Richard

Default BVI Charter Co's. - Good and Bad Ones?

We are planning a 10 day charter to the BVI's and note that there are many
charter companies who all purport to be the best. For those that have 'been
there, done that', what have your impressions be about the company that you
chartered with? With regards to sailing in the BVI's what are your 'lessons
learned' - what worked and what didn't work? TIA. Much appreciated.

---

Kelton Joyner

I have chartered with the Moorings in the BVI and the windwards several
times. They provide great service, trouble free boats, lots of local
knowledge, will do full, partial or no provisioning (we always provision
ourselves). The Ample Hamper in West End has an online site that you can
order provisions and they will deliver to the Moorings dock.
While you can get "bargain" charters, remember, you get what you pay
for. You also get what you don't pay for at the low-cost charter
companies. Older boats, boat systems that quit part way through your
cruise, etc. If you want more info on local places of interest, dive
sites, etc., send an email.
Kelton
s/v Isle Escape

Richard wrote:
We are planning a 10 day charter to the BVI's and note that there are many
charter companies who all purport to be the best. For those that have 'been
there, done that', what have your impressions be about the company that you
chartered with? With regards to sailing in the BVI's what are your 'lessons
learned' - what worked and what didn't work? TIA. Much appreciated.

---

Frank Maier

"Richard" wroteasked:
We are planning a 10 day charter to the BVI's and note that there are many
charter companies who all purport to be the best. For those that have 'been
there, done that', what have your impressions be about the company that you
chartered with? With regards to sailing in the BVI's what are your 'lessons
learned' - what worked and what didn't work? TIA. Much appreciated.

My $.02, FWIW,

I've used, and been distinctly unhappy with, both The Moorings and
Sunsail. In contrast, I was extremely happy with the "second-tier"
company BVI Yacht Charters; I recommend them highly.

Others may comment that you get what you pay for. I disagree. With The
Moorings and with Sunsail I got less than I paid for. Much less. With
BVI Yacht Charters, I got much more. First class service at affordable
prices. I'll repeat with BVI Yacht Charters. I won't ever use The
Moorings or Sunsail again.

Provision yourself unless you're extremely time constrained. You'll
save a boatload of money and be happier with the results.

Look for out-of-the-way anchorages unless you wanna drop $20/night for
the mooring balls which seems to have infested every popular anchorage
in the Virgins.

Spend some time in the USVIs, St. John, at least.

Frank

Jere Lull

Richard wrote:

We are planning a 10 day charter to the BVI's and note that there are many
charter companies who all purport to be the best. For those that have 'been
there, done that', what have your impressions be about the company that you
chartered with? With regards to sailing in the BVI's what are your 'lessons
learned' - what worked and what didn't work? TIA. Much appreciated.

Lots of my thoughts and experiences are on our BVI pages below,
particularly under "Bareboating tips". The most specific answer to your
question is http://homepage.mac.com/jerelull/BVI/BVIBareboating/Boats.html

The most up-to-date info I've found is on TravelTalkOnline:
http://www.traveltalkonline.com/forums/ubbthreads.php You'll get lots
of others' opinions there.

--
Jere Lull

David Schoonmaker

"Richard" wrote in message e.rogers.com...
We are planning a 10 day charter to the BVI's and note that there are many
charter companies who all purport to be the best. For those that have 'been
there, done that', what have your impressions be about the company that you
chartered with? With regards to sailing in the BVI's what are your 'lessons
learned' - what worked and what didn't work? TIA. Much appreciated.

I've done six charters there, the first of them crewed in the early
'70s, the last five bareboat over the past decade. Four of the
bareboat charters have been with the Moorings, the last one with TMM.

Obviously enough, since I switched companies, I wasn't entirely
pleased with the Moorings. We had two great boats from them, then a
marginal boat and finally a complete tub. It's not a big sample, but
one might infer some overall decline in their operation. At best,
unless you're willing to pay for their premium treatment (the newest
boats), it's something of a crap shoot.

The TMM experience was almost perfect. I like the smaller operation,
its location, the nearby Fort Bert Hotel and the very friendly and
competent staff. Unfortunately, the boat had a infernal mainsail
furler. To deploy it, I had to go to the mast and physically pull the
sail out a foot at a time. I'd much rather have dealt with a hanked-on
sail. Otherwise, the boat had a clean bottom with fresh running
rigging and sails. A pleasure to sail once the #$%^ main was out. In
TMM's defense, I was probably the first person to use the boat that
season, as our charter started on October 16 (anniversary).

We use Ample Hamper for provisioning. We like their selection, and
they've always done what they said they would when they said they
would. It would be cheaper to self-provision, but for me shopping is
work, and this is supposed to be vacation.

What worked: Getting up early and calling it a day early. There's
nothing quite like being the only boat at Sandy Cay, and whether you
anchor or catch a mooring for the night, the parking places go fast.
(Besides, it's a lot more fun to screw up without anyone watching and
then watch others screw up.) I've come to accept moorings, because I
sleep better. I can't recall a single anchorage experience without at
least one boat dragging (thankfully, not mine). Midnight fire drills
are not relaxing.

What didn't work: Taking my nonsailor children clockwise around
Tortola. My wife and I had a wonderful time beating; the offspring got
sick. Unless you have a boatload of avid sailors, counterclockwise
saves the most exposed sailing for the downwind leg. Breakfast at the
Bitter End Yacht Club. Expecting other sailors to know the rules of
the road.

I could go on and on--inded, I have--it being a cold, rainy day in
North Carolina. If you have specifics, just shout.

David Schoonmaker
Durham, NC