David Schoonmaker

Default BVI Charter Co's. - Good and Bad Ones?

"Richard" wrote in message e.rogers.com...
We are planning a 10 day charter to the BVI's and note that there are many
charter companies who all purport to be the best. For those that have 'been
there, done that', what have your impressions be about the company that you
chartered with? With regards to sailing in the BVI's what are your 'lessons
learned' - what worked and what didn't work? TIA. Much appreciated.

I've done six charters there, the first of them crewed in the early
'70s, the last five bareboat over the past decade. Four of the
bareboat charters have been with the Moorings, the last one with TMM.

Obviously enough, since I switched companies, I wasn't entirely
pleased with the Moorings. We had two great boats from them, then a
marginal boat and finally a complete tub. It's not a big sample, but
one might infer some overall decline in their operation. At best,
unless you're willing to pay for their premium treatment (the newest
boats), it's something of a crap shoot.

The TMM experience was almost perfect. I like the smaller operation,
its location, the nearby Fort Bert Hotel and the very friendly and
competent staff. Unfortunately, the boat had a infernal mainsail
furler. To deploy it, I had to go to the mast and physically pull the
sail out a foot at a time. I'd much rather have dealt with a hanked-on
sail. Otherwise, the boat had a clean bottom with fresh running
rigging and sails. A pleasure to sail once the #$%^ main was out. In
TMM's defense, I was probably the first person to use the boat that
season, as our charter started on October 16 (anniversary).

We use Ample Hamper for provisioning. We like their selection, and
they've always done what they said they would when they said they
would. It would be cheaper to self-provision, but for me shopping is
work, and this is supposed to be vacation.

What worked: Getting up early and calling it a day early. There's
nothing quite like being the only boat at Sandy Cay, and whether you
anchor or catch a mooring for the night, the parking places go fast.
(Besides, it's a lot more fun to screw up without anyone watching and
then watch others screw up.) I've come to accept moorings, because I
sleep better. I can't recall a single anchorage experience without at
least one boat dragging (thankfully, not mine). Midnight fire drills
are not relaxing.

What didn't work: Taking my nonsailor children clockwise around
Tortola. My wife and I had a wonderful time beating; the offspring got
sick. Unless you have a boatload of avid sailors, counterclockwise
saves the most exposed sailing for the downwind leg. Breakfast at the
Bitter End Yacht Club. Expecting other sailors to know the rules of
the road.

I could go on and on--inded, I have--it being a cold, rainy day in
North Carolina. If you have specifics, just shout.

David Schoonmaker
Durham, NC