Frank Maier

Default BVI Charter Co's. - Good and Bad Ones?

"Richard" wroteasked:
We are planning a 10 day charter to the BVI's and note that there are many
charter companies who all purport to be the best. For those that have 'been
there, done that', what have your impressions be about the company that you
chartered with? With regards to sailing in the BVI's what are your 'lessons
learned' - what worked and what didn't work? TIA. Much appreciated.

My $.02, FWIW,

I've used, and been distinctly unhappy with, both The Moorings and
Sunsail. In contrast, I was extremely happy with the "second-tier"
company BVI Yacht Charters; I recommend them highly.

Others may comment that you get what you pay for. I disagree. With The
Moorings and with Sunsail I got less than I paid for. Much less. With
BVI Yacht Charters, I got much more. First class service at affordable
prices. I'll repeat with BVI Yacht Charters. I won't ever use The
Moorings or Sunsail again.

Provision yourself unless you're extremely time constrained. You'll
save a boatload of money and be happier with the results.

Look for out-of-the-way anchorages unless you wanna drop $20/night for
the mooring balls which seems to have infested every popular anchorage
in the Virgins.

Spend some time in the USVIs, St. John, at least.

Frank