/pl..._fee_decal.xml

that I need one because my boat is 32 feet. If I don't have one, I have to
fill out an application and pay the fee upon my re-entry and they will mail
me one.

Lesson: Don't believe anything you are told by phone when you call a US
Agency. Can you believe it?

--
Roger Long

"Roger Long" wrote:

Hey, what do you know. It says right here

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/pl..._fee_decal.xml

that I need one because my boat is 32 feet. If I don't have one, I have to
fill out an application and pay the fee upon my re-entry and they will mail
me one.

Lesson: Don't believe anything you are told by phone when you call a US
Agency. Can you believe it?

Of course - I used to answer phone for a government agency. So I know
that some of the phone answerers don't know.. from a defecation
product.

On Tue, 7 Aug 2007 17:33:00 -0400, "Roger Long"
wrote:

Can anyone else shed any light? If Customs doesn't know, who does?

You need the decal for boats over 30 ft, actually a small sticker with
a serial number on it, or are required to purchase one on your return.
We got one last year prior to our Abacos trip and were asked for the
serial number when we returned. They are sold on a web site which
was confusing to use when I signed up but eventually figured it out.
The fee has been raised to $27.50 as of April 2007.

http://www.customs.gov/xp/cgov/trave...ew_england.xml

and

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/pl..._fee_decal.xml

and

https://tradelinks4.mellon.com/cbp/Dispatcher

"Roger Long" wrote in news:46b8e4f2$0$3139
:

I can believe that any US agency could be
so screwed up that they would give out such rank information but, do you
think so?

You, obviously, have never had to deal with the Dept of Education....(c;

Larry

"Larry" wrote in message
"Roger Long" wrote in news:46b8e4f2$0$3139
:

I can believe that any US agency could be
so screwed up that they would give out such rank information but, do you
think so?

You, obviously, have never had to deal with the Dept of Education....(c;

Larry
--

Or the IRS. They'll give you faulty information and then fine you for
following it.

"KLC Lewis" wrote in
et:

Or the IRS. They'll give you faulty information and then fine you for
following it.

And, the truth is, they have no LAW to base their charges on...

Drop by youtube and do a search for Aaron Russo, who produced major
hollywood movies like The Rose with Bette Midler, etc. Russo made a
documentary about our money system and it's an amazing piece of work.
IRS cops even tried to tell him he could not film the building in DC.
What he found is most amazing, indeed.....

Larry
--
103F in South Carolina, now....and rising.
Hope the heat and load don't melt the power grid....

Australian customs flaw JohnM Cruising 20 December 29th 06 01:21 PM
BVI customs fees krj Cruising 8 June 29th 06 12:36 AM
USVI customs krj Cruising 3 August 7th 05 12:58 AM
US Customs & Imagration border changes!! Steve Cruising 11 April 22nd 05 08:54 PM
Customs in the San Juans [email protected] General 5 July 27th 04 05:19 PM